5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question - STILLEN RACE PIPE 95-01 MAXIMA - MILD STEEL

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 12:00 PM

Question - STILLEN RACE PIPE 95-01 MAXIMA - MILD STEEL

I have a 2000 Maxima and was wondering about this part. I was just wondering if this is legal or not for a daily driver car, cause this messege pops up when I click "Purchase".

"OFF-ROAD USE PRODUCT
LEGAL NOTICE!
The product you are purchasing is intended for:

OFF-ROAD USE ONLY

This part is designed for racing purposes only. Use of this part on the street or highway is a violation of federal law in the United States. We sell this part on the condition that it be used in a legal manner.

Note: This product may not be purchased unless these terms are agreed to."

So, any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 12:15 PM
VQ Wizard

Don't waste your money on Stealin products.

www.warpspeedperformance.com

www.cattman.com
Old 11-06-2004, 02:24 PM

Haha, alright, thanks for the info man.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the Stillen design is very good. The collector on the Stillen pipe is the best of them all in my opinion. Cattman is the best made, as far as materials used and manufacturing process, and will last the longest, but the Stillen pipe is less expensive and should last a good while too. In my opinion Stillen is the best value and I suspect would probably be the best performer on a dyno all things equal due to the collector design (I've owned and used both the Stillen and the new Cattman pipes on my old 2K1 5-speed). Also, it seems Stillen recently upgraded their design - the pipe shape is straighter from front to back and retains the great collector.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaHunty
This part is designed for racing purposes only. Use of this part on the street or highway is a violation of federal law in the United States.
Is it legal to take off your precats with a Stillen,Cattman, or any aftermarket
high performance Y-pipe.........NO!!!! Do we still do it.........YES!!!! You'll still have the main cat in place, so you will pass smog (as long as the tech doesn't notice the Y-pipe, which is very unlikely) if you warm up your car before testing.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by turbo_gg
Is it legal to take off your precats with a Stillen,Cattman, or any aftermarket
high performance Y-pipe.........NO!!!! Do we still do it.........YES!!!! You'll still have the main cat in place, so you will pass smog (as long as the tech doesn't notice the Y-pipe, which is very unlikely) if you warm up your car before testing.
and when we mean warm up, we mean full operating temperature after 10-15 miles of driving (this is in my case, but this is dependent on the weather and how long your engine takes to warm up) and NOT 5 mins of driving from your house to the gas station...

The pre-cats work when the car/main cat isn't fully warmed up yet so if ya remove those, ya need to give the main cat sufficient time to get fully functional in order to be emissions legal... and remember, its always better to be safe about this, so its better to drive around longer before ya bring it in...