5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

do those viper alarm systems decrease the chances of getting the HID's stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 07:44 PM
TL5

do those viper alarm systems decrease the chances of getting the HID's stolen?

??????????????
Old 10-30-2004, 07:48 PM
XGaSpAcHo

exactly which system are you talking about? i don't think any system can prevent the HID's from being stolen but if you get one of those alarms that pages you when something is broken you can possibly get to your car before they actualy make off with the lights.

Old 10-30-2004, 07:52 PM
TL5

any of those aftermarket lcd alarm systems/pagers

id imagine they help scare away the thiefs...
Old 10-30-2004, 08:33 PM
XGaSpAcHo

yeah if you get a backup speaker and a backup battery and even then i highly doubt it. how many times have you heard a car alarm outside and not even bothered to go to the window to see what was going on?

Old 10-30-2004, 09:20 PM
retired moderator

alarms are a joke. "Professional" theives can disable any alarm....I went to school with a girl who installed alarms at Circuit City or something and then they would go break into the very cars they installed stuff into, since they knew the addresses from the store....she said (and frankly, I believed her) that she could basically break into any car and be gone with the head unit in under a minute (btw, this was not a friend of mine, just someone who lived in our dorm)......alarms may scare off the local juvi who wants to steal your stuff, but they will not deter a pro....

As to the HIDs, the guys stealing them take like 10 seconds to bust them out with a crowbar or whatever....they are gonna be long gone by the time you can get out there.

And like XGa...said, nobody pays attention to alarms anyways. A guy in my neighborhood has a G35 with an ultra-sensitive alarm that goes off every time a helicopter flies over, trash truck drives by, or one of the (many) local Hondas with fart cans on the back drives by. I think most of the neighborhood wishes someone would actually STEAL his car so his damn alarm wasn't going off 2 times ever night...and nobody ever goes out to check on the car when the alarm's going off, not even the guy who owns it!
Old 10-30-2004, 09:29 PM
XGaSpAcHo

i feel so important -- irish refered to me in his post

the only thing i can suggest about the HIDs is to use common sense when leaving your car at night or in a parking lot. i had someone try to steal my lights when i was parked about 150 feet away from an entrance into a mall. what i do is back into all parking spots that way the lights are facing into the aisle and it takes more ball$ than the regular low life to try to steal them when you're doing it in plain view. second i try to park on one of the higher floors in a parking garage. IMO thieves would rather go for the cars on the lower levels so they can just steal them and run without having to go down flights of stairs.

Old 10-30-2004, 09:31 PM
TL5

well damn

i was just about ready to buy the HIDs from those performance depot people on ebay

but after hearing all these theft stories, it might not be worth the risk...

Old 10-30-2004, 09:32 PM
TL5

well, if you drive down to philly a lot
then they will prob get stolen no matter where the car is parked
Old 10-30-2004, 09:36 PM

Like Irish said, nothing going to stop a determined theif. If they want it, they'll get it. Alarms are exactly that...a deterrent. It helps, but won't solve the problem.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:40 PM
XGaSpAcHo

i've been to philly once. about a year and a half ago with my gf. doesn't look like the safest neighborhood (no offense). but hey, what are you gonna do? if you can, i'd spend the extra money to garage the car.

what year is your max?

Old 10-30-2004, 09:50 PM
TL5

2k1 se

i dont live in philly

but i do go down there often
Old 10-30-2004, 09:59 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by TL5
2k1 se

i dont live in philly

but i do go down there often
then just be mindful of where you park it. it might be worth it to pay extra for a lot with an attendant. IMO just keep your 2k1 headlights and save yourself the headache and worrying. ever since somebody tried to steal my lights i worry about my car everytime i leave it parker somewhere. if you do get any alarm installed make sure it's from a place you trust. just like irish mentioned, i've also heard stories about the guys at the install shop making a copy of the key and then stealing the car right of the guy's driveway.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
TL5

true but i really want HIDs

the only reason im interested in the 2k2-3 headlights is because i want to add the
DDE's

or else i'd just buy a hid kit and keep my 2k1 headlights but those DDE's look irresistible
Old 10-31-2004, 05:19 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Simple save your money or sleep in your car... that way chances r they might not get stolen... But wait.. if you are sleeping in your car...... hummmm 95% they will get stolen.. by the time you open the door and get out... they will be gone... that's how fast those as$%^^&hole do it... so don't waste your money on HID's.... I like the way it looks in the car..but $$$ talks and bullS!it walks....