5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clear Bra Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clear Bra Recommendations

Hi All -

I was shopping around for a clear bra, only to find that it could cost me anywhere from $500 to $1200 to protect the car depending on what peices you want to purchase. I really only want to protect the areas most vulnerable to chips and scratches.

What parts of the car do all of you recommend protecting?
Old 10-29-2004, 08:21 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

All you really need is hood, bumper, and side mirrors. That should cost you few hundred and you can install them yourself.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:23 AM

Thanks Ammi. What are you thoughts on protecting the wheel wells and rear bumper?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

You don't need to do anything for wheel well. Factory plastic cover does a good job of keeping water and other crap flying into your engine bay.

Rear bumper hardly ever gets scratched so no need for clear bra.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I just have the small hood piece. Sure has helped a lot. Cost about $70 and was easy to install. If I was going to get the front bumper piece, I'd have a pro install it. It's huge and from what I've heard from some org members is that it's difficult to install.

Someone (maybe housecor) cut it in half to make the inatallation less difficult.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
I just have the small hood piece. Sure has helped a lot. Cost about $70 and was easy to install. If I was going to get the front bumper piece, I'd have a pro install it. It's huge and from what I've heard from some org members is that it's difficult to install.

Someone (maybe housecor) cut it in half to make the inatallation less difficult.
I found out the hard way. Bumper piece was a major pain in the ****. Ended up cutting into multiple pieces. Butchered that job. Same thing w/ rear view mirror. Hood was easy though.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:46 PM

I got mine installed for 600 and change. It covered the front bumber, hood and side mirrors...looks great and I haven't had a chip or a scratch yet.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 AM

I got the xpel kit "professionally" installed. Stupid ******* installer didn't have a clue what he was doing when he installed it. The xpel kit is smaller than the components it covers. Therefore there is a 1/8 to 1/4 gap all the way around. The kit does not prevent all projectiles from scratching the paint. I have several items that went right through the protection and scratched the paint underneath. I put my on with less than 500 miles on the car. And although I have some complaints here and there, they don't compare to how well this product has held up and saved my front end from looking like road rash. BTW, the kit is almost invisible and I have numerous chips on the hood above the clear bra.

What inspired me to do this was a org member in NY that got the kit installed. He was present during the install and took pics. The shop that did his used custom pieces that wrapped the entire bumper cover. The install was completely invisible. His car did have the same line on the hood but his went up 18" from the front. His side mirrors were wrapped and pulled tight and cut where the paint meets the plastic. It was one of the best installations I have ever seen. His install cost $250 MORE than mine though (~$600).
Old 11-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey i found this on ebay. maybe it will help you out. Looks alot cheaper than the one your getting at the dealer.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7922889643&catego ry=50457
Old 11-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
I got the xpel kit "professionally" installed. Stupid ******* installer didn't have a clue what he was doing when he installed it. The xpel kit is smaller than the components it covers. Therefore there is a 1/8 to 1/4 gap all the way around. The kit does not prevent all projectiles from scratching the paint. I have several items that went right through the protection and scratched the paint underneath. I put my on with less than 500 miles on the car. And although I have some complaints here and there, they don't compare to how well this product has held up and saved my front end from looking like road rash. BTW, the kit is almost invisible and I have numerous chips on the hood above the clear bra.

What inspired me to do this was a org member in NY that got the kit installed. He was present during the install and took pics. The shop that did his used custom pieces that wrapped the entire bumper cover. The install was completely invisible. His car did have the same line on the hood but his went up 18" from the front. His side mirrors were wrapped and pulled tight and cut where the paint meets the plastic. It was one of the best installations I have ever seen. His install cost $250 MORE than mine though (~$600).
Lumbee,
I agree with you in regards to the protection. Yes, it does protect well, but if a rock is coming at the car at high speed and you're going 55+ miles per hour, then that film isn't going to do crap. I love my clear bra but just had an accident so the body shop will put on another bra once they get the front end back on. The guy who put mine on charged me around $500-$600 but I had the bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors done. Here's what I didn't like. Everything was in one piece and still had room to tuck the clear bra into wherever it was needed. No short pieces here. BUT... since I had an extra piece of trim (put on the dealer by mistake) on the bumper, the bumper bra was 'custom' installed. They had to CUT the pieces ON THE BUMPER WITH A RAZOR! It was invisible and it was the bumper.. at first I didn't care but know what..its a bumper. It will get ruined sooner or later.

So if you get this professionally installed and they have to put in any custom pieces..ask if they will razor your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just my .02

Andy
Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by Ammi
Rear bumper hardly ever gets scratched so no need for clear bra.
I think he may have a scratch on his rear bumper...