5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advice on lowering a SE Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 12:09 PM

Advice on lowering a SE Max

Lately I have been thinking about lowering my stock SE max. I am starting to get tierd of the 4x4 look. But I am new to this, and dont know much about lowering cars. Would it be ok to use my stock struts and just get some new springs to lower it. I just want to lower the car a little but, not much, be still have a fairly comfortable ride. Any suggestions. How much am i looking at to do this? Buy the way I have stock 17"SE rims. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:11 PM

buy new springs/struts

struts - tokico illumina's
springs - I have tein H-Techs, can't really tell you about any others but there are a lot to choose from.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:23 PM

Check out this site - very useful info:

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check out http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/sp..._decision.html for information on different brand springs. But you definitely want to replace the shocks when you lower your max. The OEM shocks are to soft for the stiffer springs that you will install when lowering your max. Depending on how stiff the springs are, you may end up with a bouncy ride (shocks not dampening the springs) and even blown shocks. The consensus is to get tokico illuminas for this. The dampening is adjustable for this.

If you are willing to spend the extra money, you may want to consider coilovers. The spring and shock is matched for each other. You can also adjust the amount of drop with them while maintaining full suspension travel.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Sorry - huge newbie question - but I am confused. I have read all over this site about making sure that you replace your stock struts at the same time you put on new springs, but I haven't read too much about replacing the shocks (just the above). Are struts/shocks the same thing? or are they different and should you replace all three at the same time? If so, does anyone have a link to a thread about what the best shock replacements are? (I've seen the ones about springs and struts).

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bostonmax84
Lately I have been thinking about lowering my stock SE max. I am starting to get tierd of the 4x4 look. But I am new to this, and dont know much about lowering cars. Would it be ok to use my stock struts and just get some new springs to lower it. I just want to lower the car a little but, not much, be still have a fairly comfortable ride. Any suggestions. How much am i looking at to do this? Buy the way I have stock 17"SE rims. Thanks for any input.

I tried to PM you. The option isn't there. I have the Tien H-tech/KYB GR2 combo. PM me with your email address and I will shoot you some pics.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by beeda
I have read all over this site about making sure that you replace your stock struts at the same time you put on new springs, but I haven't read too much about replacing the shocks (just the above). Are struts/shocks the same thing?
Struts=shocks. They are the same, just different words. And yes, you will need to change them at the same time you change springs, or you'll be doing it very soon after your stock struts/shocks blow when you drop your Maxima with new springs (and going thru the expense and hassle of removing your suspension TWICE). OEM struts/shocks just can't take the strain of lowering.
I've got H&R springs (made in Germany, used by BMW and MB tuners), the drop is 1.4" in front, and 1.3" in back, which is the mildest drop available in a lowering/performance spring for our cars, at the same time I put on Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks/struts. This combo is awesome!! Better cornering, better handling, solid, and smooth. The shocks/struts are 5 way adjustable, I've got mine set on 2 (soft) in front, and 2 in back.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Struts are not the same as shocks. They pretty much function the same, but are designed differently. Basically, struts take the place of many suspension components.

For springs with a subtle drop, go with H-techs or Maxspeeds.
For struts, I'd go with Tokico Illuminas.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Our cars use McPherson struts. A McPherson strut is a shock absorber surrounded by a spring. The combination of the shock or shock absorber (same thing) and the spring is the strut assembly. You can either buy the springs and the shocks separately or buy coilovers, which is the entire McPherson strut assembly.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I also found this out on the web for others who wonder:

"Shocks and struts and different forms of dampers. Their internal valving is the same -- they dampen the force of the spring -- only their external shape is different. A shock does not absorb side loads, struts do -- it's as simple as that."
"As far as I know almost all cars use a strut set up, (all unibody cars that is) Unibody = frame and body all molded together.
Rear wheel drive unibody cars usually run struts/springs in the front and shocks in the rear.
FWD Unibody/AWD Unibody cars Usually have struts/spring set up on all four corners. (AKA what the Max would be running)
Cars that run a perimeter frame or a frame that is sperarte from the body,(town cars/grand marques) use shocks, any thing that use a short arm/long arm suspension set up, like the two for metioned vehicles will use shocks, most light trucks w/ rear leaf springs run shocks in the rear.
Jay McDade
Auto Tech--Lincoln/Mercury/Jaguar"

I'm planning on H&R's and tokico illuminas after reading everything on here - along with a FSTB, Stage II LTB, and an RSB - I just have to wait until after Christmas...
Old 12-09-2004, 12:28 PM

nice setup! let us know how it goes.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:01 PM

how come some ppl are riding droped on stock struts for like 4 or 5 months
Old 12-09-2004, 02:02 PM

because they are daredevils..
Old 12-09-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by StAtiXz6

Not the best thing to do, if you dont want to blow your stock struts!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by StAtiXz6
because they're cheap and they don't mind bouncing around a little. of course, once the shocks go, they'll have to buy new ones.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 PM

Go with new shock and struts..if you ride low with stock struts, you'll blow them out quickly...and since you're already doing suspension work you might as well just replace the struts rather than waiting for them to blow out.