5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stock 2002 SE Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stock 2002 SE Suspension...

Hey guys,

I remember reading in a few threads that one of the first things you should do is trash the stock suspension if you have an SE. I've noticed that the ride is a bit stiff in my car, but the real problem is that I feel EVERY SINGLE little crevice in the pavement, it just vibrates the entire car. I know my tires are balanced b/c I just got new ones and had that done, and b/c I the road at low speeds too.

Is this something that others have experienced with the stock SE suspension? If so, what is a fairly inexpensive way to replace it? I don't race my car or anything, just drive around my friends and I'm on the highway a bit, so I really like a smooth, comfortable ride. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Z

Sounds your struts are blown if you're feeling everything on the road.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:15 AM

It depends on what your game plan is. Are you going to lower your car? If so, go with the softer springs (H&R), cause it sounds like you want a smooth,soft ride, and these lowering springs would be one of your best choices. However, if you are not planning on lowering your car, then just get some Tokico Illumina shocks (they are adjustable), and dial them in to 1 or 2 and you'll have a smooth,soft ride (keeping the stock SE springs). If that is still to harsh for you, then you should consider switching your springs for some stock GLE springs, get the Illuminas, and that will definitely be a softer than you have now.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:19 AM

Yeah, I had no intentions of lowering it. I suppose a not-so-drastic lowering wouldn't be too bad. I'm really just looking for a smooth, comfortable ride and something that won't break the bank.

I should note that it has 49k miles on it, so I wouldn't think the struts would be shot, right???
Old 11-08-2004, 11:27 AM

I guess this is turning into another thread on suspension set-up....

Check out http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html for more info on aftermarket struts/springs... that's what I used when I was looking for mine...

Anyways, back to your original question... my stock SE suspension was extremely smooth and actually felt soft... I also barely felt minor bumps on the road... so like Arnold already said... one of your struts is blown or something in the assembly has come loose....
Old 11-20-2004, 08:08 PM

reviving this thread

alright, I'm reviving this thread instead of starting a new one....

I guess it might be true about the strut being shot b/c it doesn't seem like the suspension was designed to be as stiff as mine is, b/c I really feel every little thing now. I thought maybe the balance was off on the tires, but I just got new tires and had 'em all balanced and it's doing it regardless, plus it's not as much of a vibrating (which would be caused by off balanced wheels) as it is feeling every single nook and cranny in the pavement....it's just really annoying.

How can I tell if a strut is blown? (sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times)
Old 11-20-2004, 08:12 PM

my guess is you just dont like how the suspention is on the SE. Maybe its just the way it is and after a little bit you begin to notice it a lot more than you used to? Or has your suspention gotten worse? Um, you could probly get more mushy springs and nice shocks?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:39 PM

What brand of tires did you get? Was your ride this harsh before switching to new tires? If not, I suggest you bring the car back to the shop to get them rebalance. I had a similar situation recently when I changed 4-new tires. I brought it back to the shop to rebalance since I noticed vibration on the steering wheel at highway speed. The shop rebalance the wheels again and also told me that one of my wheel was bended. I checked out the wheel that was supposed to be bended but I see nothing from the outside to indicate so. To summarize the story, the technician told me that when you go over a deep pothole, the wheel can get warped from the inside. Anyhow, they switched it to the rear but I still notice the vibration on the steering wheel compare to the old tires set I had before.

Perhaps the new tires from 215/55/16 to 225/50/16 change the dynamic of the overal ride? Or maybe the new tires I have now are better in performance (V-rated BFgoodrich TA vs H-rated Turanza LS-H) therefore the ride suffers by it? Anyway, I love how my car handle but there seem to be more noise pollution from the steering wheel than I had accustomed to.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:51 PM

The tires I got are Continental Conti-Extremes. They have a slightly smaller sidewall (215 instead of 225) but they were rated well for comfort and people here on the forum liked them.

As far as I recall, the ride was the same way before the tire-change. I should note that I only got the new tires on the front. The back tires are not Potenzas (or whatever they're called)....they are some Komo (is this even a brand?) or something that had a lot of tread left.

I really don't think it's the tires.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 AM

Unfortunately, the SE does use stiffer springs and shocks. If it's really bad that actually shaking the car when you hit a small patch of a pot hole that jarring the car, then there's something wrong with your struts. I know mine is stiff but it handles well without actually shaking the car. The only way you'll know if your struts are shot, you should go each corner of your car and push it down, it bounce once and return to it's normal setting, then it's fine. If it bounce more than once then your struts are bad. Other sign is if your car is swaying, feeling like it's rocking sideways when you're cruising on freeway, that's another sign struts are going bad.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:32 AM

change you shocks.......stock units are to soft for the springs causing an underdampened ride quality........