5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Powder Coat Fade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM

Powder Coat Fade?

Does Anyone Know Why My Powder Coat Is Coming Off Of The Spokes On My S.e. Is There A Fix To This. Maybe An Inexpensive Fix. Thanks.

Peace
Old 12-08-2004, 07:05 PM

Having worked with the powder coating process for a while, I can tell you that numerous things will cause powder coating to chip, crack, or flake. The main cause is usually a shock or blow of some kind. The next leading cause is a scratch or some type of sharp object coming in contact with a powder coated product at an angle acute enough to begin to remove material. One cause that I think is coming to light on some wheels I've seen (including mine) is the lack of adhesion or lack of powder being applied to the tighter corners or tight bends and so the powder does not bond or is not present after the wheel leaves the factory.

As some know, powder coating is a process by which metal is charged and powder of the opposite charge is sprayed over it. This material is then baked onto the metal product and is then either recoated or utilized in that form. This creates a "shell" of material around the metal that protects it and is usually much stronger than standard paint of the same thickness.

When the powder has to get into tight bends such as those on the spokes of the wheels, the powder sometimes does not adhere due to lack of charge or due to lack of powder being allowed to move into that area. While it may look ok after it is baked, the coating is not really "stuck" to the metal even though the shell is there. This will be ok for a product that is not under any adverse conditions but wheels are a different story. They are constantly bombarded by debris, rain, and are bumped all the time while driving.

As for repair... I'm afraid you have very few options. An option would be to recoat the wheels. An expensive process if you can find someone to do it. Another option may be to repair the affected areas with some bonding agent or another type of paint to keep the powder from further flaking off. The final option would be to approach Nissan and let them know you think you're wheels have a defect. This is the option I am planning on taking after the first of the year as my TE wheels are showing signs of the powder not bonding from the factory in a few places. An annoyance and eye sore but nothing to get worried about.

Good luck.