5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Adding heated front seats - information

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 06:24 PM

Some have asked about adding heated front seats to non-Meridian package Max owners....

I have leather interior, which includes the power seats, blah, blah. I do NOT have side airbags nor heated seats. I want to add heated front seats.

While I was replacing my auto shift **** some time ago, I noticed two "spare" plugs in the center console sitting empty. I telephoned David Burnette at South Point Nissan and he ordered me up a driver's side heated seat switch. I received the switch.

The idea was to plug the switch into the empty plug and the seats start warming up. I had previously noted on the car there is a fuse for "heated seats" which had a fuse in it, meaning it was not empty.

Anyway, this afternoon I disassembled the center console, made my way to the empty plug, and plugged in the heated seat switch to one of the empty plugs. The switch light came on, indicating it had power, but the seats never heated up.

David Burnette mentioned some empty harness behind the glove box which may be related to the heated front seats. I may look in there next. But, it may not be related since the power light came on the switch.

For now, no heated front seats but I'm still diggin'.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:39 PM

Last weekend while vacuuming under my front drivers side seat I noticed a white plug that I assumed is for the heating filament. I'm going to guess that you also need to add one of those to get your heated seats to work. I'll let you know if I find out anything else though, as I am also interested in getting heated seats in my 2k GXE.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:40 PM

I meant to say that I saw a white plug that isn't connected to anything, btw.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:50 PM

I do believe you have installed the first Ooglie heated seat. LOL. Let us know if you find a solution. I'm sure many would be interested.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:11 PM

OOGLIE heated seats.

I had visions of plugging that switch into that plug....and the empty plug being part of the airbag system, since there is an airbag module (computer thingy) under the center console below the cd holder...

If you saw an empty plug under the seat, and you have a GXE, does this mean you do not have power seats? Could it have been the power seat connector? I know there is a big bundle of wires under my seat, but nothing dangling off. I'll have to look at that more carefully.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:43 AM

I would doubt that Nissan would put an expensive heating element in all their seats and then have it to only be activated by adding a switch or some other wires. Stranger things have happened..but I doubt it is possible.
Old 04-20-2001, 06:28 AM

We can all hope, right??????????
Old 04-20-2001, 06:45 AM

He's just being a meanie and trying to rain on our parade.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:00 AM

Just an FYI... when I took my seat out doing my amp... there was a wire and harness connected to it from the floor. I have cloth seats and no auto adjusting. Maybe it's a sensor to tell if my fat hiney is in the seat?
Old 04-20-2001, 07:27 AM

I have a power seat in my GXE. I also have a unused connector. I think it's for the heater.

Originally posted by mdeal
If you saw an empty plug under the seat, and you have a GXE, does this mean you do not have power seats? Could it have been the power seat connector? I know there is a big bundle of wires under my seat, but nothing dangling off. I'll have to look at that more carefully.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:39 AM

He's just being a meanie and trying to rain on our parade.
I really didn't intend to be mean...Just sounds like a lot of wishful thinking. With heated seats being a High-High end option on the Maxima it just wouldn't make sense for the elements to be in ALL the seats to only need a switch (or other materials) to activate them.

I was wondering about adding the heated mirrors to my Max and did some investigating. I thought that you would probably only have to order new mirrors (Glass part) with heating elements in them..then there would probably be a way to plug it in inside the mirror housing...It isn't that easy. Maxima's that have Meridian (Heated seats/mirrors/side airbags) come with an optional wiring harness for Meridian. There might actually be wires under the seats to plug in the seat elements and ports in the center console to install the switches but that wouldn't mean that the rest of the car is wired for it. You could probably add the heated seats but you would porbably have to buy regulators/wiring and end up spending quite a bit of money in the process. When I called my Nissan parts dept. and asked them if I could order the heated mirror..the tech said that there wasn't even a part # for them!! Go figure.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:41 AM

I was just kidding about being mean...

David B (South Point Nissan) made reference to some stuff under the dash which appears to be missing, which could be part of another harness needed, as warrlocked made reference to with the mirrors.

I did find the white plug under my driver's seat; however, the switch would not physically plug into it. The switch connector was of a slightly different shape but the same size.
Old 04-20-2001, 04:23 PM

There is an element that you must purchase to make the heated seats work. I think the elements are 150.00 each or some where around there.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:44 PM

What do you mean by "element"? Where might this be located and what does it hook up to?
Old 04-22-2001, 03:20 AM

What do you mean by "element"? Where might this be located and what does it hook up to?
We have been referring to the "heating element"...you know...the actual thing that heats up in the seat!
Old 04-22-2001, 08:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by warrlocked

We have been referring to the "heating element"...you know...the actual thing that heats up in the seat!

Yeh that's the post I wanted to make, but dint want to be mean!

Hmm.. I want to make my seats heated, and I found a switch.. but what is this "element" you speak of?

Maybe there's no element -- could be forced hot water ...
Old 04-22-2001, 08:47 AM

Of course there has to be a heating element in the seat. However, I don't know how to disassemble/look inside the seat.