5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Do any of you have rattles after Y-Pipe install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do any of you have rattles after Y-Pipe install?

I just had my Y-pipe installed, and the rattles are VERY loud. I did place spacers under the bars that protect the catback, so that is not hitting anything, and then i thought it was my muffler tip hitting my rear valance, so i put spacers on that... but it is still making a very loud rattle!! what gives? did any of you have this issue when you installed your y-pipe?

it only happens when i shift, or i am launching. any ideas guys?
Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Mine has never rattled but I remember reading something about putting spacers b/t the crossmember and the ypipe. That should take care of the rattling on take off's.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Which y-pipe did u put on. WSP has this problem.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:23 PM
VW = 30 MPG

I did, right where the shifter is.
I have an older Cattman Y
I just used a 5 inch pipe clamp around the pipe and where the factory hanger on the car is (the Y pipe didn't have the hanger).
Now no problems even at WOT
Old 12-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine was hitting on part of the frame near the front of the car. I just used a hammer and bent the edge a bit. I Have the cattman Y pipe and it was doing at lauch just like yours.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:23 PM
scopium

its hitting the cross member..
u can just remove that.. i've had it removed for almost a year and no problems

Old 12-04-2004, 04:25 PM

My rattles were very minor. I solved mine by messing with the position of the hanger on the B-Pipe and Y_pipe in the hanger (rubber piece) attached to the car. By repositioning one inside the other, it worked. I probably didn't explain that very well, but basically, it was a matter of just messing with it until it didn't rattle any more. Others have recommended getting new hangers from Napa or Autozone (they are supposedly stiffer). Good luck.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by crispykid717
Mine has never rattled but I remember reading something about putting spacers b/t the crossmember and the ypipe. That should take care of the rattling on take off's.

Man, did you read my post? I have already put spacers on....
Old 12-04-2004, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Which y-pipe did u put on. WSP has this problem.

yes, I do have a WSP Y-Pipe.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
its hitting the cross member..
u can just remove that.. i've had it removed for almost a year and no problems

The cross member is the black bar with 4 bolts holding it in place right? If so, it is surely not hitting that. I bent it flat, and put tons of spacers... no way it could touch.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by DonGfun
I did, right where the shifter is.
I have an older Cattman Y
I just used a 5 inch pipe clamp around the pipe and where the factory hanger on the car is (the Y pipe didn't have the hanger).
Now no problems even at WOT

My y-pipe has a hanger, and it bolts up fine. the whole catback is perfect now... has tons of moving around room. i guess it just leaves the y-pipe it's self as the issue. i suppose i have to go take another look to see if i can see anything that is hitting. the noise is so freaking loud... almost sounds like i am grinding gears every time i hit a bump, or shift and whatnot. this stinks.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:07 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Mine didn't look like it was hitting anything
i'm telling ya put that clamp on and don't let it move.
I feel it in the floor but no noise ... i was dealing wit it for a year!!!
Now it rocks!!!! No noise
Before my friends used to say it sounded like my car was falling apart!!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:24 PM

Mine didn't look like it was hitting anything
i'm telling ya put that clamp on and don't let it move.
I feel it in the floor but no noise ... i was dealing wit it for a year!!!
Now it rocks!!!! No noise
Before my friends used to say it sounded like my car was falling apart!!!!

do you have any pics so i can get a better idea of what to do? how about putting some type of padding in there that is heat resistant? this is so annoying... i just want it to work... I am not a happy customer.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:55 PM
VW = 30 MPG

ya its like 30 out ... i'm sorry im not going out, crawing under my car to take a pic ... sorry (if I had a house wit a Garage I would have a G35)

I put the clamp around the Y pipe and around the car's factory hanger for the Y pipe
Don
Old 12-04-2004, 08:11 PM

ya its like 30 out ... i'm sorry im not going out, crawing under my car to take a pic ... sorry (if I had a house wit a Garage I would have a G35)

I put the clamp around the Y pipe and around the car's factory hanger for the Y pipe
Don

Ok, thats cool... It is 35 out over here as well. but just so i understand...

The hanger... do you mean the black rubber part? And when you say clamp... what kind of clamp? And do I put it vertical, or horizontal? I can't visualize this for the life of me on how this will work... sorry.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:14 PM
imported_JIC_A33

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=359797

no

Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I miss the .org!

Yes, this happens to most people with WSP Y pipes...
Old 12-04-2004, 09:13 PM
VW = 30 MPG

right where the 2 pipes come together on the Y pipe should be where the cars hanger placement is.
get rid of the rubber and wrap the 4-6" pipe clamp around the pipe and on to the metal factory thing that the rubber hanger goes on ... yours is a 02 it might be different .. i'll try and take a pic tomorrow ok
Old 12-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Initially, mine was not hitting the black cross brace, but the rear brace instead. Adding tons of washers did not resolve the issue. The last couple of months have been a lot worse in the aspect that any form of engine torque would cause the exhaust to rattle/grind. Due to this reason, I had the WSP y-pipe removed the other day. No rattles, No grinding = happy.

What I noticed when comparing the factory to WSP y-pipes is that the factory flex section is longer and a whole lot more flexible. You can shake it and the flex section will wiggle. The WSP flex section is shorter and very stiff. When putting a load on the engine, the engine rotates forward which pushes the exhaust back and down. With the factory Y-pipe, the flex section bends without transferring the downward force to the rest of the exhaust. With the WSP, when the engine torques, the Y-pipe transfers this to the exhaust which causes the pipes to be pushed down and into the rear crossbrace. The WSP Y-pipe also seems to hang .5-.75" lower than the factory y-pipe.

I may call WSP about this and talk with Dallas. Doubt it will do any good.

edit: Actually, the engine rotates to the right, which is towards the rear of the vehicle, causing the pipe to go down further which results in the grinding. I must not have been thinking it through when I typed the above.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Audtatious
Initially, mine was not hitting the black cross brace, but the rear brace instead. Adding tons of washers did not resolve the issue. The last couple of months have been a lot worse in the aspect that any form of engine torque would cause the exhaust to rattle/grind. Due to this reason, I had the WSP y-pipe removed the other day. No rattles, No grinding = happy.

What I noticed when comparing the factory to WSP y-pipes is that the factory flex section is longer and a whole lot more flexible. You can shake it and the flex section will wiggle. The WSP flex section is shorter and very stiff. When putting a load on the engine, the engine rotates forward which pushes the exhaust back and down. With the factory Y-pipe, the flex section bends without transferring the downward force to the rest of the exhaust. With the WSP, when the engine torques, the Y-pipe transfers this to the exhaust which causes the pipes to be pushed down and into the rear crossbrace. The WSP Y-pipe also seems to hang .5-.75" lower than the factory y-pipe.

I may call WSP about this and talk with Dallas. Doubt it will do any good.
I have, and will, post about this until I am blue in the face. Dallas blew me off when I sent him pictures of the poor setup and stop responding to emails. I had to put a crush in my b-pipe because I could not get it to fit. The Y-pipe is TERRIBLE and he has no idea what he is doing. I would not recommend anybody buy ANYTHING from dallas. Until us members who have been screwed get together he will not do anything. I have thought about going back to stock but it would cost too much money. Good luck and if you are interested in starting a petition type of thread pm me.

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 08:41 AM

I am organizing a thread concerning warpspeed products and I would like you to post on it. SEVERAL of us have been sold y-pipes that don't fit unless you compromise the integrity of the car by removing the crossmember. All I ask is people are honest and just post what has gone wrong/how they felt/what Dallas did to fix it or what he didn't do.

Thread Link
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=359900

Thanks,

Mark
Old 12-05-2004, 08:51 AM
drag racing is for wussies

It would be nice if Cattman was the same way (improve their ypipes), 3 Ypipes later, 6 flex pipes later, I have decided to make my own Ypipe out of the 3 broke ones with no flex section. Each Cattman Ypipe hit the metal cross member brace right around the cat. One Cattman Ypipe broke the little hanger right OFF the pipe and left me a NICE hole in the pipe that leaked like a SOB. I'm talking bout the hanger that is right around the sway bar right before the flex pipe. I'm so glad I don't have any Ypipes on my car anymore.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:26 AM

intresting... I never knew about this problem with this Y-pipe. If i had, I would never bought it. It baffles me on how they could make such a **** poor prouduct. I am taking my car back to the shop tomorrow... any more idea's on how to stop this? it feels/sounds like my car is 20 yrs old and is ready to die on me. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:48 PM
VW = 30 MPG

I just took Pic

Old 12-06-2004, 05:49 PM
VW = 30 MPG

Old 12-06-2004, 08:54 PM

hmmm, well first off, thanks for the pic! but you car is set up much diffrently then mine. atleast it is from what i remember. i will try out the hose clamp tomorrow, and see how it works out. I will keep you guys posted, and thanks again for the pic