5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Volume Cut valve, or New ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Volume Cut valve, or New ECU?

Hi, i recently bought a 2000 maxima GLE used with 47k miles.
I am somewhat of a newbie driver, so since day 1 i started pushing on the gas like crazy, car runs pretty darn fast, is so fun.
But after 2 weeks of purchase i got a SES light. I thought what the hell.....i just got it.......So i took it to my local nissan dealer and they told me the volume cut valve (whatever the hell that is) was bad, actually only 1 of the 6.
So, i paid $360 to fix this, i had no choice, since they wanted 90 bucks for just inspecting my car........i mean plugging in a cable to the ecu costs 90 bucks? what the hell is this world coming to? By the way my car came with no remote alarm, so i asked the dealer if they could program and sell me one, they asked for 100 bucks on the remote and 50 to program it. I had no money at the time so i didn't get it. Later on that night i bought one on ebay for 12 bucks and it came with instructions on how to program. This was the first message telling me not to ever go to a dealer for repairs/service.

Anywayz after 2 weeks of this repair, my SES light came on again.
so i took the car to the dealer and told them to give me warranty on what they did.
They gave me an answer 2 days after: " Sir, we regret to inform you that your ECU needs to be replaced, there seems nothing wrong with the volume cut valve we previously replaced, oh and by the way, the ECU will cost $800 PLUS labor"
i was so pissed i just plaid the 90 bucks for the inspection and took it to a local shop.
What they told me was astonishing. They told me the volume cut valve was the problem. He even lifted the car and showed me, there were like five-six of them, he told me the dealer DID replace 1 of the valves, but told me he wasn't sure if the right one was replaced, he suggested replacing them ALL, for 100 bucks each (a lot cheaper than the dealer) to make sure it nevers happens again. But he also told me that i won't have any problems driving the car, just a poor gas mileage.

Now.....who do i have to trust? Pay 900 to dealer or 600 to local shop?
And if the local shop is right, what can i do to these bastard liars at the dealership?

I would like to apologize if i'm posting this in the wrong place, but please understand i am new to these forums.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I thought they were pulling your leg or you were pulling mine, but...

...there is such a thing as a Evap Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve, which uses an on/off duty to control the flow rate of fuel vapor from the Evap Cansiter. However, this is what is located on the front of your intake manifold in the engine bay where the VIAS solenoid is located and there is ONLY one. Not it.

Underneath the car in the rear on the drivers' side, there are Evap Emission Canister Vent Control Valves, which are located on the Evap canister to seal the vent and responds to the ECU to open. I believe this is what your mechanice was showing you and the Stealer replaced one of, since there are THREE. However, there is also an Evap Control System Pressure Sensor, so that makes FOUR possibilities, but the error codes are different.

Anyways, yes one of the THREE valves could be rusted and need replaced or the ONE pressure sensor could be bad. However, this could also be as simple as a loose/broken gas cap.

Do you know what the code(s) were? P0P0446, P0447, P0448, P0450, P0455, etc...

Also, how many miles, since this *MIGHT* be covered under the 8yr/80K miles Emissions Warranty depending on your state(check Owners' Manual)?