5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AutoXing a Maxima...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 06:05 PM

If you haven't done it... do it for the experience, otherwise, find a better car.
First thing's first...my maxima:
2000 GXE - 5 speed
-Floor mats being the ONLY option (no sunroof, no bigger rims, no fog lamps, no rear deck spoiler, etc)
-Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs
-Stillen Y-pipe
-Cheap aftermarket straight through 2.5" muffler
-18x7.5" Advanti Racing "Katana/Speed" rims with toyo tires

This should give you an idea of the course length and compare cars abilities and average times.
Fastest time of a full bodied car was a 84.xxx secs, which belonged to an mkiii Rx-7 and an 85.xxx secs to a MR2 Turbo (7th place overall in AS at Topeka). The fastest time overall belonged to a F125 Go-Kart by National Champion Dave Hironaka (my neighbor also) which was 80.xxxsecs. The slowest time was 110.xxxsecs. The fastest F-Body (not the best driver) did a 98.3xx Sec run. The average time, would be an estimated 96.xxx-97.xxx sec. My time was a 98.6xx sec run, clean. I was running in DSP-DD (Daily Driver, regional class for street-tired cars).

Impressions, Hardships, etc:
Boy does that speed-sensitive steering suck ***. The course had a 7 cone slalom which ended in a hard right, into another hard right, into a tight chicane. This is where the speed sensitive steering can be really felt. As I approached the chicane and each of the turns the steering was very responsive and able to be pointed in the direction I was hoping the car would follow, as I got on the gas (ever so slowly, definitely the worse car to try to get immediately back into the gas) the steering got loose and required more steering effort (my biggest gripe about this car, in terms of racing). The body roll was pretty minimal, from within the car and people watching my runs didn't see any. The car feels extremely heavy. Definitely a far cry from the CRX I'm used to racing. I did well for the vehicle...I could of done better if I had better tires (squealed for days) but it still handled like a family sedan. It went through the slalom like a champ but, the sharp turns really hurt it. I think if I added a rear lower strut brace would help the understeer that occured in the sharper turns. The front strut brace would induce too much understeer, even if it helps the steering response.
Hopefully (buying a CRX in the next week), I won't have to AutoX my Maxima again, fun and all, but...too much effort to drive fast.

I suggest racing it once so you know how it handles in an emergency lane change and such, plus it's always a buttload of fun!
Old 10-02-2000, 06:41 AM

Hey, I've got a CRX I'll sell you, lots of new parts, runs great, $600! Someone take it off my hands.

My maxima don't handle like no family sedan, course that's cuz of the coilovers... I think the maxima can be very competative, last race Blade99SE whupped up on modified neons and preludes for 2nd place in STS. Me and him are going to have some good races as soon as I get some better tires But I think the maxima can be made very competative and lots of fun to drive. Plus I'm wierd... You go out with a crx, that's no biggie, it's easy to win with a CRX. Myself, I like the look on the people's face when my big *** family sedan goes out there and beats all the hondas
Old 10-04-2000, 07:30 PM

I'm sure the coilovers aren't doing much better than the eibach springs. The fact that I would have come in first place in STS in a group of 12 is ok. In DSP (the class i ran in) sucks... Yeah,I was having fun beating the modified Z28s and the Porsches (Porsche club was out there) in a big maxima, but, I want to beat EVERYONE and doing it in a Maxima is not gonna happen. I love the car to death! It's the second best car i've ever owned (First would be a Supra)...but, if I slide the CRX into a pole or into another car (in club racing), i'm not gonna be without transportation...that's why i rather race a CRX. Plus, i have every imaginable suspension piece for the CRX from my other CRX i crashed...
Old 10-04-2000, 08:05 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you're racing on 18s?! wow. more the power to you, but you might want to goto a wider and shorter rim set.

if you have money, te37 volk racing rims with kuhmo slicks are great for the track.

where you located? a lot of us so cal guys go track racing at Buttonwillow every so often, the last time was this past weekend..

coilovers are best for suspension on the track, but if you want to get rid of some understeer, get the stillen rear sway bar...
Old 10-04-2000, 08:18 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

you're racing on 18s?! wow. more the power to you, but you might want to goto a wider and shorter rim set.

if you have money, te37 volk racing rims with kuhmo slicks are great for the track.

where you located? a lot of us so cal guys go track racing at Buttonwillow every so often, the last time was this past weekend..

coilovers are best for suspension on the track, but if you want to get rid of some understeer, get the stillen rear sway bar...
Old 10-05-2000, 08:54 PM

I don't race the maxima on a regular basis. The past weekend will be the one and only time...The CRX is being fixed up to do that duty.