5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Took the max to the track with zex .....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well I had a best time of 15.7 before today, and well after changing the plugs to colder plugs for the nitrous, my car ran a 16.3 on just motor. This didn't make me happy, but then the laughing gas came into effect. With the gas on the max ran a 15.1 @ 91mph. This was with a full tank of gas and my fat #$% driving. After some tweaking and tuning I think that I will be able to get into the 14's. Also this was just with the 55 shot in, I am also in the process of getting a larger fuel pump and tranny work, then I will go up to the 65 or 75 shot and be in the mid to low 14.

Also today at the track I had a few kills:

95 camaro with mods and 75 shot of nitrous
96 thunderbird with mods and 100 shot of nitrous
97 honda crx with mods
and a 94 corvette that I believe was stock, this one shocked me the most.
Old 04-08-2001, 11:41 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

16.3 is kinda on the high side.....good thing your sprayin
Old 04-09-2001, 12:07 AM

track conditions must have been horrible to run that...i bet once it cools down or when track conditions get better, you will easily be in 14s...judging by your first time of 16.3 w/o the nitrous, i'm betting that 5spds could only run about a 15.5 or so in those conditions...i ran a 15.6 stock in decent conditions (auto) so .7 secs more w/ mods must mean the track sucked (or you got a horrible launch etc.)...are you manual shifting? i found that shaved about .4 secs off of my time...first time i raced the max, i ran a 16.0 then i raced again w/ manual shifting and ran a 15.6...i'm sure the full tank of gas didn't help you much...just empty that out and you will break 14s easy...now you need to go for 13 sec territory
Old 04-09-2001, 04:08 AM

Im guessing that your car is automatic.If not you must have traction problems or your not getting off the line good enough(no ment mean). I had a stock maxima 5-speed last year and I ran a 14.6@91.3mph my r/t was like a 5.954 these cars are fast if you get them just right off the line. I haven't gone to the track this year but plan to soon. Good Luck Racing
Old 04-09-2001, 09:05 AM

Wow... 5.954. That's nearly 6 seconds. Were you on the phone or something? My best R/T is .503.

Originally posted by Justin Tulli
my r/t was like a 5.954 these cars are fast if you get them just right off the line. I haven't gone to the track this year but plan to soon. Good Luck Racing
Old 04-09-2001, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im guessing that your car is automatic.If not you must have traction problems or your not getting off the line good enough(no ment mean). I had a stock maxima 5-speed last year and I ran a 14.6@91.3mph my r/t was like a 5.954 these cars are fast if you get them just right off the line. I haven't gone to the track this year but plan to soon. Good Luck Racing

If you ran a 14.6 (and several on this board have), I'm not sure how you could have a mph that low. You ought to be 95-96. What was your 60' time?
Old 04-09-2001, 10:45 AM

If you ran a 14.6 (and several on this board have), I'm not sure how you could have a mph that low. You ought to be 95-96. What was your 60' time?
Old 04-09-2001, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Paul2kGXE
Wow... 5.954. That's nearly 6 seconds. Were you on the phone or something? My best R/T is .503.

dude, be nice, I have never did a good r/t. My friend does 5's all day long and im always doing like 7's 6's...once i did a 9 i just cant do it I dont know what my beef is.
MAXGATOR-im not sure im tri=ying to find my slips so i can post/scan them
Old 04-09-2001, 11:32 AM

Justin... I'm having fun with you. You made a typo. Check out what you wrote.

New content:
Actually... Maybe you really did have a 6 second reaction time. Did you mean 6 seconds or .59? .59 would be awesome, but 6 seconds...

dude, be nice, I have never did a good r/t. My friend does 5's all day long and im always doing like 7's 6's...once i did a 9 i just cant do it I dont know what my beef is.
MAXGATOR-im not sure im tri=ying to find my slips so i can post/scan them
Old 04-09-2001, 11:36 AM

I don't think I've seen any STOCK Maxima pull 14.6s yet!
Old 04-09-2001, 02:07 PM

This is what I am thinking....

well first off I had a full tank of gas, seconf I live in south Mississippi and it is already like 90 degrees with 80% humidity. Cars just don't run here like they do other places. I am waiting for the weather to dump a cold spree on us here and then I will go again. Hopefully then I will have the larger pump and be able to shoot the 75 and maybe be in the mid to low 14's.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:08 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmm...a 14.6@91mph bonestock? Sorry I don't believe it unless you were running full blown slicks and nailed a 1.9 60 foot. A 14.6 (stock) would mean you've got the quickest 4th gen ever made.

nvmymax2-
I don't understand why your Max is performing so badly. There are a couple 4th gen autos hitting 14.0s with 40-50 shots, y-pipe, intake, and street tires. One of them races in Florida which is very hot and humid. I'd think with your setup, you should be running atleast mid 14s.

What were your 60 foots?

Dave
Old 04-10-2001, 09:14 PM

Im not sure...

I am not sure why my car is running the way it is. My 60' times are averaging 2.3X. I think it could have something to do with the tranny. My tranny is very funny acting. I have had all of the TCM updates, I even installed a hayden tranny cooler. My car seems to be very sluggish until around 4000 rpms in 2nd gear. That is when I really actually pick up time. I have tried to stall it at around 2000 rpms but it just boggs down. If you have any idea what I should do to fix it let me know !
Old 04-10-2001, 10:40 PM

well my first night at the track i ran a 2.3x 60' time (bone stock) and i ended up running a 15.6...2nd time i went to the track w/ mods and new grippy tires (track conditions sucked) i ran a 2.5x 60' and a 15.8 1/4...if i can nail my 60' sometime when its colder out i should be able to run a low 15 w/ my mods
Old 04-11-2001, 01:16 PM
gambietti

Stage deep!

You guys...your reaction time can be easily improved. Last time I was at the track, I staged deep and left at the last yellow light. You are out of the box as soon as it turns green. I posted a 4.36 R/T and ran a 14.5 @ 91.5mph(in my Integra GS-R) which I sold for my 2k Max. I have actually done better when I had my Mustang GT. And with an Auto. it is only easier! After your first run, throw a bag of ice ontop of the upper intake and it will save .1 to .2 10ths in the 1/4 and 1 mph. It works well because the engine is in perfect operating tempt while breathing cold air! Good luck!

Old 04-11-2001, 01:26 PM

4, 5, 7, 9 Second reaction time WHAT!

You guys must be making mad time up with an after burner or its just a mistake with the decimal. No way in hell you have a 5 sec R/T and clock a 14sec time. That acutally means you ran a 9sec 1/4.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:26 PM
gambietti

Re: Stage deep!

Originally posted by gambietti
You guys...your reaction time can be easily improved. Last time I was at the track, I staged deep and left at the last yellow light. You are out of the box as soon as it turns green. I posted a 4.36 R/T and ran a 14.5 @ 91.5mph(in my Integra GS-R) which I sold for my 2k Max. I have actually done better when I had my Mustang GT. And with an Auto. it is only easier! After your first run, throw a bag of ice ontop of the upper intake and it will save .1 to .2 10ths in the 1/4 and 1 mph. It works well because the engine is in perfect operating tempt while breathing cold air! Good luck!

OOPS! My mistake.... it was a .436 R/T Thanks for the correction.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:38 PM

Re: 4, 5, 7, 9 Second reaction time WHAT!

Originally posted by CIRCO
You guys must be making mad time up with an after burner or its just a mistake with the decimal. No way in hell you have a 5 sec R/T and clock a 14sec time. That acutally means you ran a 9sec 1/4.
Wrong. Reaction time has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time. You will run a 14.5 whether your r/t is 5 seconds or .5 seconds.

R/T is measured from the time the last yellow light comes on until your car passes the starting beam. Once you pass the starting beam, your elapsed time begins. The winner at the track is the first across the finish line. That means the one with the lowest combo of elapsed time and reaction time.
Old 04-11-2001, 02:45 PM
gambietti

Re: Re: 4, 5, 7, 9 Second reaction time WHAT!

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Wrong. Reaction time has nothing to do with your 1/4 mile time. You will run a 14.5 whether your r/t is 5 seconds or .5 seconds.

R/T is measured from the time the last yellow light comes on until your car passes the starting beam. Once you pass the starting beam, your elapsed time begins. The winner at the track is the first across the finish line. That means the one with the lowest combo of elapsed time and reaction time.
Thank you-I thought that was true but wasn't sure so I didn't post that. But he was right that I made a decimal point mistake!

Old 04-11-2001, 02:45 PM

Re: Stage deep!

Originally posted by gambietti
Unfortunately, a .436 is "red-lighting" and automatically disqualifies you in a real drag race. .500 is considered perfect and is equal to the time between the last yellow light and the green light.
Old 04-11-2001, 03:21 PM

i have noticed the same thing with the full cat back to to y-pipe and high flow cat........ my car is slugish as hell until 3-4 grand but after that it screams.... its because you have a wide open cat back system with little back pressure to give you low end torque you cant really do anything but its either low end or high end your choice!!!! i think it evens its self out either way..... if u like racing from 0-60 keep the back pressure with means stock set up with those nice restrictive pipes nissan gave us......but if u like higher speeds go with the way you have it........ wish i could have both...... i will find a way and when i do ill let you know!!
Old 04-11-2001, 06:16 PM

When I go to the track:

-I unload everything out of the car I can: jack, spare, subwoofer, CDs, etc. I have no more than 1/4 tank of gas in the tank.

-If I'm running on Empty, I'll put in a couple gallons of 105 octane gasoline at the track.

-I inflate my rear tires to maximum pressure. On my tires, that's 44psi.

-I take a small bucket, in which I keep 3 or 4 ziplock bags full of ice. (These will go on top of my intake manifold between runs at the track.) I keep the bucket on the floor, right behind the driver seat.

-I let the engine cool when I get to the track. Lift your hood and let the heat out. If you had a battery-operated fan, it would cool things off that much more between runs...

-I deflate my drag radials to 20-24psi. I don't have much tread on them anymore...

-I don't drive through the water at the pre-starting area. I drive around it, line up square, and do a very BRIEF spin to knock debris off my tires. A long, smokey burnout does *not* help.

-I stage deep: I pull into the starting area *just* far enough to light both staging lights. If I don't stop soon enough, I quickly restage to get it right. I try to line up my tires right on top of the "tracks" left by the car in front of me.

-Get ready to go! The starter will trip the lights as soon as both cars are staged. Be mentally prepared to go the instant you are staged!

-You have 3 yellow lights that flash a 1/2 second apart before the green light flashes, 1/2 second after the last yellow light. Get the rythmn going in your head before the lights begin to flash.

-I imagine that each of the lights is "talking" to me as it flashes: "Day, Day, to-Day, Bye." I leave the starting line exactly on the "t" of to-day, just before the 3rd yellow light flashes. When I'm doing it right, my reaction times are in the .500 to .600 range. My best r/t was .501!

-The starting procedure with your pedals varies with track conditions. A warm track is more sticky than a cold track. With my drag radials, my best 60' times are around 2.1-2.2.

-Once I'm off, I drive the car like I hate it. So far -knock on wood- I have not missed a shift. My fastest speed through the traps so far is about 94mph.

-I don't let up until I am *well past* the finish line.

-While my car is cooling off before my next run, I study my time slip, think about the last run, critique my technique, and plan improvements/adjustments I have to make before my next run. Then I make it a point to introduce myself to other drivers, and ask them about their cars. They might even ask me about my car... I learn more from listening to others than by talking about my own car.

-Life is short. Be safe, and have fun.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:55 PM

Re: Re: 4, 5, 7, 9 Second reaction time WHAT!

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Opps my bad! I was just putting a major emphasis on the seconds reaction time. Thanks for pointing that out Max_Gator.