5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My poor car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 06:16 PM

Left work early today to play some golf. As I'm approaching my car, my jaw drops. Some as@hole hit the side of my car above the driver's side rear tire. No note, no nothing, except for a big frickin dent and scruff marks. I'm soo ticked!!! My comprehensive, with a $100 deductible, should cover it.. but I'm still worried about the quality of the repair. Anyone else have any minor body work done on their 5th gen?
Old 04-13-2001, 06:44 PM
Got Bent?

Man, that really sucks . I haven't had any body work done, but if your insurance is going to cover it, then take it to a Nissan dealer that has a body shop. They will probably use OEM parts if needed. But, if is only a dent, then perhaps they can knock the dent out and the rebuff the area to make it as good as new.....
Old 04-13-2001, 08:30 PM

Close

Originally posted by Max 1109
Left work early today to play some golf. As I'm approaching my car, my jaw drops. Some as@hole hit the side of my car above the driver's side rear tire. No note, no nothing, except for a big frickin dent and scruff marks. I'm soo ticked!!! My comprehensive, with a $100 deductible, should cover it.. but I'm still worried about the quality of the repair. Anyone else have any minor body work done on their 5th gen?
I know this is not the exact answer you are asking for but it is close. My wife backed into my other car with my fourth gen max SE before I sold it. The repair shop (located at the local nissan dealer) did such a great job on the repair, I could not tell the damage ever existed.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:36 PM

Close

I know this is not the exact answer you are asking for but it is close. My wife backed into my other car with my fourth gen. max SE before I sold it. The repair shop (located at the local nissan dealer) did such a great job on the repair, I could not tell the damage ever existed. Also there may be a paintless dent removal shop in your town. I also had a incident like yours happen to me,(also in my fourth gen.), when someone left a huge dent in my door. The shop called "Dent Wizard" removed it for $98.00 + Tax. Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:15 AM

Sorry to hear about it man, bad few days for robberys and crashes and other incidents
Old 04-14-2001, 11:00 AM

Hope this helps give you an idea...

i've been quoted $600 for this by a local (reputable) body shop... Since the guy knows my father, he'll do it for $300... (again, reputation here is key... i've seen this guy at work, and he's really meticulous about doing the job right.. And in order to get this particular dent/scrath out the right way, you have to strip/sand, hammer out, and re-paint that entire section... so it's a bit on the costly side )

I wouldn't cash in on your insurance unless it's REALLY expensive... it's not worth it... especially if you risk taking a premium hit when it comes time to renew.. Besides, I dunno if your gonna have such an easy time getting your insurance to cover it without a police report... (I believe my insurance provider requires a police report, even for comprehensive claims)

-Tom Z.

PS... it actually looks a lot worse in person (than on the picture)... there is a little dent in there as well, which isn't 100% apparent from the picture... Interesting story as to how it(the dent) got there. But i'm not gonna humor you guys since it's at least partially my fault, and I feel like a fool...
Old 04-15-2001, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by tomz17
Hope this helps give you an idea...

i've been quoted $600 for this by a local (reputable) body shop... Since the guy knows my father, he'll do it for $300... (again, reputation here is key... i've seen this guy at work, and he's really meticulous about doing the job right.. And in order to get this particular dent/scrath out the right way, you have to strip/sand, hammer out, and re-paint that entire section... so it's a bit on the costly side )

I wouldn't cash in on your insurance unless it's REALLY expensive... it's not worth it... especially if you risk taking a premium hit when it comes time to renew.. Besides, I dunno if your gonna have such an easy time getting your insurance to cover it without a police report... (I believe my insurance provider requires a police report, even for comprehensive claims)

-Tom Z.

PS... it actually looks a lot worse in person (than on the picture)... there is a little dent in there as well, which isn't 100% apparent from the picture... Interesting story as to how it(the dent) got there. But i'm not gonna humor you guys since it's at least partially my fault, and I feel like a fool...
It looks like we have a lot in common. My car isn't scratched as bad though. You might be correct about the insurance. It happened on Good Friday, so of course my insurance office is closed. Tomorrow I'll call.. my premium shouldn't go up since I am not at fault, but I might have to waste more time on this by filing an accident report w/police... hopefully not.
Old 04-15-2001, 09:11 AM

Ya.. but here's the thing... if there's a dent, it comes out to the same amount of work..

From what I understand, if you can't just buff it, you're gonna need to strip/sand, and re-paint that entire section in order to make it completely disappear... So the amount of scratches doesn't really make that much of a difference.. (ie.. i could take a key now, scratch up the entire section, and it wouldn't matter when i go to get it fixed)... the dent just adds to the fact, that they have to bang it out as well...

-Tom

PS.. this happened a while back, i just waited until after winter to get it fixed... Still waiting for a few consecutive days off from school/work, so that I can take it down to the bodyshop..

Best of luck..

It looks like we have a lot in common. My car isn't scratched as bad though. You might be correct about the insurance. It happened on Good Friday, so of course my insurance office is closed. Tomorrow I'll call.. my premium shouldn't go up since I am not at fault, but I might have to waste more time on this by filing an accident report w/police... hopefully not.