5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

One Or The Other...or Both

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:51 PM

One Or The Other...or Both

Okay, so it seems like the y-pipe is the way to go for HP vs $spent. My next question is, I've seen the Cattman header/y-pipe combo for sale. And I've seen the Cattman y-pipe for sale. But, does Cattman sell the header separately? Everybody says to get the y-pipe, but do they mean the y-pipe and header combo, or just the y-pipe. And if I get just the y-pipe, can I not go back and just purchase the header to complete the free flowing exhaust system? Or am I asking too many questions? Info please!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:25 AM

There is only one way to do it... Read Carefully... Think about what you want now, so that later you wont regret it.You can only buy either the y pipe, or the header/y pipe combo. If you do only buy the y pipe and later want the headers its not possible so make a good decision so that way you dont regret it. either way, its gonna cost you 300 dollars more to get the y pipe/header combination then just the y pipe itself. so for an extra 300 dollars more you will gain more power.. but if you buy just the ypipe and reconsider headers your going to have to sale your y pipe that you just bought and rebuy the ypipe/header comboo.. One more thing putting headers takes manny hours more then just putting a y pipe.. if that helps you any better.. good luck on your decsion let me know what decsion you chose to make..
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by NisMo-Max
There is only one way to do it... Read Carefully... Think about what you want now, so that later you wont regret it.You can only buy either the y pipe, or the header/y pipe combo. If you do only buy the y pipe and later want the headers its not possible so make a good decision so that way you dont regret it. either way, its gonna cost you 300 dollars more to get the y pipe/header combination then just the y pipe itself. so for an extra 300 dollars more you will gain more power.. but if you buy just the ypipe and reconsider headers your going to have to sale your y pipe that you just bought and rebuy the ypipe/header comboo.. One more thing putting headers takes manny hours more then just putting a y pipe.. if that helps you any better.. good luck on your decsion let me know what decsion you chose to make..
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I fully understand what you're saying. It seems as if most of the guys I've seen on the org run just the y-pipe and their other mods. I guess you've gone the same route. Do you have any idea why? Is it because there's marginal gains from going with the header and y-pipe combo or just a sound preference? I'm assuming that the exhaust note would be noticeably louder. When I put my DC header on my last Honda ( yep, I said LAST Honda ) my exhaust became MUCH louder. At the time I liked it. Now, I'm not looking for something TOO loud. Let me know if you got any other insight. Just trying to plan what I want Santa ( My girlfriend ) to bring for X-mas!
Old 10-16-2004, 01:38 AM

do a y-pipe if you want that extra push. Get headers if you have the time and really want some serious performance gains. YOu can always switch but you have to deal with install