5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear bumper

Ok, Saturday my fiancee and I were driving to her house in two separate cars and I got a little bit ahead of her in traffic (for some odd reason she didn't change lanes with me and got caught in a slower lane) We were about 1/2 mile apart when she called and told me she had been rear-ended.

I feared the worst... but when I got there it wasn't all that bad. She had been tapped (more so than "rear-ended") and it was an F150. His front two hook pierced her rear bumper. It's not a *HUGE* deal and I'm not so worried about fixing it right away because there's nothing that'd rust or anything. However, I would like to get quotes and get an idea on pricing so that I can go after the guy that rear-ended her. I sort of worked it out with him on the side of the road that he'd take care of the bill because he didn't want to get in trouble with his boss. I know it's a chance I'm taking but I spent enough time there evaluating the guy and it seems like he'll follow through. And if not, it's only the cost of the bumper.

Anyone have any idea what's involved with swapping it out? Probably just a few clips? I'm going to get under the car tomorrow to get a better look. It's just the bumper cover I assume. Also, any idea on prices for a new one? Or maybe in a junkyard or something?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:20 PM

Glad no one was hurt in the accident.

When I had to get a my bumper replaced (due to also being rear-ended) my shop, in Brooklyn, said it had a helluva time trying to find a used OEM bumper for an 02-03. He called like 15 different parts guys and finally found one. In my case, I went used since I knew the dealer would have charged a fortune for an OEM bumper. Maybe you'll have better luck finding used parts in Jersey? But def. get under the car and check all around. My total repair bill was $1500 (bumper, paint job, and some repair work on the bumper support).

Good luck. Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maximalex
Glad no one was hurt in the accident.

When I had to get a my bumper replaced (due to also being rear-ended) my shop, in Brooklyn, said it had a helluva time trying to find a used OEM bumper for an 02-03. He called like 15 different parts guys and finally found one. In my case, I went used since I knew the dealer would have charged a fortune for an OEM bumper. Maybe you'll have better luck finding used parts in Jersey? But def. get under the car and check all around. My total repair bill was $1500 (bumper, paint job, and some repair work on the bumper support).

Good luck. Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.
D@mn! I'm getting a new bumber, windshield, metal work on my hood, my fender painted, my driver's side HID housing replaced, my pillar repaired, my door repaired (at the pillar), my engine cover painted, my grill painted, and, basically, the front half of the car repainted for just shy of 4k. My insurance may be getting a discount though... In case you were wondering: flat-bed truck parked on my hood last Monday. I gotta look at the bright side: new paint and windshield! Best part: it's not Nissan paint!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM

Try car-parts.com great site for used parts one of the places may even have one your color.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:47 PM

Just hope that guy doesn't screw. Now there's no police report and no witnesses. It's only your word against his.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:29 PM

this is a bit but can anyone tell me approximately how much it will cost to rid the front and rear bumper of all the chippings and nicks in the paint?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by kieranlavin
Ok, Saturday my fiancee and I were driving to her house in two separate cars and I got a little bit ahead of her in traffic (for some odd reason she didn't change lanes with me and got caught in a slower lane) We were about 1/2 mile apart when she called and told me she had been rear-ended.

I feared the worst... but when I got there it wasn't all that bad. She had been tapped (more so than "rear-ended") and it was an F150. His front two hook pierced her rear bumper. It's not a *HUGE* deal and I'm not so worried about fixing it right away because there's nothing that'd rust or anything. However, I would like to get quotes and get an idea on pricing so that I can go after the guy that rear-ended her. I sort of worked it out with him on the side of the road that he'd take care of the bill because he didn't want to get in trouble with his boss. I know it's a chance I'm taking but I spent enough time there evaluating the guy and it seems like he'll follow through. And if not, it's only the cost of the bumper.

Anyone have any idea what's involved with swapping it out? Probably just a few clips? I'm going to get under the car tomorrow to get a better look. It's just the bumper cover I assume. Also, any idea on prices for a new one? Or maybe in a junkyard or something?
If you can wait 'til tomorrow, I can hook you up with an estimate when I get to work. Sight unseen, it sounds like at the least you'd have to replace the rear bumper cover and absorber. I would guess approximately $800-$900. Does your trunk open and close properly? And does the gaps that run on the top and side of the trunk line up properly? Just checking to see if there's any damage to the rear body panel as well. Shoot me your e-mail adress, and I'll e-mail you a copy of a "preliminary" estimate if you'd like. This is of course for "local" prices out here in Hawaii! Let me know.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Try car-parts.com great site for used parts one of the places may even have one your color.
Yup, already been there First place I looked and they have a white one (perfect) for $350. I want to get a few other estimates and stuff (hopefully somewhere around $500 which is what he seemed to be agreeable to be paying) and I'll buy the bumper myself and install it myself. Personally, the damage is SO minor that I'm almost willing to live with it as-is. It's a 3" or so indentation in the bumper that pokes through on the other side a little.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
Just hope that guy doesn't screw. Now there's no police report and no witnesses. It's only your word against his.
Well, my construction company does business with his. So I have a means of getting back if I have to. I've got his boss's name and number and the name of the business. There's no police report and no witnesses but my fiancee's insurance has a record that something happened as she called it in. I didn't want to go through the deductible and then get hit with stupid surcharges from the crooked insurance companies Yes, I'm taking a chance based on my gut feeling of this guy. Hopefully my feelings are right and he helps me out. Worst comes to worse, I'm out a couple hundred dollars for taking that chance
Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by BRAN808
If you can wait 'til tomorrow, I can hook you up with an estimate when I get to work. Sight unseen, it sounds like at the least you'd have to replace the rear bumper cover and absorber. I would guess approximately $800-$900. Does your trunk open and close properly? And does the gaps that run on the top and side of the trunk line up properly? Just checking to see if there's any damage to the rear body panel as well. Shoot me your e-mail adress, and I'll e-mail you a copy of a "preliminary" estimate if you'd like. This is of course for "local" prices out here in Hawaii! Let me know.
I don't even think there's anything wrong with the absorber. It was in heavy traffic moving at 0-5MPH and it was just the tow hook that more or less pierced the bumper because it's a bit sharper than the blunt bumper. I'll know better when my fiancee gets back from school and I can get under and have a better look. I looked at it on the side of the highway and didn't see anything out of place. I also checked the gaps from the bumper to the body to see if they were skewed as I've been rear-ended in my car before and the gaps increased (one time on each side so they're even and look like they're supposed to be that way It all seems to be in place and everything and the only damage seems (to me) to be cosmetic. We're bringing it later to a shop for their opinion. We'll see and I'll keep everyone posted...
Old 11-17-2004, 05:44 AM

I don't even think there's anything wrong with the absorber...
OOps, forgot... my e-mail is kieran@kieranlavin.com

Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 10:07 AM

I got hit from behind last Aug with basically the same results. Bumper replacement etc. was estimated at about $800. The guy who hit me apologized, gave me all his imformation, then told his Ins. Co. that he never hit me, and only gave me all the info. so he could get back on his way. Because there were no wittnesses in my car or otherwise, and because there was no a police report, his Ins. Co. sidded with him, refused to pay, and closed the claim. It's now in arbitration, but my Ins. says they will probably get nothing.

It's amazing that these scumbags can get away with this stuff. My only recourse will be small claims court, but I have no idea how that would go.

Anyone have any experience in this court?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 AM

I don't even think there's anything wrong with the absorber. It was in heavy traffic moving at 0-5MPH and it was just the tow hook that more or less pierced the bumper because it's a bit sharper than the blunt bumper. I'll know better when my fiancee gets back from school and I can get under and have a better look. I looked at it on the side of the highway and didn't see anything out of place. I also checked the gaps from the bumper to the body to see if they were skewed as I've been rear-ended in my car before and the gaps increased (one time on each side so they're even and look like they're supposed to be that way It all seems to be in place and everything and the only damage seems (to me) to be cosmetic. We're bringing it later to a shop for their opinion. We'll see and I'll keep everyone posted...
The only reason I say that it sounds like the absorber needs to be replaced is because anytime a bumper is pierced, ( meaning something actually broke the surface of the plastic bumper) then usually the absorber goes. Unless, it was hit really low. The absorber sits directly behind the bumper cover and if something went through, it went into the absorber....well, if it was hit on the face portion. Being that the absorber is a safety device, if there's ANY damage to it, it needs to be replaced. I e-mailed you an estimate for the cost of the damages. Obviously there are differences in what each shop charges and what each insurance company pays. Keep in mind that prices for parts are " Hawaiian " prices! Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you got any questions. Thanks, Bran.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Skier
I got hit from behind last Aug with basically the same results. Bumper replacement etc. was estimated at about $800. The guy who hit me apologized, gave me all his imformation, then told his Ins. Co. that he never hit me, and only gave me all the info. so he could get back on his way. Because there were no wittnesses in my car or otherwise, and because there was no a police report, his Ins. Co. sidded with him, refused to pay, and closed the claim. It's now in arbitration, but my Ins. says they will probably get nothing.

It's amazing that these scumbags can get away with this stuff. My only recourse will be small claims court, but I have no idea how that would go.

Anyone have any experience in this court?
That sucks. People who can't own up their own mistake really **** me off.

How come no one called the cops? Always do 3 things when involved in an accident: 1) get other driver's info, 2) call the cops. And have the cops fill out an accident report, run the other guy's license (never know, could be a wanted criminal), and if they can have them issue any tickets, e.g. expired registration, no insurance, open container of alcohol, and 3) call paramedics - if needed.

Without that police report and other supporting evidence, it's basically your word against his. And his insurance company will always take his side since it's the cheaper option (vs paying you). Was this on a freeway or local street? I'd say on a highway/freeway you can make a case he was tailgating you. On a local street, there's more excuses to explain the accident.

Sorry, no court experience. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to take it to court between the laywers, fees, and general time wasted. How about having a lawyer write a threatening letter? Or since you have his info, you can make his car blow up like in the Godfather.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:30 AM

Yup, already been there First place I looked and they have a white one (perfect) for $350. I want to get a few other estimates and stuff (hopefully somewhere around $500 which is what he seemed to be agreeable to be paying) and I'll buy the bumper myself and install it myself. Personally, the damage is SO minor that I'm almost willing to live with it as-is. It's a 3" or so indentation in the bumper that pokes through on the other side a little.
Wow, you're a nice guy! I wouldn't even consider installing the part yourself since the accident wasn't your fault. And looking for a used bumper.....and the guy seems willing to pay $500....You're being too nice. I'm a stand-up guy myself, and don't believe in juicing people for all that they've got. But, I would never take the chance deminishing value on my car because of somebody else's mistake. I know accident's happen, but you shouldn't be on the losing end. Just my .02. We need more NICE guys like you!
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM

I had my rear bumper cover replaced about 7 months ago. My wife was kind enough to back my maxima into a post. Luckily it was only a small dent about the size of a grapefruit, but it bothered the hell out of me having it there. New bumper cover, paint and installation was 550.00. The shop said it could be repaired, but the cost was about 475.00, figured I might as well spend the extra and just get a new bumper cover.