5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The Fuel-cut TSB is HERE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001 | 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan has FINALLY responded to the Fuel-cut issue by issuing a TSB. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention and thanks to Dave ("The Man") Burnette, Southpoint Nissan, for faxing it to me.

The TSB number, as you correctly indicated, is NTB01-018. It's three pages long and I've scanned it. If someone (Matt?) wants to post it on their web site, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
Old 04-07-2001 | 10:33 AM
Lucius Maximus

Originally posted by y2kse
Nissan has FINALLY responded to the Fuel-cut issue by issuing a TSB. Thanks to you guys for bringing it to my attention and thanks to Dave ("The Man") Burnette, Southpoint Nissan, for faxing it to me.

The TSB number, as you correctly indicated, is NTB01-018. It's three pages long and I've scanned it. If someone (Matt?) wants to post it on their web site, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
I'd be glad to host it! I've been complaining about this problem (to-myself) since I got car. Thought it was just me, and that I needed to get used to the compression. Guess it wasn't me after all.

eMail it over, I'll have it up in no-time..

Thanks
Old 04-07-2001 | 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Lucius Maximus

I'd be glad to host it! I've been complaining about this problem (to-myself) since I got car. Thought it was just me, and that I needed to get used to the compression. Guess it wasn't me after all.

eMail it over, I'll have it up in no-time..

Thanks
Send me your e-mail address, Mighty Caesar. I can't attach files to Maxima.org internal e-mails.
Old 04-07-2001 | 11:04 AM
Lucius Maximus

Send me your e-mail address, Mighty Caesar. I can't attach files to Maxima.org internal e-mails.
It should be sitting in your inbox now
Old 04-07-2001 | 11:09 AM

What are the risks of this repair?
Does it involve any work a dealer's technician is going to struggle with?
I learnt my lesson with the trunk/bumper alignment.
Old 04-07-2001 | 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Lucius Maximus

It should be sitting in your inbox now
Check your e-mail.
Old 04-07-2001 | 11:30 AM

Originally posted by martinf
What are the risks of this repair?
It appears to be a simple ECM reprogramming (ROM flash). Once the procedure is completed, your ECM acquires a new Part Number.

My dealer is going to reprogram my ECM today. I'll pick my car on Monday and let you know what I think.
Old 04-07-2001 | 02:41 PM
Lucius Maximus

here it is....

http://www.lhrc.net/maxima/ntb01-018.html
Old 04-07-2001 | 03:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I think

there are a few people that owe Keven S. (and the others working on this problem) an apology. All that crap about them not knowing how to drive. HA! The irony will be if those people take their cars back for the TSB and the dealer gives them a hard time. (oh, and now there's a TSB, you know they will want theirs fixed too)
Old 04-07-2001 | 05:55 PM

the fuel-cut is...

only for manual tranny's? or is there a tsb for auto's?
Old 04-07-2001 | 06:28 PM

Re: the fuel-cut is...

If u look @ the TSB .. it's for manual transmissions ...

CONGRATS 2 those on the board that worked in pushing Nissan 4 this! Now if only we can convince to do something about the paint chips!!!

Originally posted by slick
only for manual tranny's? or is there a tsb for auto's?
Old 04-07-2001 | 10:27 PM
Adam01GXE

Setting my appointment up on monday...good work guys!
Old 04-08-2001 | 02:05 AM

What happened to urTrunk /bumper job?

Did the nissan techs screw up your car? I was thinking of getting it done. Now I am wondering.

-jes
Old 04-08-2001 | 07:50 AM

How would I know if my car does this????? I'm not quite sure what problem this TSB is for....
Old 04-08-2001 | 08:03 AM

Comments and acknowledgments . . .

Lucius Maximus: Thanks for hosting the TSB. I've copied your info into the "Technical Service Bulletins inside . . ." thread (sticky).

TimW: He who laughs last, laughs best.

bigk200, davedzny, and others who have suffered and labored so long on this issue: My hat's off to you, guys! You're proof that individuals CAN make a difference.

Chris Wardlaw, Editor-in-Chief, Edmunds.com: Thanks for bringing this to the attention of Motor Trends magazine. Even though they couldn't reproduce the problem in a 2K1 AE M/T, the article they published generated enough backlash from their readers to force Nissan-USA to sit up and take notice.

And a very special thanks to Steve Thomas at Nissan-USA who recognized the problem and pushed it through to resolution.

Now let's hope this fix actually works.
Old 04-08-2001 | 08:26 AM

I'm glad to see that Nissan has finally (and hopefully?) come out with a proper fix for the fuel cut issue. I know many people have been struggling and fighting with Nissan over this, and it feels good to finally claim victory for us, the consumer.

Unfortunately, life can be ironic... I don't think I will be able to apply this TSB to my car, since I am still in "dealings" with Nissan via a third party intervention in regards to the fuel cut problem. Therefore, I cannot make any changes to my car, so I will not be able to see if this fix actually works. Maybe someone in the NYC area who has this fix done will let me drive their car to see.

I'm glad so many people fought this to the end, and proved that Nissan was wrong everytime they denied the "fuel cut" from existing. Maybe now the rest of you with other complaints (paint chips, etc.) can do the same in order to come out victorious. Trust me, though.... it was not an easy battle.

Dave Z
Old 04-08-2001 | 08:48 AM

lets not count our eggs...

till they've hatched

But unless I know that the ecu reprogram really fixes it *OR* the dealer can reprogram the ecu back to the original, I'd be kind of cautious.

Not meaning to be a troll... I appreciate the efforts and the flames that those involved had to endure. Thanks guys!

Good luck!
rerunn.
Old 04-08-2001 | 08:53 AM

Originally posted by davedzny
Unfortunately, life can be ironic... I don't think I will be able to apply this TSB to my car, since I am still in "dealings" with Nissan via a third party intervention in regards to the fuel cut problem. Therefore, I cannot make any changes to my car, so I will not be able to see if this fix actually works . . .
Check with your third party, Dave. This is just a guess on my part, but you may be OBLIGATED to try the fix before Nissan offers you another remedy.
Old 04-08-2001 | 09:01 AM

Re: lets not count our eggs...

Originally posted by rerunn
till they've hatched

But unless I know that the ecu reprogram really fixes it *OR* the dealer can reprogram the ecu back to the original, I'd be kind of cautious.

Not meaning to be a troll... I appreciate the efforts and the flames that those involved had to endure. Thanks guys!

Good luck!
rerunn.
There's no turning back now, rerunn. Some of us are WAY too far out on a limb to do anything other than proceed full speed ahead. If it's any comfort to you, the new ECM part numbers generated by the fuel-cut reprogramming are EXACTLY the same part numbers that are generated when the ECM is reprogrammed under an earlier TSB dealing with a rear O2 sensor malfunction. So the fix has been around for at least a little while. (It appears that Nissan was trying to kill more than one bird with this stone.)
Old 04-08-2001 | 09:30 AM

what about us canadians. I hope nissan of canada will be informed about this problem and proceed accordingly. Let me know if anyone up north has contacted their dealer, and what they said or know about this. Thanks. Freeze00
Old 04-08-2001 | 10:49 AM

Re: What happened to urTrunk /bumper job?

Originally posted by Merdan
Did the nissan techs screw up your car? I was thinking of getting it done. Now I am wondering.

-jes
It has not scratched further. They did not touch up the scratches.
I am left with an alignment that is OK, but not perfect. Walking in the dealer's lot examining the rear fender/bumper match up, I noticed many Maximas with an an uneveness, so maybe that is as good as it gets.
Old 04-08-2001 | 02:52 PM

I just got my Max 2 weeks ago (March 26). It was also built in January 2001. I've read about the fuel-cut problem, but don't notice it in my car. I might not notice it since I don't drive through a ton of stop and go traffic to work. Is there a way I can tell if I have the reprogrammed ECU, or do I have to take my car to the dealership? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2001 | 02:57 PM
Adam01GXE

Originally posted by mjb2123
I just got my Max 2 weeks ago (March 26). It was also built in January 2001. I've read about the fuel-cut problem, but don't notice it in my car. I might not notice it since I don't drive through a ton of stop and go traffic to work. Is there a way I can tell if I have the reprogrammed ECU, or do I have to take my car to the dealership? Thanks!
let the car warm up and try to drive a consistent 20mph in 1st or 2nd gear. when you try and feather the gas, the engine is starved of fuel and the car"lurches" forward. if you can't tell by doing this, park the car and put in in nuetral. now try to feather the rpm's from 2800 down to 1200. if you can do it with ease and no problems, your car is fine. my guess is that you can't.
Old 04-08-2001 | 10:17 PM

WOOHOO!!, I can finally drive in traffic and not look like a dumbass that does'nt know how to drive a stick. I'm calling my service advisor tomarrow. Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2001 | 10:28 PM

Ok, perhaps I need to start using the spell check option.
Old 04-09-2001 | 05:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

O.K.

Who has has this work completed on their car. I am sitting back until I hear good reviews about this. I am very anxious to have this done but will rely on the opinions of those who are having it done to decide if its worth it. I really HOPE so.
Old 04-09-2001 | 07:11 AM

Re: O.K.

Originally posted by Colonel
Who has has this work completed on their car. I am sitting back until I hear good reviews about this. I am very anxious to have this done but will rely on the opinions of those who are having it done to decide if its worth it. I really HOPE so.
I doubt it will hurt anything to get the work done, Colonel. The real question is, will it help anything?

The TSB was released on 3/21/01 and its existence just became widely known. I doubt there's been enough time for anyone to have had the work done yet. And while the fuel-cut fix generates the same ECU part number as the earlier rear O2 sensor fix, only those who have had the O2 sensor fix applied and who also happen to own M/T Maximas can answer your question right now.

I'll be picking up my car from the dealership this afternoon. I'll post my impressions later this evening or tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2001 | 07:48 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

what exactly is the

O2 sensor fix ?
Old 04-09-2001 | 09:09 AM

Re: what exactly is the

Originally posted by TimW
O2 sensor fix ?
It covers a procedure that deals with a Service Engine Light that mistakenly points to a normally functioning rear O2 sensor.
Old 04-09-2001 | 12:45 PM

Fuggedaboudit !!!

I just got my car back from the dealership. The ECM upgrade DOES NOT WORK, at least it didn't work on my car. My Maxima still cannot hold a constant speed in 1st gear at 1800 rpm. And on the neutral test, the engine continues to drop immediately to idle at or below 2800 rpm.

My dealer is setting up an appointment for the Zone Rep to come out and drive my car.

Well at least we've made some progress. We've gotten Nissan to officially admit that the problem exists. Too bad Nissan hasn't figured out yet how to fix it.
Old 04-09-2001 | 01:02 PM

Even if I am having this problem, I am going in for the fix. The TSB lists several ECUs specifically ECUs with and without V rated tires (i.e. GXE vs SE).

The lat thing I need if for themo to limit my car to some ridiculously slow speed like 112 MPH!
Old 04-09-2001 | 01:06 PM

Y2kse

Considering you stated that the ECU takes on a new part number and it is the same as the o2 sensor fix, I guess I am not surprised that the outcome was unfavorable. But as you point out at least Nissan admits there is a problem, and will hopefully get it right at some point.
Old 04-09-2001 | 03:23 PM

Re: Fuggedaboudit !!!

I just got my car back from the dealership. The ECM upgrade DOES NOT WORK, at least it didn't work on my car. My Maxima still cannot hold a constant speed in 1st gear at 1800 rpm. And on the neutral test, the engine continues to drop immediately to idle at or below 2800 rpm.

My dealer is setting up an appointment for the Zone Rep to come out and drive my car.

Well at least we've made some progress. We've gotten Nissan to officially admit that the problem exists. Too bad Nissan hasn't figured out yet how to fix it.
I am not surprised. I suspected that their "fix" would be the same "fix" that they tried on my car 15 months ago.

All they have to do is read my analysis of the problem in the Edmund's thread. My post explains what the cause is and what the required fix is.

Its amazing how Nissan just doesn't understand the problem.
Old 04-09-2001 | 04:23 PM

Well, I spoke to my "third party" today and was advised to go to the dealer and have the TSB done. I am not expecting it to work, which fortunately will help greatly with my current "dealings" with Nissan. If all goes well with my "dealings", Nissan might finally be forced to really address this problem correctly. This will probably take many more months, unfortunately, and knowing Nissan I will not be holding my breath.

I hope the TSB works, but I figure at this point Nissan can't really screw up my car any more then they have during the past 4 visits for this problem. I'll post my findings once I have it done, since I am all too familiar (and ****) about the exact details of the effects of the fuel cut.

Dave Z
Old 04-10-2001 | 06:11 PM

Check it out . . .

At least one person said the ECM upgrade worked. Check out the following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=33254

I'm going back to my dealership tomorrow morning. They're going to attempt to reprogram my ECM one more time. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-10-2001 | 08:16 PM

good work

Kudos to getting this done. Can you tell me who were some key individuals at Nissan that were contacted? I'm wanting to get some contacts for the paint issue thread that I started, and since you all have been successful, hopefully can follow your lead. Also, what about other media. I saw that Edmunds was listed, who else would be good resources to elevate the issue to the public?

Thanks.

Scott
Old 04-10-2001 | 08:49 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I too am reluctant till I hear some POSITIVE results.

First, the TSB is not very clear, so if someone could re-scan this I would greatly appreciate it.

Second, the TSB only states the "fix" is for below 1800 rpms. This is noticeable on my Maxima, but NOT nearly as annoying as the on/off surging around 2500 rpms during light throttle changes.

Third, I'm guessing that Nissans' quick fix will be to "soften" the throttle response via software, which will add some delay and may take away some of the power responsiveness I like.

Fourth, this better NOT be a late April fools joke, since the last one with the paint recall got me good.
Old 04-11-2001 | 12:24 AM

Holy Sh*t! Has anyone gotten this yet? I'll be so happy if this improves the low speed drivability. Much thanks to all those who harassed Nissan until they finally decided to fix it.
Old 04-11-2001 | 07:44 AM

Observations from pat_93se_00se on Edmunds forum

Here are some observations from a member on the edmunds forum.

Stock 2000 SE 5-speed with the NTB performed,
observations after an evening of various driving:

--RPM test: Failed.
RPMs drop starting at somewhere around 2000rpm.

--Idle: Pass
Still around 600+ as it always was

--'Short Rolling hills at 25mph test': Pass
I used to feel a pronounced fuel-cut in 2nd/3rd gear, it now feels more like drive lash. This is good.

--Stop & Go traffic test: Better (not 100% though)
Traffic was more stop than go, and this test is better performed when speed averages 10-20mph, when I can get the car to really buck. But in 0-10mph driving, it seemed to be better.
Old 04-11-2001 | 10:46 AM

How long should it take to have the ECM reprogrammed? The dealer first claimed that they never heard of the problem, now they want to keep the car overnight.

Quick Reply: The Fuel-cut TSB is HERE !!!