5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Something I've never seen on the org. . . (big pic)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 04:43 PM
mjg

the navy is getting the joint strike fighter. I don't know if this is the same as regular vtol, but it has a giant rotor in the middle, and can take off and land or hover like a helicpter.

This to me is much cooler then the F22, but you know u guys are comparing f14 and f16... aren't f14s strictly for dogfights, where as the f16s are multipurpose, and used for bombing as well as dogfights?
http://www.jsf.mil/NSFrames.htm
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft...5/pics02.shtml

Shaft Driven Lift Fan (SDLF)

Lockheed Martin has developed a STOVL lift system that uses a vertically oriented Lift Fan. A two-stage low-pressure turbine on the engine delivers the horsepower to drive the STOVL Lift Fan. The Lift Fan generates a column of cool air that produces nearly 20,000 pounds of lifting power using variable inlet guide vanes to modulate the airflow, along with an equivalent amount of thrust from the downward vectored rear exhaust to lift the aircraft. The Lift Fan has a clutch that engages for STOVL operations and a telescoping "D" -shaped hood to provide thrust deflection. Because the lift fan extracts power from the engine, exhaust temperatures are reduced by about 200 degrees compared to traditional STOVL systems. The SDLF concept was successfully demonstrated through a Large Scale Powered Model (LSPM) in 1995-96. The lift fan, a patented Lockheed Martin design, was developed and produced by Rolls-Royce Corp. at its North American facility in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by carabuser
relax buddy. or change your screen resolution from 800x600 to something bigger...
or i could you

i meant huge as in taking up bandwith. and why do we need to keep seeing the pic? we say it at the beggining.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by soonerfan
can people stop quoting the original post!!
there is no reason to have that HUGE picture on here 10 times.
You can never have too many pictures of the R34 in a thread.

BTW... The GT-R coming to the USA in 2007 is not the R34.

The Japanese R34 is no longer in production. The Skyline in Japan now is the V35 Skyline, which made its way to the USA as the Infiniti G35 sedan. The Japanese V35 was introduced with two engine choices: a 2.5l V6 with 215hp or a 3.0l V6 with 260hp. The Infiniti G35, of course, comes with the VQ35 (like our Maximas).

As things stand right now, the Skyline/G35 derivatives available in Japan and North America are pretty sporty, but there is currently no GT-R version of the Skyline in production. Japan, North America, and several other markets will be seeing a new GT-R in 2007, but Nissan has decided to split the GT-R away from the Skyline family for various reasons. The car that we will see in 2007 will not be called a Nissan Skyline GT-R. It will simply be called a Nissan GT-R, and it will probably look more like the recently unveiled GT-R concept car than the current V35 Skyline/Infiniti G35. The new GT-R probably won't use an RB series engine, since the RB series is so old. Whatever engine Nissan uses, it will probably be one that we've already seen (or one that's closely modeled on an existing Nissan/Infiniti engine). A VQ is very likely, and forced induction is possible. Speculation ranges wildly from a VQ35 with forced induction (which is what a lot of 350Z owners have been doing to their cars anyway) to a modified version of the new VQ40 (to be used in the new Frontier and X-Terra) to the VK45 (currently used in the Infiniti Q45, FX45, and M45). Considering the refinement of ATTESA and Super-HICAS on previous GT-Rs and the Infiniti FX series of SUVs, these systems are likely to be kept on the new GT-R.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:23 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mjg
the navy is getting the joint strike fighter. I don't know if this is the same as regular vtol, but it has a giant rotor in the middle, and can take off and land or hover like a helicpter.

This to me is much cooler then the F22, but you know u guys are comparing f14 and f16... aren't f14s strictly for dogfights, where as the f16s are multipurpose, and used for bombing as well as dogfights?
Yes, the JSF is cool, but not an "air superiority fighter" but more like the F-16, a multi-role fighter.

And yes, the F14 was originally just for air superiority.
But not dogfights specifically. Dogfights are close-in air-to-air battle, glorified in Top Gun. The F14 was really made to shoot down strategic bombers at 50+ miles away with the Pheonix AAM, not to dogfight. Of course its size gives it disadvantage in dogfighting, but it's size allows it to carry long-range missiles which would kill and F16 or MiG-29 before they even were close enough to fire their missiles.

Also, the F-14D has ground-attack capability as well - actually almost 1/3 of the laser-guided bombs dropped in desert storm and iraqi freedom were from F-14's, which can carry a much heavier load of bombs than an F-16

Old 10-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Cletus

again an F-15 is better in air-to-air engagments against other fighters through a mixture of unprecedented maneuverability and acceleration, range, weapons and avionics. . with the increase in technology dogfighting is a thing of the past. because of the f-15 very good BVR (beyond visual range) capability, it can detect a low RCS (radar cross section) manuevering target further then any other fighter. the actual range classified but it is further then then any other fighter vs a low RCS target (10M2) ..then engage it with the AMRAAM (advanced medium range air to air missile) at 20+ miles. it has an active radar which enables the f-15 to track and engage multiple targets simultaneously. it also makes it LAL (launch and leave) after the inertial midcourse which means the pilot may then perform evasive maneuvers while the missiles guide themselves to their targets.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Cletus

in the background you will see the best airborne warning and control aircraft in the world

a tomkitty cant even keep up with a mighty eagle. he is about to get 3 jets.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:58 PM
retired moderator

but your precious air force fighters can't do this:

Caption for this photo :With the size of F-14 squadrons getting smaller, the Navy decided that they don't need no longer the huge aircraft carriers and that smaller boats with aircraft carrying capability will fill the needs
Old 10-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Cletus

the navy isnt that good at it either

Old 10-23-2004, 08:02 PM
retired moderator

Movies made about fighters:
F-14: Top Gun (classic)
F-15: Behind Enemy Lines (?) ....weak
F-16: Iron Eagle I, II, III, IV, 27, etc......SUPER
MiGs: Firefox (kind of...)
Old 10-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by irish44j
Movies made about fighters:
F-14: Top Gun (classic)
F-15: Behind Enemy Lines (?) ....weak
F-16: Iron Eagle I, II, III, IV, 27, etc......SUPER
MiGs: Firefox (kind of...)
well now we see how smart you are!! yes, behind enemy lines was weak. including the pilot that got shot out down in his NAVY F-18
Old 10-23-2004, 08:07 PM
retired moderator

I have no love for the F-18...didn't even see that movie. The Navy wouldn't help the producers make it, so I knew it would be lame...
Old 10-23-2004, 08:19 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i am not liking that at all IMO.
agreed.....
Old 10-23-2004, 09:02 PM

ummm well..i was actually talking about the BIG @SS INTAKE UNDER THE FUSELAGE...but thank.
I said iffffffff you were talking about the gunport man, If I knew you were a USAF staff sgt I wouldn't think you might be talking about the port.

and i didnt post the F-16 to say that it was a better fighter..i did it cause its intake looks like that hood scoop. the F-15 is the best air-to-air fighter. as far as multi-role...the f-16? ha ha ha neither even come close to the F-15E Strike Eagle.
LOL yea but the F-15C Eagle or F-15E Strike Eagle and F-14D can't be compared to the F-18/F-16 because of the huge differences in class/weight/price/etc. And that was directed to Irish calling the F-16 a fake fighter, not best/worst/etc.

Anyways, we can't get more off topic than this, so if you guys want we could discuss this somewhere else. to you for becoming a USAF Staff Sgt.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:53 AM

What the hell are you guys talking about? I appreciate the fighter jet references and yes, some of that stuff may be car related, but I think there's a forum titled "non maxima discussion" for all that crap.

Back to the hood scoop, that black 5th gen with the hood scoop is just about the coolest Max mod I've seen so far anywhere. I am going to go outside right now and start cutting!

I'm also going to install a gun turret mod with 55mph left lane Cadillac auto targeting!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:08 AM
mjg

back to the discussion?

I think this all got started because we were pretty much thinking that maxima with the hood scoop looks totally retarded.

Which i agree with.

Free to your opinion, but if people really want to have a discussion about the
Ram-air maxima, or whatever the hell that weird thing is, be my guest.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:57 AM
It's business time.

Screw your F-14 with air superiority and step into air DOMINANCE: F-22

Old 10-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wheres the Su-33 when you need it?
Old 10-24-2004, 08:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Stevoreno007
What the hell are you guys talking about? I appreciate the fighter jet references and yes, some of that stuff may be car related, but I think there's a forum titled "non maxima discussion" for all that crap.

Back to the hood scoop, that black 5th gen with the hood scoop is just about the coolest Max mod I've seen so far anywhere. I am going to go outside right now and start cutting!

I'm also going to install a gun turret mod with 55mph left lane Cadillac auto targeting!
ah chill out over there.....this thread was going nowhere til we put something more interesting in it I can agree with you about OT posts, but sometimes it's all right to have some fun, especially when stuck at home on a saturday night.....no more airplane posts, I promise