5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

something I noticed about the D2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 06:24 PM

My D2 are still in the box, when I first took a closer look at one of the coilover it was rather obvious that the flimsy rubber would not last very long and bling bling would soon appears, so I'm all interested in a durable solution, anyway I wont install the D2 before end of march.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

MP3 file of knocking sound

Does it sound like I have the same problem as you had ??
EXACTLY THE SOUND FROM MY 97 I30 PASSENGER REAR

OMG,,i hope this gets solved soon,, driving me effin crazy,,, squeling in passengers front (maybe the tight nut prob),,,and rattling clunky sound from the passengers rear..(prob defective)...my question is,,,i allready paid the guy who installed it a lot of money....do i have to use any spring compressor or anything to remove it now..(the rear one)..or can i just jack it up and un bolt it?...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by raybone97-I30t
EXACTLY THE SOUND FROM MY 97 I30 PASSENGER REAR

OMG,,i hope this gets solved soon,, driving me effin crazy,,, squeling in passengers front (maybe the tight nut prob),,,and rattling clunky sound from the passengers rear..(prob defective)...my question is,,,i allready paid the guy who installed it a lot of money....do i have to use any spring compressor or anything to remove it now..(the rear one)..or can i just jack it up and un bolt it?...
This seems to be the oil problem as posted by UrbanImport. You'll probably have a quicker response as you're in the US. I'm having to wait as I'm in the UK...

The struts come out as a unit, top nuts and lower fixings, sway bar fixing, pipes and wires. You won't need compressors to dismantle them either as you can just loosen the lower perch to remove any spring tension. I assume your mechanic left your original struts complete so they can be swapped back in while you wait for replacements too....

I'm assuming your D2s have their own top mounts and don't use the stock mounts off your old struts. If they do use the stock top mounts then you'll need compressors to refit them to your stock struts.... so you can run stock while you wait for replacements...
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM

I have yet to locate this other thread detailing the Energy Suspension spring seats some of you have been using. I have found this link

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sboots.html

and and wondering which ones some of you may have ordered?

I just found this entire thread - been searching through the 4th gen forums and not found anything - mine are currently off the car due to the noises. I will do the strut test and see if mine may be from the bad batch. I have noises in the rear like someone is pounding on the bottom of my trunk with a hammer, so I assume on one or both sides I have at least one from the bad batch. I will report back with my findings.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:23 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I would be willing to spend some $$$ for any gasket that would resolve noise issue. I haven't installed mine yet and I wouldn't want to take it appart due to unusual noise.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by CUIT-Man
I have yet to locate this other thread detailing the Energy Suspension spring seats some of you have been using. I have found this link

I just found this entire thread - been searching through the 4th gen forums and not found anything - mine are currently off the car due to the noises. I will do the strut test and see if mine may be from the bad batch. I have noises in the rear like someone is pounding on the bottom of my trunk with a hammer, so I assume on one or both sides I have at least one from the bad batch. I will report back with my findings.
From the measurements I have taken so far the best set to use would be Style Set A, Set # 9.6103. It would fit tight on the top and bottom spring mount, but should be thin enough to fit between the mount and the spring. I'll have to take a measurement of the spring ID just to be sure.

I'm going to check into this, looks like it might be a good solution. Thanks for the link!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I ordered the coil spring insulators from Summit Racing. The part # is ENS-9.6103 (Black). They come in a kit of 2 at a price of $7.69 per kit. Either contact them at www.summitracing.com or (800) 230-3030.

I am not sure if they will be an exact fit, but from my measurements they should be close. They are a special order item so it will take a little longer to receive them. Once I receive them and install I will post feedback on fitment and any issues that I may see.

These don’t look like they will last forever, but they should last a considerable amount of time. Definitely longer than the ones that come with the D2’s.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 PM

Wow - thanks for testing these out! I really appreciate it.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I ordered the coil spring insulators from Summit Racing. The part # is ENS-9.6103 (Black). They come in a kit of 2 at a price of $7.69 per kit. Either contact them at www.summitracing.com or (800) 230-3030.

I am not sure if they will be an exact fit, but from my measurements they should be close. They are a special order item so it will take a little longer to receive them. Once I receive them and install I will post feedback on fitment and any issues that I may see.

These don’t look like they will last forever, but they should last a considerable amount of time. Definitely longer than the ones that come with the D2’s.
Are you going to try out the spring seats from energysuspension?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Ammi
Are you going to try out the spring seats from energysuspension?
Yup that's what I bought. Technically they are called coil spring inserts, but basically they are spring seats. There may be a slight fitment issue with trying to get it between the hat and the spring, but I'll find out for sure when I get them. I am tired of the noise...I want it to go away.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 PM

I just went out and manually compressed all my D2 shock pistons and found (not suprisingly) that one of the rears does not go smoothly. All the rest have smooth resistance along the full travel of the shock. One of my rears though does not for the last inch(?) is its extended travel (all the way back out). It has little to no resistance in that last inch or so and gurgles through that last bit of travel. I would assume this is my problem and will be contacting Mike at Urban Imports about it soon.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Bump...

No more sticky huh?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM

did you ever get the spring seats foodmanry?
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by steaLthyMax
did you ever get the spring seats foodmanry?
No. They are a special order part through summitracing so it might be a week, but I really have no idea. The guy on the phone couldn't provide me with a target lead time.

The current noises I am getting are the spring creaking when turning, and then a knocking sound from the front. For the latter noise I have to get an impact wrench and tighten down the top nut (19 MM) on the spring hat.

I'll post all my findings.

To add to this over the weekend I went over some wicked speed bumps and some more noises ensued after it. At this point I don't know if something else is loose in my suspension. I will have to check everything.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 AM
SmackDown85

Anybody have these same problems with 4th Gen D2s?

Old 01-27-2005, 02:10 PM

I have a 4th gen and I have the noise issues. And wow, we even have the same first name
Old 01-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Wat

Originally Posted by SmackDown85
Anybody have these same problems with 4th Gen D2s?

Damn ben, good to see you're still alive
Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
SmackDown85

Yea dude for a while the Max was in retirement and I was done modding, but that has all changed recently. I'm gettin back in the game and comin hard too, so expect to see some very nice changes to my b*tch soon. haha, most likely I'll be at the CF/SF meet here in Orlando, since I live here now and not Ocala.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
SmackDown85

Anyone else have these clanking problems with their 4th Gen?

Old 01-27-2005, 11:49 PM

yep,, passenger rear defective (clunkity clunk), passenger front (squeeky-havent tried to loosen the bolt and stuff yet...too friggen cold.....HAS anyone sent thier defectives in yet or got any response other than the previously posted letter?....
Old 01-28-2005, 02:00 AM
The Definitive AE Master

have any of you with problems notice that it only happens when its extremely cold?

one issue with the pillow ball mounts is that they are highly suspectible to temperature changes because the tolerances between the metals are very precise
Old 01-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

This weekend I hope to fix my noise issues. For the creaking of the springs when turning I got some flexible pvc tubing to insert on the springs and will be greasing those up. For the knocking sound I get at low speeds I will be using an impact wrench to tighten up the top bolt (19MM). I am hoping that will fix it for now until I get the spring seats from summit racing.

I also found some stainless steel replacement bolts for the hex cap style bolts that attach the lower coilover mounts. The original bolts seem to get frozen and will rust far too quickly. S/S with some anti-sieze should be perfect for this. General FYI, the bolt specs are 8MM, 25MM long, 1.25 thread pitch. I just found them at the local hardware store.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 PM

FYI I called Urban Import today and talked to someone (not Mike) and after shortly describing my issues they set me up to receive a replacement rear coilover when their next replacement shipment comes in in a week or two. This is the only shock I have that does not compress and decompress smoothly. I will keep ya'll updated with this situation.

The noise I am getting I believe due to this faulty shock sounds like someone is banging on the underside of my trunk with a large wrench. I hope this replacement coilover solves this problem.

I still have other minor clunks, but this clunk I just described is 100 times worse than the rest. Once I take care of this one I will work on the rest.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:25 PM

Yea I have three like that so imagine how annoying it is....

I emailed Mike at UrbanImport but I haven't heard back from him yet. I got mine through Marcus' second GB and although he said it was being sorted since the middle of November, nothing was...and now he is no longer a D2 dealer and has said D2 will sort it out.

I've emailed D2 and heard nothing, Mike hasn't replied yet, the Uk D2 dealer says he can't warranty them...

WTF...if they are faulty due to a manufacturing problem then surely D2 should authorise any D2 dealer in the world to replace them at D2's cost...

An interesting point....the UK dealer asked D2 about the oil issue and they were told there isn't a problem with the oil in any of their dampers...?????????????
Old 02-01-2005, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the link, even though I have all the ES bushing on my 2k1, I didn't know they had coil spring isolator, anyway I just took the measurement from the rubber POS on my D2, and the 3.6100 should fit pretty well I'm going to order 2 sets and let you know how well it fit.

I also tested my D2 and I seem to be lucky cuz there all smooth.

Cheers

AA
Old 02-01-2005, 07:30 PM

did you mean the 9.6103? because i cant seem to find the 3.6100 on the website
Old 02-01-2005, 07:35 PM

Oh I should have specified it is the Style A Coil spring isolator it's the first on the column . Here is the link: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/sboots.html
Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I'm still waiting on my coil spring isolaters.....summit racing is slooooowww.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 PM

this is a freakin nightmare,,,,,,,,i tried to loosen the bottom mounting bolt on my rear strut,,,hell no,,broke the friggen socket...tried pb spray, still no go...so i figure ill check the front top bolt and see if i can do anything with that....wtf bolt, the dampener adjuster (very top) or the one under it...either way, both are not gonna loosen, and it feels like it is starting to just turn the whole assembly....so ill pay a freakin shop to loosen the mount bolt with an impact,, someone please explain which bolt to loosen for the squeeky noise in front please,,,big $$$$$$$$$$$$ mistake...not to mention 3 expensive trips to the shop....
Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 AM
The Definitive AE Master

you could have gotten the coil spring isolaters at www.suspension.com (i think they have them in stock)

raybone.. who installed your suspension? That stuff shouldn't be on that tight in the first place. The squeeky noise could be coming from the top bolt underneath the purple **** IF its too loose.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Larrio]you could have gotten the coil spring isolaters at www.suspension.com (i think they have them in stock)

raybone.. who installed your suspension? That stuff shouldn't be on that tight in the first place. The squeeky noise could be coming from the top bolt underneath the purple **** IF its too loose.

I paid a shop about 500 for the install and alignment....the top bolt under the purple **** is DEFINATELY not loose, lol,,,cant even loosen it,,my muscle head friend tried,, no budge,, starts to turn the whole assembly...earlier someone posted that the bolt was TOO TIGHT from the factory and that was causing the squeek? mine is tight as hell and squeeks....
Old 02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by raybone97-I30t
I paid a shop about 500 for the install and alignment....the top bolt under the purple **** is DEFINATELY not loose, lol,,,cant even loosen it,,my muscle head friend tried,, no budge,, starts to turn the whole assembly...earlier someone posted that the bolt was TOO TIGHT from the factory and that was causing the squeek? mine is tight as hell and squeeks....
If it's too tight then you will feel it in your steering. It will be tougher to turn the wheel. This can also make the coil isolaters that D2 provides tear more easily. Those are really the only drawbacks of having it too tight. The squeek is probably coming from your springs rubbing or running against the top and bottom hats.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:49 AM
The Definitive AE Master

i've been talking with a few companies that make coilovers that my parents deal with in taiwan. Apparently most have chosen a new design that does not feature pillow ball mounts because they claim of some type of "knocking noise" after minor usage

Which makes me wonder that if this noise is actually from the pillow ball assembly rather than coilover itself. The pillowball is engineering at such close tolerances and is constantly subject to temperature differences due to the expansion and de-expansion of metal. Essentially its a bearing within .000xx inches of each other

taken from another site:
"I would presume a low-grade pillowball (spherical bearing) which develops some compliance as it wears -- basically, the hole gets big or the spherical bearing gets small and as it moves it makes funky noise."
Old 02-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well....I worked on my coilovers again. Unfortunately the flexible pvc tubing wouldn't fit. It was too thick between the coil spring and the hats. That worries me because I think the coil spring isolaters from energy suspension probably won't fit. BUt we will see once I get those. In the meantime I used some heavy duty grease on the spring and the hats and it seemed to get rid of the creaking sound I had.

I also used an impact wrench to tighten down the top nut. Still no good because the knocking sound is still there, and actually it seems worse. I wonder if it's the struts? I'll change those out (back to my old ones) when I get the stuff from energy suspension. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to do.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Question - do all 4 of your shocks compress and rebound smoothly?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Question - do all 4 of your shocks compress and rebound smoothly?
Don't know about the back, but I haven't heard any noise from those at all. The fronts I had checked before I put them on and they were fine. So I am not really sure where the noise is coming from. All I can do is switch out to the original struts and see if that makes a difference.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 PM

So nobody has a solution for the knocking yet?? I myself have tried just about everything..... Car hasnt been driven for a while now.... My shocks dont compress all that good for the first couple of inches, actually they feel pretty free and then half way through they seem to break loose again. I think mine are blown.... This sucks!!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I haven't had the chance to put the original coilovers back in. I'm still working on the knocking issue.....I'll post my findings, I should have something by this weekend.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:43 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

maybe you guys can check out the write up by Fezzik. He got rid of his noise.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=381677
Old 02-23-2005, 04:55 PM

yeah I read this earlier but I am only getting the knocking sound from the 2 front coilovers.... I took them off 4 times already first I had the creaking sound but I got rid of that and then the knocking sound started.... each time I take them off it seems to work for a while but then as soon as I hit a bump or dip in the road after reinstalling them they start to just do the same as before.... I hope Urbanimports can replace my two front ones cause its ridiculous the amount of knocking sounds that come out of it, it sounds like something is just completely loose in there knocking around ....I will record the sounds sometime this weekend if I can.

Quick Reply: something I noticed about the D2 coilovers