5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does a FSTB or a RSB help handling in regular driving?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 02:41 PM

B/c I had a neuspeed FSTB installed in our 98 Accord, and I felt that I had been ripped off. i couldn't feel any difference b/t being stock and having a FSTB on, even when turning. The only time when i felt a difference is when I was swerving side to side quickly.

I also had springs installed, and that helped the handling, in regular driving, a lot. But i think the maxima looks good stock, unlike our v6 accord before springs...lol

So in a Maxima, does a FSTB or a RSB help in regular driving?
Old 04-14-2001, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FSTB + RSB help?

Yes.

Old 04-14-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: FSTB + RSB help?

Originally posted by clee130
Yes.

Roger that!
Old 04-14-2001, 03:24 PM

Re: Re: FSTB + RSB help?

i've heard that the RSB is useless in the 5th gen ... it was tested on speedvision on the motorola cup Max ... no noticeable improvement with the rsb on ...

Originally posted by y2kse

Roger that!
Old 04-14-2001, 03:48 PM
Got Bent?

The FSTB will noticeably improve the steering response and front end stability. On the Accord it probably does not make a huge difference, because if you look at the strut towers, they are already bolted to the frame of the car with a metal bar on each strut tower.
Old 04-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Got Bent?

Re: Re: Re: FSTB + RSB help?

Originally posted by ohboiya
i've heard that the RSB is useless in the 5th gen ... it was tested on speedvision on the motorola cup Max ... no noticeable improvement with the rsb on ...

You mean RSTB right?

RSTB = Rear Strut Tower Brace - not very noticeable
RSB = Rear Sway Bars - big improvement
Old 04-14-2001, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: FSTB + RSB help?

no .. I actually did mean the RSB ...

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

You mean RSTB right?

RSTB = Rear Strut Tower Brace - not very noticeable
RSB = Rear Sway Bars - big improvement
Old 04-14-2001, 04:17 PM

RSB I heard is so good that the owner felt the car was oversteering because of the amount of grip at the back. RSTB I think is not that great because it sacrifice a very little amount of luggage space........It's very hard to install too.....

The FSTB should be good, it makes the car feel more solid during a turn. Unless you take corners at average speed, you will NOT notice much difference as on your Accord.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FSTB + RSB help?

RSB is very noticeable and very much worth it.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I still have to get used to the fact that with my RSB and FSTB on, I make turns a lot quicker now. Last night, I went to McD's and bought a SuperSized meal. The huge soda was too big for the cupholder and so I held the soda in place on my lap.

I was also reaching in the bag and picking at the fries. Not the most safest way to drive, I know, but I was hungry.

I had to make a left turn and pulled the wheel left and was reaching into the bag at the same time. I actually turned more than 90 degrees and was headed towards a car parked on the opposite side. I quickly reached up and pulled to the right to correct my mistake.

But with the two combined, it feels like my steering has improved a lot. And I feel a lot planted. On the way to and from school, I travel on a highway that's not usually crowded and has these long sweeping curves. Before the FSTB/RSB, I felt so unsafe making those turns at 65+ speeds. Now... it's smooooooth sailing.

Originally posted by LoveSick
RSB I heard is so good that the owner felt the car was oversteering because of the amount of grip at the back. RSTB I think is not that great because it sacrifice a very little amount of luggage space........It's very hard to install too.....

The FSTB should be good, it makes the car feel more solid during a turn. Unless you take corners at average speed, you will NOT notice much difference as on your Accord.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:35 PM

geee, I think I MUST get RSB and FSTB! Maybe if I have some cash, I will get the the RSTB just for the sake of being peftect!

The problem is I need to find some that ships to Canada!
Old 04-14-2001, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah I must say that the rsb is very much worth it. After the install a definite noticible difference. GET IT!!
Old 04-14-2001, 05:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FSTB + RSB help?

IMHO, that's wrong. There is a VERY noticeable difference with the RSB. I have both the FSTB and the RSB installed at different times. The FSTB made a good deal of difference with handling and the RSB went even further. I have almost no body roll at all in tight turns. The RSB is very worth it.
Old 04-14-2001, 05:36 PM

I love this board!!!

Well, when I get my Maxima(if i don't get the altima), i'm definately getting the FSTB and RSB.

Man, i just posted this a few hours ago, and look how many responses already. Never take a good board for granted....like i think it's honda-acura.net that has went to crap.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:04 PM

hey lovesick ...

where in Canada r u?

geee, I think I MUST get RSB and FSTB! Maybe if I have some cash, I will get the the RSTB just for the sake of being peftect!

The problem is I need to find some that ships to Canada!
Old 04-14-2001, 06:22 PM

Wouldn't the RSTB be completely useless in the Maxima? I thought that the 'Multi-Link Suspension' setup links the two struts already. I know that the question is about the FSTB and RSB, but the RSTB was mentioned, so I figured I would satisfy my curiousity.
Old 04-14-2001, 06:27 PM

I think I read somewhere that although it's not completely useless, it helps very, very, very little. So little in fact, that it's just not worth it.

Originally posted by medicsonic
Wouldn't the RSTB be completely useless in the Maxima? I thought that the 'Multi-Link Suspension' setup links the two struts already. I know that the question is about the FSTB and RSB, but the RSTB was mentioned, so I figured I would satisfy my curiousity.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:02 PM

Re: hey lovesick ...

where in Canada r u?

oh, I live in B.C.

Very hard to find Maxima parts!
Old 04-15-2001, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by Mugen13
I also had springs installed, and that helped the handling, in regular driving, a lot. But i think the maxima looks good stock, unlike our v6 accord before springs...lol
IMHO, the wheel gap in the Max is huge! Changing to performance springs will definitely help the handling as well as the looks. Have fun with all your toys.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:15 AM

Re: Re: hey lovesick ...

oh, I live in B.C.

Very hard to find Maxima parts!

There are several vendors here on the forum that ship out of the U.S.

I'd recommend the RSB first, then the FSTB if you're looking for handling improvements. On the Maxima, the FSTB will make more of a difference in strengthening the front chassis and reducing cowl shake. There's a slight performance increase by making the front end feel more responsive during quick/tight lane changes. The RSB reduces understeer making the rear end feel more responsive.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by clee130
I think I read somewhere that although it's not completely useless, it helps very, very, very little. So little in fact, that it's just not worth it.

Which is such incredible ***-ness because I put it in mine and it sucked. SOOO hard to do.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:28 AM

big diff

Not to just be a parrot here, but I want to say the FSTB and RSB made a big difference on my i30, especially with the Nitto's on there..