5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

underdrive pullys??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:02 PM

underdrive pullys??

alright i dont know much about udp's...for the ppl who have one...is it worth getting?..any difference in hp?..how about install...is it a diy?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
6yrs old=36,500 miles :)

It's not that bad to install..take off the rt front tire and then the fender well and there it is..then loosen up the belt..just have a breaker bar w/ you to get it off...it doesn't add horsepower,it frees it up buy having that lighter pulley..as far as noticable gains, well you will have to dyno it and see but i could guess maybe you will free up ?3-5hp?. Some people may say differently though. Happy Modding!!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 PM

I have dont alittle research on this and the fed back that I have gotten in no more than 8 hp that is added over the entire power band and from what i can see there is no noticible gain.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by harmbone2k2
...it doesn't add horsepower,it frees it up buy having that lighter pulley..as far as noticable gains, well you will have to dyno it and see but i could guess maybe you will free up ?3-5hp?. Some people may say differently though. Happy Modding!!
Yeah... like he said.... from what I've heard... its best used in tandem with other mods like an intake and headers/y-pipe for maximum (but still little) gains. All debatable... so have an open mind...
Old 11-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Does the Max have a harmonic balancer on the OEM pullley ? im pretty sure UPP doesnt have one on thiers.

(My pasted car was a Altima and I had the UPP pulley without a harmonic balancer.)

Has any Maxima have any problems with this or is an issue? Just curious before I start going modd crazy. thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 12:02 AM

The udp releases about 5-10 hp depending on the company, and the weight of the udp. Also expect quicker revs to the redline. I have DMS one, I thinks the weight is 1.24 pounds or so. And no, aftermarket udp don't have harmonic balancer's.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ghase
And no, aftermarket udp don't have harmonic balancer's.
Right I was pretty sure that UPP doesnt have one but I guess My acutally Question was.. We had very Big discussion at the alty board about harmonic balancer and how it might cause damage to the crank..

Has the Maximas onwers or tunners ever occur this problem or have they brought this up as in issue or is it pretty much safe?

I was running a UPP afterwards boosting the KA24DE(T) even tho they said the underdrive pulley wasnt nesscary for a boosted car. I still manage to use it.

So I guess my Question is has this ever been an issue with the VQ motors?
I just like to know what im getting into since the VQ is a new motor for me.Since Ive been tearing and building the KAs for the past 10 years. Thanks
Old 11-30-2004, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by PRO - 1
Right I was pretty sure that UPP doesnt have one but I guess My acutally Question was.. We had very Big discussion at the alty board about harmonic balancer and how it might cause damage to the crank..

Has the Maximas onwers or tunners ever occur this problem or have they brought this up as in issue or is it pretty much safe?

I was running a UPP afterwards boosting the KA24DE(T) even tho they said the underdrive pulley wasnt nesscary for a boosted car. I still manage to use it.

So I guess my Question is has this ever been an issue with the VQ motors?
I just like to know what im getting into since the VQ is a new motor for me.Since Ive been tearing and building the KAs for the past 10 years. Thanks
Oh?? Sorry about that. Anyway, out of the 5 years of being on the org., I never herd of anyone with that problem. But some people have said that the timing ring that's on the pulley itself can loosen, and cause alot of damage. That will be only for the vq30 peolpe. The 3.5 motor doesn't have a timing ring, so no problem there.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:03 AM

whats lighter or a better underdrive pulley dms or Unorthodox?? and whats Dms Stand forr again??
Old 11-30-2004, 05:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I added a UR UDP pulley about 6-7 months ago. No issues and the most noticeable improvement in my situation is no more drag on the engine when the the A/C is on and the compressor kicks on/off. So during the hot and muggy Florida summer where the A/C is a must, the butt dyno tells me it frees up about 5-7 ponnies. But I do agree that it is better used it conjunction with other mods.

Pedro
Old 11-30-2004, 09:12 AM

I have one and I would say that there is a noticeable difference on the low end. I think they are a perfect add on with an intake were this is alittle low end hp loss.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ghase
Oh?? Sorry about that. Anyway, out of the 5 years of being on the org., I never herd of anyone with that problem. But some people have said that the timing ring that's on the pulley itself can loosen, and cause alot of damage. That will be only for the vq30 peolpe. The 3.5 motor doesn't have a timing ring, so no problem there.
Cool thats what I was kinda of looking for. you 3.5ers got it good huh?
anyways I guess Imma go with a underdrive pulley from Pro-1 Top Speed instead of the pricey UPP ..Arospeed also now makes a pulley for the maxis
Im a authorized dealer for Both Top Speed Pro-1 and Arospeed.
Altho I guess I will be the gunia pig for those pulleys.

Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
I added a UR UDP pulley about 6-7 months ago. No issues and the most noticeable improvement in my situation is no more drag on the engine when the the A/C is on and the compressor kicks on/off. So during the hot and muggy Florida summer where the A/C is a must, the butt dyno tells me it frees up about 5-7 ponnies. But I do agree that it is better used it conjunction with other mods.

Pedro
Hey what part of Fl are you from?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tampa, Florida. Sunny and 79 degrees today.

Pedro
Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 PM

if i install one, will it void my warrenty?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
if i install one, will it void my warrenty?
Not unless it causes fault or damage to something else.... even then, you can always switch it out back to stock before taking it to the dealership.... at least this is what I think...