5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just bought 2002 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:58 PM

Just bought 2002 - questions

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2002 6-speed Maxima - it's a loaded SE without Meridian and with HLSD.

Just a couple of questions though - I was driving home and I noticed at night that there's a very faint SES light on in the dashboard. It's not on fully, it's very dim. It didn't seem to be there in the day time, and I put the key in the on position and when all the lights come on as a test it comes on fully, so it's not just a bad bulb or something - the light does work. I'm going to check again tonight to see if it's on.

Also, for some reason whoever owned it before swapped out the SE muffler for some generic one with a single tip - it looks really stupid and muffles the sound of my engine to where I can barely hear it anymore. I was thinking about swapping in just the regular SE muffler and bringing anything back to stock. Is that the best way to go?

And one last one - when I push down the clutch it makes a little "click" noise - It seems to be working fine - maybe it's just the normal engagement noise, I don't know. But yeah. I didn't think to much of it because my Honda used to make the same click noise whenever I'd press down on the pedal and I was told it was normal by the dealer.

But great car so far - Definitely a step up from my 2001 that I had before.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where on the clutch pedal travel do you hear the click? When the pedal is all the way down?

As for the light, maybe another source of light is "bleeding" over so that it illuminates the light just a little when it's dark. If it was fully on, like when you first turn the key, then I would worry.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM

Probably no big deal with the light, but you could check the codes at autozone just to be sure. It's rather interesting that it's only on dimly.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

take the cluster to the dealer...thats a defect on some 2k2's and they will replace the entire guage cluster for you
Old 10-05-2004, 01:46 PM

I was just about to ask the same question.....I also have an '02 and I noticed the ses light was lit very dimly at night time. I thought it could be on but it was really faint so I figured light from somewhere else was shining through.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

I've had my 2K2 since it was new. The faint SES light is nothing to worry about, it's a known problem. IIRC it's a diode that is causing the problem, no light leakage from something else. I never took mine in to get repaired/replaced. I was afraid the dealer would screw something up when replacing it. I just live with it. It's not throwing a code, so no need to take it in to get it checked. If a problem developes the light will shine brightly. (I've had a couple codes thrown, so I know)
Old 10-05-2004, 05:49 PM

Wow thanks for the answers on that SES light thing...is that a TSB or something?

As for the click noise, it's at the top of the clutch engagement point, when I either push it down or release it. It's not something I feel, just a noise.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

I don't know if there's a TSB for the faint SES light but a lot of guys got it fixed free. Not sure if it was only covered under the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty or not. Take it in and see what they say.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:00 PM

12/12,000? I thought it was 3/36,000!

If they have to replace the gauge, does that mean my mileage will get screwed up or what happens? If that's the case I may just not get that fixed.

Any muffler advice anyone?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wasim521
And one last one - when I push down the clutch it makes a little "click" noise - It seems to be working fine - maybe it's just the normal engagement noise, I don't know. But yeah. I didn't think to much of it because my Honda used to make the same click noise whenever I'd press down on the pedal and I was told it was normal by the dealer.
Ahh yes, the clicky-clutch. I had this same problem and it annoyed me to no end.

I took it to the stealership and they swapped out the pedal assembly and it doesnt click anymore, I'd suggest taking it in.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:42 AM

I get the faint SES light on my '03 SE also. It seems to be intermittant. I notice it sometimes and sometimes not. Or it just may be it's so faint I only notice when the ambient light is really low.

Can't find any TSB on it but will have to check on it next time I'm at the dealership.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

12/12,000? I thought it was 3/36,000!

If they have to replace the gauge, does that mean my mileage will get screwed up or what happens? If that's the case I may just not get that fixed.

Any muffler advice anyone?
Might be covered with the 3/36. The 12/12 is the bumper to bumper coverage. I know it would be covered within the first year.

They will reset the new cluster to your existing mileage.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:23 AM

Clicky Noise in gearshift

I have a 03 Auto and sometimes I hear/feel the click in my gearshift when I am easing off the brakes or pressing it in. Anybody hear/feel that? Doesn't happen all the time - sometimes I feel it when the car is "cold" - usually it goes away. I just got this car about 3 months ago...

Thanks
Old 10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

take to dealer for faint ses light. when i brought my 02 new i was like that from day one. they will replace instrument cluster. when i got the car back the didn't correctly enter the right mileage. for some reason the set it back like 1100 miles but i guess that benifits me..........don't live with the faint ses its a know problem and they will fix it
Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2002 6-speed Maxima - it's a loaded SE without Meridian and with HLSD.

Just a couple of questions though - I was driving home and I noticed at night that there's a very faint SES light on in the dashboard. It's not on fully, it's very dim. It didn't seem to be there in the day time, and I put the key in the on position and when all the lights come on as a test it comes on fully, so it's not just a bad bulb or something - the light does work. I'm going to check again tonight to see if it's on.

Also, for some reason whoever owned it before swapped out the SE muffler for some generic one with a single tip - it looks really stupid and muffles the sound of my engine to where I can barely hear it anymore. I was thinking about swapping in just the regular SE muffler and bringing anything back to stock. Is that the best way to go?

But great car so far - Definitely a step up from my 2001 that I had before.
I'd hate to burst your bubble on the whole exhaust issue, but our engines are so quiet that puttling on the stock muffler won't really allow you to hear it any more, hehe.
Looks are another issue. If you wanna get a little bit of growl out of it, and keep it looking stock, get a Cattman exhaust.

As far as the clicking noise, it did it to me for a day, then it want away. Wierd. If you are under warranty & it's still making the noise, definately take it in.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by aliti19
I'd hate to burst your bubble on the whole exhaust issue, but our engines are so quiet that puttling on the stock muffler won't really allow you to hear it any more, hehe.
Looks are another issue. If you wanna get a little bit of growl out of it, and keep it looking stock, get a Cattman exhaust.

As far as the clicking noise, it did it to me for a day, then it want away. Wierd. If you are under warranty & it's still making the noise, definately take it in.
Really though? I had a 2001 and the stock muffler let me hear the engine quite nicely, especially once I threw the Injen in there. Did that change in 2002?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Haven't paid attention to the 00-01's stock sound. Maybe i'm just used to hearing AM exhausts and the stock sound is more or less nothing.