5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Advice ASAP on HORRIBLE WARPSPEED FITMENT

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:03 AM

PICS POSTED!! Need Advice ASAP on HORRIBLE WARPSPEED FITMENT

I have a 2002 6spd

About 6 months ago I purchased a warpspeed catback and y-pipe from Dallas. HE told the the over the axel pipe may require a little trimming in order to fit properly, no big deal. I attempted to install the kit myself but the hanger positions and fitment definately needed an exhaust shop. The rear section was bottoming out on the support near the rear axel. The flex section of the y-pipe was also under tremendous stess. I took it to a muffler shop and had them weld in some custom brackets so it would stop banging around. After a few months I started getting exhaust leaks and the underside of the car got noticably louder from exhaust tone. I was upset because I put all the new gaskets in myself and there is no way there should be exhause leaks. Now a couple weeks ago the rubbing noises have returned and the exhaust piping is not only banging around when I accelerate but also rubbing up near the y-pipe and also near the rear section. It seems like this kit was made without even being fitted on a Maxima even though Dallas claims he fitted it. I paid hundreds of dollars for these pipes and now I think I need to buy a whole new catback because some of the pipes are crushed from intense banging. What do I tell him ? I have installed many catback systems and by far this is the most poorly fitted one I have come across yet. Also the exhaust shop that "fixed" it the first time did everything they could to stop the banging but the kit just sucks. Anybody else had fitment issues with Warpspeed products on a 2002 ?

Can somebody please give me advice on what to tell him ASAP (My exhaust is becoming more destroyed by the day)? Should I tell him I want my money back or a new catback? I will try to get some pics up soon.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dunno, but I took that lesson ahead of time and took my B-pipe/new OEM muffler to an exhaust shop in the first place. I hate exhaust work, although I'm going to attempt the Y-pipe in the next couple weeks.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
scopium

warpspeed no good for 2k2-2k3.. i thought you knew.. they even post it that on their website a few months back

Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 AM

I had a fitment issues with my 2000 y-pipe (Cali-spec, had to send it back and get a new one from Dallas. Never again I will buy anything from them.
He will not give you your money back but you can try to get a new product or some other junk.

Good luck!
I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by scopium
warpspeed no good for 2k2-2k3.. i thought you knew.. they even post it that on their website a few months back
Really? I didn't know that... all this time I've been looking for a WS y-pipe.... I guess the logical choice would be Cattman....
Old 09-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OH man..... you should use the search option before buying parts. The y-pipe from budget and WS give us 5.5th gen zero power. I think someone out there lost a hp after installed the WS y. Cattman is the only way to go for these. By the time you pay an exhaust shop to refit and fab all their parts... .you might as well just spend that money towards a better part that you could install in the drive way.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 PM

Where on their website? IF this is true I should be entitled to a complete refund!! He told me it was fitted for the maxima and all this other ****. I hope maxima.org will back me up in going after him for a full refund. He was selling the entire kit on his website when I bought it.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:40 AM
I miss the .org!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Warpspeed. When you try contacting him with your issues...you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 AM

well, i rarely perform work on my car because i hate problems. So i immediately brought my ws y pipe to meineke. For $75 my mechanic was very ****ed but being a professional made all necessary adjustments. Ive had it for a week and seemingly no problems. It is a very tough fit from his expressions but got it done. No gains?, I actually notice a very big difference and a great "whooooosh" sound at high rpm's. Biggest tip, dont do this yourself, a mechanic should stand by his work.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:05 AM

just take it off and buy the cattman y pipe...take it from me thats what i did..yup i had to spend more money but hell it was well worth it and the cattman pipe is so much better with fitment and quality..hell the warpspeed y-pipe is garbage.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM

Mark, tell Dallas that if he doesn't refund the money, maxima.org will boycott his goods. That will get his attention. If he does nothing, start a thread in general forum (something like "org is against warpspeed") and one of the mods will make it as sticky. His business will go down guaranteed.
I got your back 100% on this.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:03 PM

Thanks for having my back 2KSC. Seems like I am not the only one Dallas has taken advantage of...

Talked to Dallas today. To sum it up:

"Warpspeed never made an over the axel pipe. The one I sold you was generic and had to be modified to fit"

--So why would he sell it to me?

"Warpspeed had never sold a Catback exhaust for the 2000-2003 Maximas"

--Can somebody back me up on the fact that a catback exhaust (for 2002) was advertised for sale a few months ago on his site?

--I will send him the pics and he said he will look at them.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:14 PM
imported_JIC_A33

you get what you pay for, and thats why warpspeed and budget suck. As high as cattmans prices are, i have ZERO worries about fitament or anything else. good luck

Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 PM

yeah but you don't pay money to be deceived. We cannot let other people make the mistake of buying from this guy like I did. He was advertising a catback exhaust and that is why I bought it from him. Now he says he never advertised a cattback exhaust.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by mdloops
yeah but you don't pay money to be deceived. We cannot let other people make the mistake of buying from this guy like I did. He was advertising a catback exhaust and that is why I bought it from him. Now he says he never advertised a cattback exhaust.
sorry to hear and i agree with you. i have seen enough people have probs with both warpspeed and budget to keep me away. i hope it all works out for you

Old 09-22-2004, 04:00 PM

thanks sr20. I just don't understand how anybody can justify selling exhaust parts for a car they have not been fitted on. Too bad poor business practices aren't illegal
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by mdloops

Wait...so he told you one thing and now he's denying that he ever said it? Hmmm....sounds so familiar. I'm already personally boycotting that p.o.s. company and it's p.o.s. products...
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM

i havent had a single problem with the ws y pipe that i bought and installed myself, most people have failed to read all the directions that are posted on the website and that is where they get all their problems. and as for losing power, i havent dynoed but i do know that i ran a whole lot faster at the track.......so im pretty sure that there was an increase in horsepower. sorry to hear that you are having problems with it though, its a shame that you cant get it to work right because i thoroughly enjoyed saving all the money and getting the same thing.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by midnightmax01
i havent had a single problem with the ws y pipe that i bought and installed myself, most people have failed to read all the directions that are posted on the website and that is where they get all their problems.
I think when a bolt-on doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, even if ya do it according to the directions... its more a result of poor quality on the manufacturer's part... I could be wrong... but in general I think that holds true...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:47 AM

Boycott....Boycott....Boycott
This is what Dallas needs
Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 AM

so can somebody confirm warpspeed did advertise a exhaust for 5.5th gen maximas?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 AM

I am happy I have not purchased the ws y-pipe i was looking into before reading this thread. My luck is that I would have major fitment issues and the whole thing would just suck. I am thinking the Cattman is the way to go now.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 AM

I took a bunch of pictures today to show the damage from the fitment. The ?Crossbar? has caved in the center pipe, the pressure from the y-pipe has loosened up the bolts on the main cat, you guys will see. Pray they come out alright (cheap camera)

The pics will be up shortly, stay tuned

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 01:09 PM

http://www.geocities.com/mdloops/1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mdloops/2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mdloops/3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mdloops/4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mdloops/5.jpg

Here are the Pics guys. They did not come out great but you can see the damage. To answer any questions the exhaust was actually put on by an exhaust shop. Initially I installed the y-pipe, saw the exhaust needed modification, so I took it in. They even welded in hangers to provide extra support because it was moving around too much. I looked at the pipes after they were done and they did all they could do. I thought I took a pic of the y-pipe but I guess it didn't come out. There is about a 5-6 inch gap between the end of the y-pipe (By the centerpipe) and the undercarriage. I believe this is putting pressure on the centerpipe and causing it to slam down. Believe me, I checked it all today and there is nothing that can be done to stop it from banging short of welding in even more hangers. I have already spent over $100 dollars getting this thing to try to fit, 2 xhaust shops have failed to do so. All of the stock hangers are used and more added in.

Tell me what you think

Mark
Old 09-23-2004, 05:41 PM

no comments?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I think when a bolt-on doesn't fit, it doesn't fit, even if ya do it according to the directions... its more a result of poor quality on the manufacturer's part... I could be wrong... but in general I think that holds true...
well i guess i was the only one that got a good one then? i havent had a single problem out of mine
Old 09-23-2004, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by midnightmax01
well i guess i was the only one that got a good one then? i havent had a single problem out of mine
Seems like you're one of the few.... I'm not taking the risk and will avoid WS Y-pipes....
Old 09-24-2004, 06:03 AM

I cannot see it being the centerpipe. I think the problem is the y-pipe has too much downforce on it causing the centerpipe to move up and down