5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Oh hell yes...MP3 to Bose Solution - DONE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 01:39 PM
retired moderator

Oh hell yes...MP3 to Bose Solution - DONE!!!!!!

Ok, so I did this during Halftime of the football games...couldn't wait til tomorrow!

The result: PERFECT sound from my MP3, and some input/output level adjustability too. This plugs INTO the car antenna, so there is no interference from outside radio signals like a normal FM modulator....

So here's the HOW-TO:

First, what you need (well, what I used):
-Alpine CRA-1667RF Changer/XM Radio Controller
-Antenna adaptor cords: (2) the ones I used are made by "AntennaWorks" and appear to be good quality (got them from a specialty A/V shop):
40-NI10 and 40-NI20. These are double attachments, so even though they have split lines, you only use 1 of each....
-Wire that is a twin RCA (white and red) that goes into headphone jack at the other end.
-Double-sided tape
-Sticky-back velcro

It's pretty easy to do, and you can do it several different ways. As you can see in the 2nd pic here, this is what the setup looks like.
Here's what to do:
1. Find placement for the inner Alpine unit. There is a perfect spot for it on top of the black box (TCM?) behind the radio (arrow inthe 2nd photo). Attach with double-sided tape.
2. Attache power wires. I attached into the radio wiring harness. Yellow is power (Battery) and Purple is ignition power in the radio harness. splice in to those. The ground can be attached at several places back there...
3. Other than that, all the wiring can be run wherever it needs to depending on wheree you put your MP3 player. I have mine on a bracket up high, so I ran wires through a small notch i cut in the top part of the shifter console and attached using small velcro pieces. I attached the Alpine display unit right above the ashtray with double-sided tape. Fits perfectly and isn't in the way of anything.

basically, with some basic electrical knowledge and some creativity, you can rig this up many ways.......Run wires where you need them, not necessarily where I ran them.

Anyhow, I'm very happy with the setup, here's some pics, and enjoy! (more pics on second post of this thread) Sorry the first 3 pics are so small, I need to fix them!

Old 10-10-2004, 01:39 PM
retired moderator

The finished product:
Old 10-10-2004, 01:56 PM

Wow Josh!!!! very good!!!! BTW I think you'll need to wash your carpets!! jejeje
Old 10-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Excellent, irish! I agree, the SQ of the MP3 should be great compared to an FM modulator or casette interface.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:11 PM
retired moderator

Yeah I tried a cassette one this morning and was not at all happy with the sound so i returned it and got lucky finding this Alpine component....Went to a local audio shop on a whim and they happened to be having a clearance sale! Luck O' The Irish
Old 10-10-2004, 02:35 PM

heh, i looked some up my self today and found one on autotoys.com......
Irish...
question: what rated bulbs did you use, and were they the 3 volt blue's?
and, where did you get them?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:46 PM
retired moderator

bulbs? what chu talkin' bout Willis?
Old 10-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Z

You are my God, sir.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:55 PM
I live life on the edge

Ok let me get this straight. If your input is from the headphone jack into the RCA's on the Apline unit why are you using the antenna adapters? If you are using the antenna adapters, then it is RF modulated and you are listening to FM quality sound not digital.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:32 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by skalberti
Ok let me get this straight. If your input is from the headphone jack into the RCA's on the Apline unit why are you using the antenna adapters? If you are using the antenna adapters, then it is RF modulated and you are listening to FM quality sound not digital.
In case you're not aware, the Bose head unit doesn't have RCA inputs/outputs....so there are essentially three choices for running an MP3 player to it:

1. broadcast FM modulator (transmits to FM antenna through the airwaves). This choice results in quite a bit of background noise, especiallyl in the DC area, in which all the radio band are pretty crowded.
2. tape-deck adaptor. This basically sounds like you're listening to a 3rd copy of a cassette tape....noise, not good clarity, etc.
3. what I did. No, it's not digital (never said it was...) but the sound is very clear...much better than choices 1 and 2.

I tested clarity by playing a song off a CD in the CD player, then switching over to the MP3 and playing the same song. To my ears, there was almost no difference at all, even at high volumes....

So it's not digital....ok. Digital IS NOT POSSIBLE via the stock Bose head unit...that's the point - so the goal was only to get the best analog signal available......
Old 10-10-2004, 04:34 PM
retired moderator

The Alpine unit is the "Middleman" between the MP3 player and the Bose head unit, essentially. The difference is that since it actually PLUGS IN to the radio antenna, it eliminates the interference you get from transmit FM modulators.....
Old 10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by irish44j
In case you're not aware, the Bose head unit doesn't have RCA inputs/outputs....so there are essentially three choices for running an MP3 player to it:

1. broadcast FM modulator (transmits to FM antenna through the airwaves). This choice results in quite a bit of background noise, especiallyl in the DC area, in which all the radio band are pretty crowded.
2. tape-deck adaptor. This basically sounds like you're listening to a 3rd copy of a cassette tape....noise, not good clarity, etc.
3. what I did. No, it's not digital (never said it was...) but the sound is very clear...much better than choices 1 and 2.

I tested clarity by playing a song off a CD in the CD player, then switching over to the MP3 and playing the same song. To my ears, there was almost no difference at all, even at high volumes....

So it's not digital....ok. Digital IS NOT POSSIBLE via the stock Bose head unit...that's the point - so the goal was only to get the best analog signal available......
Theres four choices, the last one being full digital using your stock bose unit. Granted its a lot of coin, but well worth it. I installed mine under the passenger seat, for easy access. I've got about 4500 songs on mine so far and only half of the portable hard drive is full. I actually can have better than CD quality sound since I can run higher digital rates. Regular CD is about 128 kbps I can run up to 320 kbps. comparing that to a CD, the MP3 sounds better with better bass definition. It digitally connects through the 6 disk changer port, plus there's no extra clutter on the dash.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/di...ers/nissan.php
Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 PM
retired moderator

ok...well I meant "within reason".... Not all of us have $1k to throw into making our car audio sound "perfect" (or would spend $1K on it, at least..)

obviously I could get one of my MIT buddies to take apart the Bose and hardwire some RCA inputs or have them build something that is essentially like what you posted. Or I could drop $800+ on what you have, but if I was gonna spend that kind of dough, I sure as hell wouldn't keep the Bose system...

That said, what you posted is pretty kewl....I'm sure some people with money to burn will be interested in doing it that way....

As to sound...well things can always be better (my all-Alpine setup in my Accord sounded far better than our Bose)....Bass definition is not real important to me as I listen primarily to old-school punk and alot of underground music that doesn't have good production in the first place...and I don't feel like anything is "cluttered" with my current setup...I feel like everything I want to control is in perfect position (which is why I mounted the MP3 player where I did).

anyways, thanks for the input...
Old 10-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice job. WOW!
Old 10-10-2004, 05:41 PM
I live life on the edge

what you did was a great idea for good sound at a low cost. I used to be into custom built stuff and car audio. I installed for 5-6 years through college. I've gotten old now and like the sound quality, but the though of ripping my car apart and running all the wires and high output alternators kills me. The factory Bose is "alright" for what it is. I did take out the Bose rattle trap sub and made a custom rear deck enclosure for a rockford pro DVC 8" and a rockford 250 watt mono block amp. My props to you for your creativity. Thats what custom car audio is all about, creativity
Old 10-10-2004, 05:44 PM
retired moderator

Yeah...I'm still a rookie at car audio....nothing but basic head unit and speaker installs, so this was staying at my level My expertise is mechanical stuff on classic cars.....but this is one step up from my Home Depot mods...

The maxima is so damn noisy from road and tire noise (and my roof rack) in the first place, it kind of makes it hard to get perfect sound anyhow
Old 10-10-2004, 05:49 PM
I live life on the edge

Yeah the maxima is not known for its "quiet interior"
Old 10-10-2004, 06:57 PM

can't find bulbs thread

Originally Posted by Irish
willis was asking about the bulbs with which you replaced the stock display (by taking apart HU, and arm control panels)
great job too, i installed for a year and was the only one forging plastic with soldering irons to relenquish the gap in the 4th gen aftermarket HU kit.

basically... I love finding easy but time-consuming things to make the car more YOURS. Excellent job, it's what moding is about (although SKALBERTI, I can see why after doing it for 5-6 years it would get rather annoying!)
Old 10-10-2004, 07:03 PM
retired moderator

Oh, if he was asking about the bulbs...I didn't change the dash bulbs. I put colored inserts in front of the LCD displays and colored the insides of the buttons blue. The bulbs are still the OEM white bulbs (with the little "condom" thingies removed).

BTW-The Alpine display part DOES have a facing and mounting bracket, so if I felt like cutting a hole somewhere in the dash or center console (I didn't) I could have mounted it flush....but not ready to go that far just yet....
Old 10-10-2004, 08:17 PM

nice, that still looks good, did that for my dome before you could go to pepbou's/autozone and buy them blue/hyp white, plan on switch the bulbs though, want some input as to which kind, will find elswhere,

piece[sic]
Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 PM
retired moderator

try www.lightlens.com
Old 10-10-2004, 08:31 PM

THIS is the site I was planning on ordering from
Old 10-10-2004, 08:33 PM
retired moderator

my best mod in the last few months and you gotta hijack my thread with light bulb posts
Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 PM

... err... I said it looks good, looks great, i liked the strap metal mod to, very nice, seriously.. don't want to offend the "Mod King", but i liked your blue display too...
SOSUMI
Old 10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
retired moderator

haha just kidding man, i don't care....
Old 10-10-2004, 08:49 PM

i figureed, great mod though, beat me to it anyway, hope my fri/sat posts had some small part in this
Old 10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
retired moderator

kind of....I was just lucky there was a guy at Myer-Emco that knew what he was talkingabout and pointed me toward the right stuff.....
Old 10-10-2004, 09:03 PM

Fantastic mod, I've been trying to do something like this for my ipod forever.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:06 PM
† ErV †

I hate you. This is what my "lunch" money will be going on this weekend.

Thank you sire.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:08 PM

nice, nice, good job, mad props yo
Old 10-11-2004, 07:10 AM

Good job.

My iPod doesn't sound that great. I thought there was no interference at first, but now I realize there is. The FM Modulator I used is just like your thing, it replaces the outside FM singal...it doesn't just broadcast on it. Hope yours stays clean and clear.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 AM

So you still get regular FM stations ok?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:50 AM

Irish never seems to stop amazin, keep on.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:44 AM

well, digital is not possible without, say... extensive research and internal modification of the stock BOSE unit (never say never, although you won't find me working on it, since I'm all aftermarket now)
Old 10-11-2004, 10:39 AM

my pioneer hu plays mp3's so i dont really this mod
Old 10-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Awesome

I always knew there was a way to hardwire it, even though its not digital...

Anyway what do you guys think of this.... is the same idea?

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

I am thinking about getting rid of my rio mp3 player and getting an IPOD.

THanks
Roger
Old 10-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what the heck guys? I just ordered an adaptor that turns the cd changer input into an AUX. I will be hooking up my Roady later this week. To Stillen, I got it in Weymouth at Boomer McCloud from Julio.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:12 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mistaneon
what the heck guys? I just ordered an adaptor that turns the cd changer input into an AUX. I will be hooking up my Roady later this week. To Stillen, I got it in Weymouth at Boomer McCloud from Julio.
unless there's something that JUST came out, you ordered the adaptor for the 4th-gen maxima.....I checked with the company that makes those adaptors CGR to AUX and they said they only have them up to 99 maxes....anyhow, hope it works for you....

Originally Posted by SKYrockerr
my pioneer hu plays mp3's so i dont really this mod
ok...thanks for letting us know that

Originally Posted by Triangleman
So you still get regular FM stations ok?
Yes, you just turn the Alpine unit off and FM stations come in clear....
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by radpp16
I always knew there was a way to hardwire it, even though its not digital...

Anyway what do you guys think of this.... is the same idea?

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

I am thinking about getting rid of my rio mp3 player and getting an IPOD.

THanks
Roger
Yes, that's the same idea, but Nissan CD changer inputs use a different plug than that. For some reason, you cannot plug just ANY cd changer into the Bose (Alpine, Pioneer, etc..) you have to use a specific changer. My honda's OEM stereo had the round CD changer inputs shown in that thing....ours have a square input plug...

Also this one only works for iPods, which have different plug-ins than the iRiver, Rio, Dell, etc.. MP3 players...
Old 10-11-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Yes, that's the same idea, but Nissan CD changer inputs use a different plug than that. For some reason, you cannot plug just ANY cd changer into the Bose (Alpine, Pioneer, etc..) you have to use a specific changer. My honda's OEM stereo had the round CD changer inputs shown in that thing....ours have a square input plug...

Also this one only works for iPods, which have different plug-ins than the iRiver, Rio, Dell, etc.. MP3 players...
isn't our stock BOSE systems made by Clarion? maybe Clarion has something that'd work?

Quick Reply: Oh hell yes...MP3 to Bose Solution - DONE!!!!!!