5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Mods (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New Mods (long)

This last month was busy for me. I got few moods and wanted to share with the org.
My 5 speeds tranny crapped out on me and decided to go with Anniversary Edition tranny with LSD. After babying it for first 1k miles and drive harder this weekend and what a difference. Torque steer is almost non compare to my old tranny. Wheel hop it almost gone. very nice mod. I know 2k 5 speeds have problems. If yours goes like mine, don't rebuild it. Just get an Anniversary tranny from David B. It was $300 over rebuild, but you're getting a new better tranny.
For being an org member for so long and not having a Y-pipe wasn't very common. I was waiting for stock to rust and finally it did. I got a Warpspeed Y-pipe and 2.5" custom cat-back with Magnaflow Muffler. No problem with fitment issues with Y-pipe. But, car is SOOO loud now. I'm going to get a 22" Magnaflow resonator and stock muffler. Biggest surprise was the weight difference of stock and WSP Y-pipes. I bet stock is 3 times heavier. Didn't have a scale to check. Car is feel much faster. Very good Mod and $160 for y-pipe is a good deal.
I also got new tire. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and they lasted my over 60k (surprisingly). Middle belt was the one to go the fasters. Weird, because I always run tired at 33psi, meaning outside edges should go faster. I was reading others reviews and most of the other owners experience the same middle belt premature wear. I liked this tire a lot when they were new. but year after they go noisier, started to screech in turns and slip on take off when rained. I decided to get Continental ContiExtremeContacts. They are 50% price of Michelins and so far I like they a lot. Much more comfortable and quiet. They are great in dry and wet and have good snow rating. Which is important for me. (I live is Chicago). Good tires.
Finally, I change my brake pads. I had Axxis pads and I likes them. I had to get new pads and wanted to try something else. After reading good thinks about Reybestos, I got them installed on all for. They stop great, but little louder than Axxis. Still good pads.
I installed all by myself or was involved in the process (cat back). so if you have questions I'll be glad to answer.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice... hope ya have fun with it all.... I have a y-pipe I'm waiting to install.... haven't had any time recently....
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 AM

good stuff nikal, have you done a dyno test at all?

puppet... u paint those calipers yet?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I had for torch the bolf to get them loose because they were rusted.
Too bad for Michigan, out of all Big Ten teams i like them most after Penn State.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NikaL
Yeah, I had for torch the bolf to get them loose because they were rusted.
Too bad for Michigan, out of all Big Ten teams i like them most after Penn State.
Yes, too bad indeed, I'm still bummed... the Rose Bowl is a nice consolation though...

NYAuto, no, I've not painted the calipers or grille.... or installed my y-pipe... too busy with school.... I'm actually not gonna paint my calipers red... maybe black... now I have a red G2 paint kit going to waste.... oh well....
Old 11-22-2004, 08:03 AM

same here... same here, im gonna try n return mine for a black or silver
Old 11-22-2004, 08:13 AM

no dyno for yet. I have to get a new resonator and we'll do afterwords
Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 AM

cool... how long did it take you to install the y-pipe, did someone help you, or you did it yourself?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:27 AM

I took me and my friend about an hour. Mostly uninstalling the stock Y-pipe. ww put lots or WD-40 and finnaly torched the bolts to take the off. You'll need an impact gun.