5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I get Hi-Flow Cat Conv.???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 AM

Should I get Hi-Flow Cat Conv.???

I haven't done any mods in a while (considering b pipe or high flow cat) and after talking to different people and shops (however not on org yet bc i've been away for a while) it seems as if the cat converter will offer better gains bc of the great restriction of the stock converter...i would purchase the hi flow cat from custommaxima for $150 ...i'd expect anywhere from 3-8 hp from this mod as opposed to 2-5hp from the b pipe (which also costs more)...please tell me what you have heard or from experience...thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM

Don't look at the individual gains from the cat and b, look at it altogether as a system. If your y is restricted, then you're obviously not going to have the same gains as someone else who's done it all. Considering you're still using your stock muffler, how much louder is it with the y pipe only (not taking the CAI into account)?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:40 AM

It's not that much of a difference most of the time...low growl at low rpm's, but under WOT the noise difference is very noticeable...lot deeper.

Yah i'm not replacing the muffler, but i do have the CAI and Y pipe so i'd expect to still gain some power from the high flow cat
Old 09-07-2004, 09:45 AM

I have a high flow cat, the one from custommaxima. After I had purchased it though, I found out that it was pretty much a waste of money. The main cat on our maxima is pretty much high flow already. In fact, when I looked inside and compaired them both, there wasn't that much difference. In my opinion, I would spend my money on something else. just my $.02
Old 09-07-2004, 09:55 AM

how about the whole setup from cattman? from y-pipe ,cat, b-pipe to muffler?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
how about the whole setup from cattman? from y-pipe ,cat, b-pipe to muffler?
The whole system together is phenominal. If I were to do it again I would go with the cattman headers though. I put everything on at once, the y-pipe, high flow cat and the cattback. made a huge difference, mainly in drivability. It really let the engine breath and it drives much smoother. realistically i would say that the setup added 10-13 hp. But it's throughout the entire rev range. The sound is great too, sounds mean. Switch the y-pipe with the headers and i suspect it would make a good amount of difference. I would do it myself, but I'm back in school and now a poor college kid.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:33 PM

If you buy a new Cat for a Newer car you are being taken advantage of. you WILL NOT gain a single hp from a high flow cat because MOST newer cars come with high flow cats already. Any aftermarket cat will not net you HP unless your factory cat is clogged or just plain destroyed.

DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET CATS TO GAIN HP PEOPLE. This is one of the biggest myths about most newer cars...

If you don't believe my go dyno test a new cat compared with a couple year old one in working condition. Better yet call Warpspeed or most other performance exhaust shops...

Hope this helps,

Mark
Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 PM

I just got an e-mail response from Brian at Cattman about exhaust & cat here is the response. You also asked about a high flow cat. We just built and tested a prototype of a new all-metal cat that we've adapted to the Maxima. The results were incredible on a VQ35DE, and I have no doubt that it will perform well on the VQ30DE. We're probably about two months away from having this ready for sale, but its so easy to install, you can add it in later.

I ordered the mid-pipe section and I will order the headers with the cats when available.

Cheers

AA
Old 09-08-2004, 10:27 PM

A retailer will tell you ANYTHING in order to sell you a product. Why would he tell you the Maxima already has a high flow Cat? Your choice.

Everybody must find out on their own

Mark
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 PM

Just get a straight pipe.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by mdloops
A retailer will tell you ANYTHING in order to sell you a product. Why would he tell you the Maxima already has a high flow Cat? Your choice.

Mark
This isn't true of Brian (Catts)! I purchased a Random Tech high flow cat from him about 1 1/2 years ago. In talking with him about a week ago about his new metal cat, I mentioned that I had purchased the RT cat from him.

He proceeded to appologize and tell me that he stopped selling the RT cats because when he dynoed them, he found that they actually lost hp over the stock cat.

Not many retailers that I know of would stop selling a much hyped product, like the RT cat, because it didn't live up to the performance promised...

In debating whether or not to purchase his headers or his Y-pipe, he proceeded to tell me the pros & cons of running each one with my setup.

I eventually ended up getting the full system - Headers and catback exhaust - which I wouldn't trade for any other system!

The point here though, is that he didn't push his headers as being the best choice for my setup even though he could have made twice as much money on me if I got the headers (which I chose to do anyways).

He has got to be one of the most stand up guys to deal with and I recommend him to anyone who asks - even though I don't get paid to...
Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i found this b-pipe made by a company called bullet for 75 bux. any good?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 AM

Mark
Because Cattman has been supporting the maxima for a while and he has a solid reputation also because Brian is an intelligent person and he know that if he lie to us he's going to loose business, I trust him because I have many of his products on my car and they just work the way there suppose too, as for his new cat let's wait and see and then will be able to make a judgement.

Cheers

AA
Old 09-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love my Cattman exhaust. The added performance is amazing and the sound is incredible. Pics on cardomain.

Trex
Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM

If you buy a new Cat for a Newer car you are being taken advantage of. you WILL NOT gain a single hp from a high flow cat because MOST newer cars come with high flow cats already. Any aftermarket cat will not net you HP unless your factory cat is clogged or just plain destroyed.

DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET CATS TO GAIN HP PEOPLE. This is one of the biggest myths about most newer cars...

If you don't believe my go dyno test a new cat compared with a couple year old one in working condition. Better yet call Warpspeed or most other performance exhaust shops...

Hope this helps,

Mark

It does help when boosted. But i agree with you when saying it doesn't help on NA cars
Old 09-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Dont get a high flow cat...save your money. If you are going to get anything get a straight pipe and even then dont expect more than 2-3HP and it will be louder.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got this from Brian by e-mail quoted;

Well, I was planning on having the new website up this week, but my developer hasn't met the deadline and is now travelling for a few days, which is rather frustrating.

We've developed our new cat prototype and have done dyno tests. We tested it on an 02 Maxima 6-speed with Cattman cattback exhaust and y-pipe. Results are pretty incredible. We hope to have a production version in 4-6 weeks.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance