5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 high beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2k2 high beams

I have a 2k2 max and am looking into buying an 8000K conversion kit for the high beams but am not sure if they will work with them. If anybody knows what i should do, i could use some help.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:35 PM
A swift Bimmer driver

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
I have a 2k2 max and am looking into buying an 8000K conversion kit for the high beams but am not sure if they will work with them. If anybody knows what i should do, i could use some help.
8000k high beams? whoa man! I've never seen anyone with them
I have 8000k on the low beams and fog lights on my '02 Max
Old 11-13-2004, 07:47 PM

well what would you suggest me using for the high beams, because i've gone through two types of bulbs and cannot find any to appear like the true xenon bulbs, so i was planning on getting a conversion kit, but i am concerned that it will not work with just the high beams.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if you get a HID kit with 9005 rebased bulbs it would work, but why would you wanna drop $3-500 on an hid kit for your high beams??? Doesnt seem worth it to me but whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:00 PM

How do your phillips crystal vision bulbs work scmaxima2k? because both types of bulbs ive purchased in the past have been so dim that i couldnt even tell the highs were switched on, and i cant find any bulbs to remotely match the stock HIDs
Old 11-13-2004, 08:12 PM

How do your phillips crystal vision bulbs work scmaxima2k? because both types of bulbs ive purchased in the past have been so dim that i couldnt even tell the highs were switched on, and i cant find any bulbs to remotely match the stock HIDs

Its just a whiter bulb, doesnt really have much color to it as far as I can tell, performs the same as a regular halogen bulb, just whiter, kinda like the silverstars. I just threw them in cuz I got em cheap.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:14 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I had my Max for over 2 years, and never needed the high beams. The stock Hids seem to do a good enough job, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:16 PM

my stock hids seem to be really dim, or at least they have a real short range. maybe they need to be adjusted? but i live out in the country with curvy roads and deer, so i use my highs every chance i get as i do a lot of night driving, and i am really not satisfied with the stock highs, call me picky, lol.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

humm, so when you drive you just leave the highs on all the time?? or just when you hit curvy roads....then after those are over turn them off, then on again when another comes.... etc. etc. because if you turn them on and off, its not gonna be a good idea, your HIDs will have to charge up, and off, then on....i could only imagine that it gonna kill your ballast. But anyways i cant see why HIDs wouldnt work for highs.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 PM

great point maxima112, i guess im just stuck, im gonna try to find some PIAA 7500Ks for the 9005s then, cuz i cant find anything else that will work. Im really glad u said that before i went off and spent 300 bucks on a conversion kit! haha...wow im dumb. thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:25 PM

turning hid's on/off alot is not good for the ballasts....they tend to aim the left headlight lower so it does not blind oncoming traffic...you can adjust them by spinning the white screw/bolt whatever it is behind the headlight.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:27 AM

great point maxima112, i guess im just stuck, im gonna try to find some PIAA 7500Ks for the 9005s then, cuz i cant find anything else that will work. Im really glad u said that before i went off and spent 300 bucks on a conversion kit! haha...wow im dumb. thanks for the help!

So are you looking for bulbs that are going to perform or are you looking for bulbs just to match your HIDs. You say you do alot of country driving and use your highs alot, so that means you want a performing bulb. A colored bulb isnt gonna be the best choice then since you will lose lumens. If its performance you are looking for, a regular halogen bulb is probably the best bet. If you are looking for looks, then a 7500k or whatever kelvin halogen bulb will give you the looks you want, but you will most likely end up losing output so they will seem dim? In my opinion you need to figure out what you want more, if its performance or looks. Also, what does it matter if the high beam color matches the low beams? Its not like you drive around all the time with highs and lows on so everyone can see that they match??? I guess if you want looks and performance get a HID kit, but its gonna be expensive, and like everyone else said, on and off isnt good for ballasts. I dunno.....
Old 11-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
So are you looking for bulbs that are going to perform or are you looking for bulbs just to match your HIDs. You say you do alot of country driving and use your highs alot, so that means you want a performing bulb. A colored bulb isnt gonna be the best choice then since you will lose lumens. If its performance you are looking for, a regular halogen bulb is probably the best bet. If you are looking for looks, then a 7500k or whatever kelvin halogen bulb will give you the looks you want, but you will most likely end up losing output so they will seem dim? In my opinion you need to figure out what you want more, if its performance or looks. Also, what does it matter if the high beam color matches the low beams? Its not like you drive around all the time with highs and lows on so everyone can see that they match??? I guess if you want looks and performance get a HID kit, but its gonna be expensive, and like everyone else said, on and off isnt good for ballasts. I dunno.....

Yeah if you want performance, those Ion Yellow bulbs may be a good choice for you. other than that maybe you should try a harness that gives direct power to your bulbs, allowing you to get more wattage output
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763
the only that i could think of in terms of somethin bad is that with that higher output it may melt your headlight. BUT if you only plan to use them: ON then OFF then ON, off etc etc. that problem may not occur. I remember one person using somethin like this before, but that was awhile ago. you may want to ask around and see if anyone has tried this.