5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ses 2000se

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:22 AM

Ses 2000se

Hey, a few weeks ago my SES light came on (2000 SE). I took it to Autozone after a few days and they pulled a code of P1320 (Manufacturer Control Ignition System or Misfire). The guy said it wasn't a big deal (maybe dirt or something like that), and that if the light came back on, bring it back in. Well, it's been about 2 weeks and the light hasn't come back on. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before, and if it was anything that needs taken care of. BTW, my car has about 73,000 miles on it. Thanks for your input.

Trent
Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
HMS

Hey Trent,

I'm running into the same problem with my 2000 SE. SES light came on a few weeks ago, had it checked out, they found no codes--then about a week later the SES light came back on. I took it back, and then was told that there was a problem with one of my ignition coils. Now my car is running rough, and I need to figure out how the hell to figure out which of the six coils is bad, and then how to fix the thing. I'm trying to find info on this site, but the search fuction is not working. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.

Later,
Hank
Old 10-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i think most 2k'ers here have had ignition coil problems by now, i had them at 37k just after i got my car.
took it to a repair shop and they just fixed it up. but there should be tons of info if you want to replace the coils yourself, in the help threads
Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. Hank, my SES light hasn't come back on, and it's been over 2 weeks now. The code pulled did say something about an ignition misfire, so I guess this could have to do with the coils, but not sure. My car seems to be running fine, though. I'll let ya know if something else comes up.

Ewilfong, what all did you have to have done to your 2k and about how much did it cost? Is this something that would be covered under warranty, since I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty?

Thanks,
Trent
Old 10-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Reported

i had the same exact problem. i was driving and all of a sudden the light came on. I went directly to autozone and they told me it was ignition coil misfiring and the code went away. I took it to my mechanic but he couldn't find which coil it was. got the car back and a week later the car made a sad grumbling noise and the light came back on. the shuddering stopped though. brought it back to my mechanic and ive decided to replace the four that are old since we can't narrow it down. probably going to cost $400 or so.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SES Light

I had the problem start right before my warranty was up and brought it to a Nissan dealer. They told me that they could not find the problem and reset the computer.

I had the problem again after the warranty and they told me that they need to replace the coils and recommend doing a tune up. (how convenient) It would've cost me about $1,000. I hesitated on fixing the problem and it went away for about 6 months during the winter.

Once it got warm, it came back. It would come and go but mostly happened on warmer days, over 70. I finally got sick of it and brought it into Nissan again.

I complained that I did not want to pay for a problem that should have been fixed when I brought it in under warranty. They would not budge and I even complained to Nissan Corp. Still nothing.

I finally took it to my local mechanic and he fixed the problem BY CHANGING ONE COIL and not all of them like Nissan wanted. He did a full tune up and changed the oil filter for a grand total of $550.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:09 AM

Here's what happened on my 2k. I got a check engine light (along with slip and tcs). got code it was p1320, a general engine misfire. Lights went off didnt come back on for a week or two, then it came on again. Same code, went back off, came on again, same code, eventually it stayed on and would throw the error once a day. It still didnt run rought though. I called the dealership they said that with P1320 they just replace all the coils since they dont know which one was bad. I thought that was a little expensive, so i decided to wait till the bad coil reared it's ugly head. And about a week ago it did, the car started running rough, bad idling, etc... got code pulled. Cylinder 2 misfire. Yay!!! went to dealership bought a coil for 60 bucks replaced it in about 5 minutes and now the car is fine.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coil Cost

The cost for the coil and the changes was only like $100. The rest was in the full tune up. I should have clarified. I was just surprised that the dealer wanted to charge me more for the coils than what I paid for the coils, full tune up and oil change.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I'll be sure to check into this problem, before it becomes a problem. If anyone else has any input at all, keep 'em coming! Thanks.

Trent