5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mods you regret...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I miss the .org!

Regrets:

1.) Throwing my money away and giving it to that b!tch Dallas at Warpspeed. The b-pipe was a P.O.S. and not as advertised, so I returned it at my shipping expense and a restocking fee. The Y-pipe I still have, and it still sucks ****.

2.) Not getting coilovers to begin with. Ordered D2's in the last GD...can't wait...
Old 12-06-2004, 05:58 PM

Injen Intake- Was not so much as a "waste of money" it did nothing performance wise. It may have robbed me of 5hp if anything lol felt a little sluggish with it, but it sounded sweet, so basically all it is was sound
Old 12-06-2004, 06:22 PM

Mine was the cheap @ss ebay FSTB, what a piece of junk. Busted my finger all up while puttin it in, it didnt do sht for handling performance and it gets on the way of doing anything on the engine.......gone!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Got Projectors?

Worst mod...when I jumped on the bandwagon about a year and a half ago when the Tein S-Tech spring fad swept over the org. Had em paired with KYB GR-2s. Worst mod ever. I took those suckers off pretty quick, and went nearly another year before losing the stock suspension setup for what I have now.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:36 PM

1. I regret cleaning my TB....it's been f|_|cked up for more than 6 months now.

2. Soldering my window switch LEDs too many times and messing up the driver's control. I heated it up too long.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:21 PM

i regret............................... BUYING A MAXIMA....
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Bigger than Jesus

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
redline cf hood - it looks good from a distance but was easily the cheapest piece of junk i have ever bought, and like 03BlkSETE said, a sorry cf hood will make your car look much worse and cheap ( and thats not why we spend money is it ? , lol !) finally i got tired of being cursed out and put down so i took it off and put the stock hood back on. WOW ! im back to a very nice looking max.
I had the Redline CF hood on for like 3 days. Biggest piece of **** I ever put on my car. Fitment was absolute garbage. It always looked like it was going to fly off even going 30mph around town. I didn't dare go on the freeway.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:26 PM

Hey polska, it's russka what's up with your tb?? I cleaned mine like 2 months ago and it seems to be fine.... what did you do to make it f-up?

BTW: DAVEB said it's like $600 for a new one...
Old 12-06-2004, 10:39 PM
drag racing is for wussies

ACT clutch- 2nd one that has failed on me now- crappy pressure plates
E-bay short throw shifter that made downshifts almost impossible- hard to find 3rd when trying to do a 5th to 3rd downshift !
Leaking/condensating Ebay clear sides
CustomMaxima test pipe that cracked 3 times
Cattman Ypipe that I ended up repleacing 3 times
CustomMaxima CF hood that was really fibreglass - VIS rocks now.
Koni Yellows that tend to blow out every winter- 4th set on the front now.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 PM

my crappy ebay FSTB.. sucks crap.. about to throw it out for soemthing else
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Juice - I'm also debating about removing my upper JMS grille. I liked it when I first installed it, but a year later, its kinda getting old and looks a bit ricey.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:32 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Regreting that I should have purchased a supercharger or turbo when I had the money.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:04 AM

SEmy2K2go - take the grill off you will be happy, and maybe even paint your stock grill to match the body color...thats a nice look as well
Old 12-07-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Wow, how old were you at the time?
Old enough to have known better. While they actually looked pretty good, I was still perpetrating something I didnt have.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:10 AM

Using white lithium grease in my window's track to get them moving up and down a bit faster. Now I have this film that I have to scrub off everyday and everytime I put my windows down and back up again. It's slowly coming off.

The other thing I regret is the vb mod. I was the first 2k2 to get it and I kinda liked it at first but now it gets annoying when I drive through parking lots. I just wish someone else got it done and posted comments first. Other than that everything has worked out and in a couple weeks I'll be clearing my HIDs and putting new tails in (the red paint ran down my other ones).
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by zourtney
has anyone swapped their red tail lights for the smoked ones? I think they might look nice on the black car. Oh, and if they aren't as bright as the stock tail lights, forget it. I want nice, not rice.

EDIT - I guess i mean the SE tails, like BLKMAX005SPD's
yes people have done it. GLE/GXE tail lights are fugly. DIY with this site http://www.kevinfisher.net/web_serve...light-mod.html
Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I must say that I have been pleased with my mods so far. I have the WS Y & B issues but I took off all the brackets that were banging with no problem so far. The great thing about this forum is that I get to hear, see and avoid problems that other people have ran into. I mod my car very methodically. I had the mod bug bad when I first got the car but that has subsided over time, I realized after the newness wore off that I needed to keep this car for a long time so I'd better not fu@k it up with some silly mod. There have been some very helpful mods here and I look forward to many more.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tac_M
Hey polska, it's russka what's up with your tb?? I cleaned mine like 2 months ago and it seems to be fine.... what did you do to make it f-up?

BTW: DAVEB said it's like $600 for a new one...
I cleaned it and moved the butterfly....evidentaly you can't do that and so now I have a high idle.....there's an SES light and it throws an "idle speed control system" code.

Went to the dealer long time ago...they did nothing yet kept my car for 2 days and blamed my foglight rewire....I still need to see another dealer.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattattax
Using white lithium grease in my window's track to get them moving up and down a bit faster. Now I have this film that I have to scrub off everyday and everytime I put my windows down and back up again. It's slowly coming off.

The other thing I regret is the vb mod. I was the first 2k2 to get it and I kinda liked it at first but now it gets annoying when I drive through parking lots. I just wish someone else got it done and posted comments first. Other than that everything has worked out and in a couple weeks I'll be clearing my HIDs and putting new tails in (the red paint ran down my other ones).

So tell me about your VB mod. I have really been wanting this and I have been hearing so much about "It can prolong tranny life." If you dont mind, please elaborate on why you feel the way you do about the vb mod. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I cleaned it and moved the butterfly....evidentaly you can't do that and so now I have a high idle.....there's an SES light and it throws an "idle speed control system" code.
I did the same thing and wish I would have known that before I cleaned mine. I just reset the ECU and it seems to be running fine.

The mod I regret is the custom paint job I did to my front bumper when I tagged a concrete support beam in my parking deck. Whoops, the Max does not have the same turning radius as my old car.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
I did the same thing and wish I would have known that before I cleaned mine. I just reset the ECU and it seems to be running fine.

The mod I regret is the custom paint job I did to my front bumper when I tagged a concrete support beam in my parking deck. Whoops, the Max does not have the same turning radius as my old car.
I've reset my ECU at least 100 times and it has not gone back to normal....I've done all the procedures at least that many times.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

1. Maxspeed springs on Stock struts...what a mess. Switched to Cattman moddified AGX with Sprints and I'm pretty happy.

2. WSP Y-Pipe, CM Str8 Pipe, and Greddy Catback. I will never have my car be that loud unless I'm boosted. Never again. Back to a stock setup and only have my Berk intake....VERY happy.

3. PaceSetter STS...by far the worst mod in the world. Shifting was like lifting weights...way too much effort. Went with the B&M STS 2 months ago. Car shifts like a dream now.....best decision ever.

I was so close to getting the Redline CF hood. I actually got into a fender bender on my way to pick it up. Maybe that was a good thing =/
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM

my biggest regret is my not waiting a year or two and getting a 3.5 litre 6-speed. but other than that it would be my neons. the switch on the inside looks like sh*t. im embarrassed to post pics.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:33 AM

1. Injen and frankencar intake. Quiet is now a must for me.
2. MT lip. I wasnt willing to do whole bodykit and just lip imho appears half done.
3. Tein Stechs and KybGr2s. The bounce and overall harshness on rough terrain (loved the look though).
4. Eclipse flip out. Some theiving MFs stole it. Now I am afraid to reinstall because it could happen again(best thing I had done to car)
Old 12-07-2004, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by HotMax03
So tell me about your VB mod. I have really been wanting this and I have been hearing so much about "It can prolong tranny life." If you dont mind, please elaborate on why you feel the way you do about the vb mod. Thanks in advance.

At first it was cool bc at higher rpm shifts it's great. Very fast and smooth. But when roaming through a parking lot at 5-10 miles per hour it shifts a little harder than I would like it to. IMHO it's not the best mod unless you drive fast all the time.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:10 PM

Mine would be eveything I got from Stillen, y-pipe, muffler and intake. I was just so anxious to mod I did not do any research. I could have saved alot of money. but I must say every thing did fit like it should.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Getting the A/T instead of the M/T. I know it's not a mod, but it's my only regret.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:18 PM

No regrets so far in terms of mods... but sometimes I do wonder if I should have gotten a car with more "bolt-on capability" in terms of potential, for example, a WRX... don't get me wrong... I love my Max and its 3.5 V6 and I'd love to maybe see it around 250+ whp N/A one day... but I can't help it when I'm seeing WRXs around me that are like 300 awhp with less than $1000 in bolt-on mods...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:08 PM

crispykid717 - I love your CF Hood remarks bolol!

Mine is the WS y-pipe. Fitiment issues and even after the O2 simulator to rid myself of the CEL it still seems to be a loss of power. F'-me! I will say the COSMO racing CAI turned out to be great. I did swap the filter for the fake me out NISMO filter on ebay but there was a gain felt in the butt dyno. Their piping was just as nice as the INJEN I had on my WRX.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:15 PM

Grille Tech grille. When looking at the car from directly in front, it looks like there is no grille at all. It's worse at night. Painted stock grille and put it back in and it looks MUCH better.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM

berk intake - took away my low end, and I need it in the city. Dont get me wrong, its a good intake, just not for me.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
I've reset my ECU at least 100 times and it has not gone back to normal....I've done all the procedures at least that many times.
Just like me your throttle body will need to be replaced. Why haven't you gone to a different dealer since the last one said they're going to void the warrenty since you rewired your fogs.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 PM

The thing about my car I regret most, which isnt really a mod, was getting an automatic..... pi$$es me off everyday...

Past mods that I regret were the stillen stickers, the headlight black outs, and going with 45% tint the first time I had it tinted instead of darker, now ive got 35% on it and still kinda wish i went even darker.....
Old 12-07-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
The thing about my car I regret most, which isnt really a mod, was getting an automatic..... pi$$es me off everyday...

Past mods that I regret were the stillen stickers, the headlight black outs, and going with 45% tint the first time I had it tinted instead of darker, now ive got 35% on it and still kinda wish i went even darker.....
whats wrong with the blacked out headlights? i like em
Old 12-07-2004, 11:10 PM

I don't know, I just got my 2k2 GLE today Black on Black AUTO though.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by steaLthyMax
whats wrong with the blacked out headlights? i like em

I didn't mean my painted black housings, I love my black housings, I mean't those black plastic headlight covers ......
Old 12-07-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
I didn't mean my painted black housings, I love my black housings, I mean't those black plastic headlight covers ......
oh yeah i agree..black housings look
Old 12-08-2004, 05:24 AM
Bandwagon Lover

1. Eibach without aftermarket struts. Sure, it was better than stock, but hitting big dips in the road made the back end slap down. In a way, I'm glad tho because I have Illuminas and they rock!

2. WSP Y-pipe. Finally removed it. No hope at all it seems of keeping that thing from slapping, regardless.

3. My rims, which have the spokes sticking out too far. Tire shops have scraped them and my fiance curbed one within 1 week of purchase.

4. RVM UDP because I have not installed it in over a year. Mine does have the copper collar on it, so it should be leak free it/when I finally do put it on.

5. Sumitomo HTR+ tires. Two flats in 1 year and slippery as hell after 15k miles. Waste of time and money.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by mattattax
At first it was cool bc at higher rpm shifts it's great. Very fast and smooth. But when roaming through a parking lot at 5-10 miles per hour it shifts a little harder than I would like it to. IMHO it's not the best mod unless you drive fast all the time.

Oh so the VB mod shifts like that always huh. So do you think the Drop Resistor mod would be even better considering it only works at WOT? Thanks for your input on this!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
Getting the A/T instead of the M/T. I know it's not a mod, but it's my only regret.

Same here!!!

Quick Reply: Mods you regret...