5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why don't car makers use brighter reverse lights or have a rear windshield wiper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 08:13 PM

I don't know about you all, but I really feel that reverse lights suck. I do not feel that they are bright enough to actually help you see at night. My dad(who is 52) says he can barely see cars behind him.

And why don't see why car makers don't put windshield wipers on the back window. Yeah it's another part to replace, but i would be willing to shell out the $$ to replace it and the $$ to have it. If it save me from 1 accident, that would be worth anycost.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by Mugen13
I don't know about you all, but I really feel that reverse lights suck. I do not feel that they are bright enough to actually help you see at night. My dad(who is 52) says he can barely see cars behind him.

And why don't see why car makers don't put windshield wipers on the back window. Yeah it's another part to replace, but i would be willing to shell out the $$ to replace it and the $$ to have it. If it save me from 1 accident, that would be worth anycost.
I've never really noticed the reverse lights to be honest.

But, I was thinking the other day while I was driving home from work (in the rain) how it's nice not to have to worry about the rear window visibility (my other vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee and I usually leave the wiper on back there so I can see what's going on). Maybe traveling at high speed in the rain has something to do with it. Rain doesn't stand a chance in that slipstream .

If it's that much of a problem for you, apply RainX to both your front AND rear windshields. Problem solved. That stuff is magic.
Old 04-08-2001, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where's the love for the rear wiper....

Originally posted by Mugen13

In a previous life, I had a 1989 Acura Intergra. The BEST, and I mean, feature of that vehicle was the rear windshield wiper. I think that people fail to realize the beauty of the rear wiper these days. The only vehicles that get them are the SUVs that have no need for them since their rear windows get almost zero exposure to rain as they are so vertical.
Old 04-08-2001, 09:19 PM

Re: Where's the love for the rear wiper....

Originally posted by Michael98033

The only vehicles that get them are the SUVs that have no need for them since their rear windows get almost zero exposure to rain as they are so vertical.
Quite the contrary. Not to suddenly change this into an SUV forum but, as I said, I do own a Jeep Cherokee and even though you might believe no moisture would collect because the rear window is vertical, the spray from the road does accumulate to a point where visibility is zero. The fact of the matter is that as the air moves around the vehicle, there is a dead spot back there that keeps the wind from moving the rain/moisture off leaving it to just sit there.

Now, if you wanted to leave the hatch in the open position, well that would be a different story !
Old 04-08-2001, 11:20 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Re: Where's the love for the rear wiper....

In a previous life, I had a 1989 Acura Intergra. The BEST, and I mean, feature of that vehicle was the rear windshield wiper. I think that people fail to realize the beauty of the rear wiper these days. The only vehicles that get them are the SUVs that have no need for them since their rear windows get almost zero exposure to rain as they are so vertical.
Defonatly going to have to disagree, SUV's rear window gets it the worst out of anything,drive an SUV in the rain and you will see, all the dirt and mist kicked up by the tires ,that wiper on the back is a necessity
Old 04-09-2001, 02:31 AM

I think Maxima's should have rear wipers like the skyline, not big, functional, and hard to see. I dont know if you guys notice but if i leave my car outside and it rains or is dewwy out, everthing (like water) will blow off the back window except that of the center section of my back window. This part has no air contact what-so-ever and it kind of annoys me for some reason. Does this happen to anyone elses car? Thats why we need a rear wiper...
Old 04-09-2001, 02:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Justin Tulli
I think Maxima's should have rear wipers like the skyline, not big, functional, and hard to see. I dont know if you guys notice but if i leave my car outside and it rains or is dewwy out, everthing (like water) will blow off the back window except that of the center section of my back window. This part has no air contact what-so-ever and it kind of annoys me for some reason. Does this happen to anyone elses car? Thats why we need a rear wiper...
a rear windshield wiper on maximas? urgh! sorry...i'll pass that option...
Old 04-09-2001, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

a rear windshield wiper on maximas? urgh! sorry...i'll pass that option...
you know what on second thought i would have to pass up my idea! scratch that
Old 04-09-2001, 06:47 AM

This can go both ways... There is that spot where the water does not run/blow off and a rear wiper would be nice. However, I'm willing to live with it because I think that a rear wiper just wouldn't look right on the Max...
Old 04-09-2001, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I apologize...

For my completely untested theory about the rear windows of SUVs.

Either way...rear wipers are nice...even thought ugly.
Old 04-09-2001, 07:12 AM

Re: I apologize...

For my completely untested theory about the rear windows of SUVs.

Either way...rear wipers are nice...even thought ugly.
NP dude. That's what this forum is all about... untested theories. You throw them out there and we chew them up and spit 'em out. From there, we see what sticks and what doesn't.

Thanks for bringing it up, though. For a minute I was actually able to write something I know a little bit about .

L8R.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

rear wiper

i was looking around on the nissan japan website and apparently the japanese version of the i30/maxima, the cefiro, has a rear wiper.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/CEFIRO/A33/0.../sa_index.html
Old 04-09-2001, 11:35 AM

Re: rear wiper

Originally posted by maxsee
i was looking around on the nissan japan website and apparently the japanese version of the i30/maxima, the cefiro, has a rear wiper.

http://www.nissan.co.jp/CEFIRO/A33/0.../sa_index.html
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!!! How 'bout that. Ok, here's a theory... since the trafic is so bad in Japan, it would be logical that you probably aren't moving that fast, thereby not benefiting from the wind blowing the rain off the back window. Hmm? Nah, I don't buy it either.

Oh well, just glad they're not on our cars. They just don't seem... natural. In fact, YUK!