5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hotshot headers, stupid dealers, 02 sensor hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 AM
mjg

Hotshot headers, stupid dealers, 02 sensor hell

Hey guys.

Ok, after about 4 months of driving around with my hotshots on, i've got to say, i love them. THey were a great mod, performance gains are there, etc etc.

Now the bad part, the most annoying crap to deal with:

I was one of the unfortuante guys to have an issue with my 02 sensors, and SES light going off. I have a cali spec maxima. I had been told by hotshot, as well as most of you relocation of 02's was necessary. So, after i finally got some time i had my bungs put into my cattman bpipe right behind my cat. Only one sensor was moved since i had to then take my car back since the idiots at the muffler shop put in a stripped fitment into one of my bungs.

I took my car to westbury nissan yesterday for something about my transmission, then when they saw my mods, they took it upon themselves to "void the warranties" whatever that meant, regarding my 02 sensors, and suspension (which has nothing to do with the problem at hand, interesting).

So now i got that on my history, and don't know exactly what that means... good thing my father is an attorney, and he'll help me get to the bottom of that.

Now back to the issue. I can't find one of my 02 sensors. I haven't had my car up on a lift, but it seems the blue one (precat 02 sensor) is going into my headers, the red one was rerouted to the back, and now where is the grey/white one? It seems MIA. I can't see where it's going, so i'm not exactly sure.

Can someone please post pics of the exact configration i need, and give me some instructions on how to get this the way it's supposed to be? The service guy also wrote "dangerous condition" and told me my ecu is slowing the timing, since it detects my fuel is too rich (or something not exactly sure) and i'm running in a dangerously lean condition.

This is getting ridiculous, and i'm really not sure what to believe anymore. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

why don't you just find the O2 sensor plug on the front of your engine and follow the wire to find the sensor?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

here ya go..try this..

Trex

Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM

Hate to say it, but you'll have to get under the car to find that missing o2 sensor. Track it back from the harness. The pre-cat sensors (qty = 2) are both blue harnesses. The after-cat sensors are sheathed in red or white (you'll have one sensor using each color). But it sounds like you already know this.

The white one should be after the main cat. If only one of the after-cat sensors was installed after the cat, then of course you'll throw a code. All four sensors must be installed for the system to work properly. (The front sensors take a reading and the rear ones must detect a change signifying the cat is working.)

And stay with me on this one. Everyone feel free to correct me if I go stray:
If you're running lean your engine will retard the ignition timing to keep you from detonating. What this can do is actually cause you to run rich because your spark is so late (due to timing retard, slowing, pulled) that all your fuel is not ignited before it is evacuated out of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke.

Now this one I'm definitely not sure of, but maybe the ecu thinks your engine is lean because of your o2 sensor problem. The ECU will run you rich if you have an o2 sensor failure. Don't quote me on it though. I might have just talked myself into a circle.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Get an O2 simulator...that should fix it.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:28 AM

make sure you buy the double

http://www.o2simulator.com/24803.html