5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which one to buy and why.
D2's
33.33%
JIC magic
33.33%
TEIN SUPER STREET Damper
33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Coilover popularity, which one to buy and why.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coilover popularity, which one to buy and why.

I’ve seen a strut popularity poll, but not one for full coilovers. List your preference and why you choose them. Hopefully this will help other like myself who are trying to decide which coilover setup to purchase.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:00 AM

JIC's, camber adjustment, u pay extra for that on the teins, and the d2s have some problem with the rubber seals or something. that and my us1's are awesome, i never thought id actually have a suspension that was this easy to adjust and install, i had maxspeed son stocks, b4 i got my JIC's if that makes a differance
Old 10-06-2004, 07:12 AM

The D2's seem to have many of the same features you can find on the JIC for a fraction of the cost. I'm not sure about the ride quality, where I know the JIC's are super smooth....

TEINS look intresting also, but I have not heard much about the ride quality.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by RELENTLESS
The D2's seem to have many of the same features you can find on the JIC for a fraction of the cost.
There are reasons for that. I think as time goes by issues could be seen in terms of quality. I'm happy with my JICs, but the price of the D2s is hard to ignore.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:57 AM

It will be hard to make a choice. The only way to tell a real difference would to ride in multiple cars of the same set up. I thought of Coilovers myself. I would also like to know b/c it provides a longer appeal to someone who will keep their car rather than have a regular suspension and be stuck w/ the settings. You should make your own priorites.

1.Cost 2.Performance 3.Bragging Rights. For me
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM
The Definitive AE Master

the noises experienced in the d2's are common in other maximas that I have driven with JIC's or Kei-office (jdm) coilovers.

the d2's have relatively the same spring rates as the JIC's, only difference is the rear (7kg d2 vs 6kg JIC). It shares the same monotube design, pillow ball mounts, and camber plate with more adjustability than the JIC's for half the price.

I wanted to opt for the tein coilovers with EDFC, but the price doesn't justify what i'm getting.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 PM

Well Ive done alot reading on the D2's and despite the D2’s high spring rate, they appear to be rather smooth and smoother then most spring / strut combos.
I just ordered a set of D2’s and should have them by next week. I’ll be greasing the top and bottom coil to avoid any popping sounds and will post my opinion on the ride quality for any others who might be interested in purchasing coils.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:36 PM

I agree that the price of the D2s is hard to pass up. When it comes to the realistic use of coilovers, almost none of us are using them for their intended purpose and probably never will. With that in mind, anything over 1k for a suspension that you drive on daily is overkill. I am pleased that D2s are so cheap right now.

The complaints so far have been about noise (springs need greese or covers) and one person has mentioned something with a rubber gasket of some sort. Keeping in mind that most individuals here are installing their own equipment, installation error could be part of the issue. As well, who here goes to a suspension shop to have the car balanced?

For the price D2s are just too good to pass on and I have a set coming in the next week. Should there be issues with them, get the money back (hopefully), but someone has to play test-dummy and this time there are quite a few willing to do it without dropping over 1000 each. At least no one can say that after testing the Tiens last year.......

Hopefully I don't get burned, as well as the others making the first run on this setup. Better off being out $800 than $1600.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 PM

jic flt a1's...
Old 10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by rob van dam
jic flt a1's...

Old 10-06-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by rob van dam
jic flt a1's...
have mine and still lovin them
Old 10-06-2004, 03:30 PM
The Definitive AE Master

and the why?
Old 10-06-2004, 03:39 PM

I have a 4th gen, so if you feel that my post is irrelivant - ignore it.

I bought the D2 coilovers and am experiencing that rubber seal problem, the car still rides great (very smooth, and its adjustable to your personal liking), and handles very well, but it clicks and clanks when I turn the wheel at low speeds. Supposedly all coilovers do this and some grease on the top part of the coil will fix this problem.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Cattman coilovers are good. i didn't like the jic's when rode in them.

to each his own...
Old 10-06-2004, 03:54 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by PoLo

to each his own...
i agree..most people have different opinions on how a car rides. i can tell you that coilovers are WAY better than ANY spring/strut combo...

Old 10-06-2004, 04:02 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by SR20-TURBO
i agree..most people have different opinions on how a car rides. i can tell you that coilovers are WAY better than ANY spring/strut combo...
agreed.....also the extremity of it's use. someone may think they want/need coils when in reality they may not. hell, we really don't NEED any of this stuff, just like the lowered look =)
i know one .org member who already switched to regular springs cause he realized he didn't need. rather sell them and get money in his pockets. good for him. he realized. i may go back to semi-stock height next year.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by SR20-TURBO
agreed. especially with springs that lower the car way to much, sacrificing alot of spring travel for suspension height. The coils on those springs are incredibly compressed, almost no travel
Old 10-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by RELENTLESS
Well Ive done alot reading on the D2's and despite the D2’s high spring rate, they appear to be rather smooth and smoother then most spring / strut combos.
I just ordered a set of D2’s and should have them by next week. I’ll be greasing the top and bottom coil to avoid any popping sounds and will post my opinion on the ride quality for any others who might be interested in purchasing coils.

How does greasing help?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Conecarver

to each his own...
Another vote here for Cattman/Progress coilovers. Biased since I haven't tried anything else. Tein wouldn't support the 4th gen and JIC was just too much $$. Good construction, cheap revalving, good customer service, camber & height adjustable. Just no damping adjustment while installed.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I live life on the edge

For the price you can't beat the ride and adjustability! In my opinion they ride better than the stock SE setup and I'm very picky about ride quality. The noise on the other hand makes your car sound like a POS (piece of ****) I'm going to try wrapping the first 2-3 rounds of the coil with nylon tubing or something similar and this greasing that dblrr900 is talking about. I'll post anything thats works and keep everyone updated with the results.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:00 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Another vote here for Cattman/Progress coilovers. Biased since I haven't tried anything else. Tein wouldn't support the 4th gen and JIC was just too much $$. Good construction, cheap revalving, good customer service, camber & height adjustable. Just no damping adjustment while installed.
How come Cattman doesn't list any coilovers on their site?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
JIC's, camber adjustment, u pay extra for that on the teins, and the d2s have some problem with the rubber seals or something. that and my us1's are awesome, i never thought id actually have a suspension that was this easy to adjust and install, i had maxspeed son stocks, b4 i got my JIC's if that makes a differance
I've never heard of a JIC US1? Link?

to each his own...
There are different spring rates and so many various setting combinations, your ride/s really don't mean much...
Old 10-06-2004, 07:02 PM

Don't forget about those toser's baby . They are a little bumpy at times but the roads in La are horrible and i have 35 series tires doesn't help either. O'well i got a hell of a deal with mine costing around $700 and having the same D2/JIC design minus the pillow ball mounts. Plus only 3 maximas in the U.S. have them
Old 10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
2-Wheelin it...

this is gonna turn into another really stupid thread, cause there are more than a handful of coilover brands so obviously people only praise what they purchased. the second someone mentions something other than JIC, people get a titty attack, like they own JIC or something. it really is almost pitiful.

just watch..it's almost entertaining.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:55 PM

my JIC are up in the FS section for 5th gen...they are almost new
Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Igor911
my JIC are up in the FS section for 5th gen...they are almost new
Does your JIC have same/similar noise issues as D2s?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Does your JIC have same/similar noise issues as D2s?
The rears did at first...but that was because the spring was loose between the 2 seats.

I tightened it and never heard another sound

Here is the link to the FS: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=342753
Old 10-07-2004, 05:03 AM

I just thought of a great way to resolve the coilover clunk and pop noise. Previously I had posted my past experiences with greasing the top and bottom coil to eliminate noise; while this method has proven to work well, I wanted a better solution that would require less maintenance. I’m going to experiment with wrapping my upper and lower coils with Teflon prior to installing them. I think if the Teflon holds up well it could be a low maintenance fix for noisy coils. I’ll post my results next week after the install, or if someone would like to try this sooner and post there findings, then please do so.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by skalberti
How come Cattman doesn't list any coilovers on their site?
Can't answer for Catts. Probably because he hasn't updated his site in over a year (says new one is coming). He has done 2 GD's here on the .org and the 200SX folks are doing their first deal now. Progress stated they've shipped like 20-25 Maxima set's already
Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 AM

Hey guys, the D2 are really well design and like many mentioned the price cant be ignored, the only draback is the weak rubber that seem to wear off quickly but knowing this now it can be worked out from the beginning I will be cutting new rubber with more robust material, so it's no big deal and easy to fix, thanks to Kpazzo to letting us know. My D2 wont go in before next spring, the cold weather
can apparently wear them off faster.

Cheers

AA
Old 05-14-2005, 01:31 PM

y hasnt anyone mentioned Ground controls??
Old 05-14-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
because they are the cream of the crap. they are not worth mentioning.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
because they are the cream of the crap. they are not worth mentioning.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
because they are not true coilovers. they are garbage
Old 05-15-2005, 06:08 AM

so do the JIC's exhibit the same kind of popping sounds and noice issues as the D2's are plagued with?

I am curious to see if this whole wrapping the coils does the trick for the D2's...
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM

is 9Kg front and 7Kg rear too harsh for the street? I will be eventually taking it to the track and autoX...or do the D2 and JIC's still ride nice?

I just wish the cattman/progress CO's were pillowball mount uppers with a monotube shock design! then adjustable or not...I would get those!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Here's my opinion on this. It all depends on the roads that you drive on. All of them perform in similar fashion with different pricing and adjustments but if you have smooth roads than any of them are good.

Unfortunately I have ****ty roads and Queens is bumpy heaven. My JIC's take a beating even though I avoid every bump on the road. My reflexes are extraordinary because of all the training I been doing avoiding the imperfections on the road.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
+Cru OG

How does K-Sport coilovers hold up to Tein, JIC/D2? I've read threads of the K-Sports but no decisive comparison between other coilovers.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I believe that Tein and JIC's may have better struts, which aids in dampening smoothness and ride feel

I believe d2's and k-sports use generic normal gas pressurized struts.

All have their pros and cons.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Horra!!

My D2's made a lot of noise even when they were greased up. I had to stuff the broken pieces of the spring isolators back into their seats every week. Eventually I got some ES spring isolators (Do a search if you are looking for these) and all my noises had gone away. The ride seems way more smooth also. I'm really happy with my D2's now. If you don't want to go through the noises then I recommend getting the ES spring isolators to replace the ones that come with the D2's before you install them.

Quick Reply: Coilover popularity, which one to buy and why.