5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine ping

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 12:30 PM
Peshehod

I am trying to determine if all the gas they sell in my area is of poor quality. I always put 92 octane into the tank. Sometimes when I accelerate, the enginge makes this pinging rattling type of sound and I do not feel the full power. Do you think it's due to bad gas? This noise is not consistant: sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. If it were bad gas, wouldn't you think the engine should "hate it" all the time? Should I maybe change the spark plugs for platinum hotter burning plugs? Someone please advise.

Peshehod.

Old 04-20-2001, 12:38 PM

Firstly, welcome to the org!

Does this happen before the car is warmed up, like first thing in the morning?

I believe I use either 92 or 93, whichever is the highest rated octane.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:48 PM
Peshehod

It makes the noise randomly. I don't think it's just in the morning. Whenever I add a booster or fuel injector cleaner, I don't hear anything. It's probably the gas. I wish they sold 94 octane around here. The only place I saw 94 is in Vancouver Canada. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Old 04-23-2001, 10:32 PM
RBa

Originally posted by Peshehod
It makes the noise randomly. I don't think it's just in the morning. Whenever I add a booster or fuel injector cleaner, I don't hear anything. It's probably the gas. I wish they sold 94 octane around here. The only place I saw 94 is in Vancouver Canada. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
higher octane isn't always better.... Try using lower octane fuel and if the problem persists, get it waranteed.
Old 04-23-2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by RBa

higher octane isn't always better.... Try using lower octane fuel and if the problem persists, get it waranteed.
yea, some cars recommend lower octane reading, but max doesnt, so i dunno
Old 04-24-2001, 07:12 AM

I have read either here or on edmunds.com

that here is a problem w/either the coils or injectors which can cuase pinging, I think it was the coils. There isn't a code but to replace and test. Their may be a TSB or 1 coming out for it. Search either forum, here 1st. good luck

Mark
Old 04-24-2001, 07:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

pinging

Hey isn't there a problem with a fuel cut in the Max that I read about. It sounds alot like what happens to me on occasion. When I step on it it almost sounds like predetonation and the car almost lags. But Then, it goes away and everything is fine. I am trying to get the dealer to figure it out. Try doing a search on " fuel cut" and see what you come up with. Maybe you have joined this particular problem club. Sorry to be a bummer.
Old 04-24-2001, 08:08 AM

fuel cut doesn't cause "pinging"

I would bet it is the coils, fuel cut issue does not cause noises.
Search !

Mark
Old 04-24-2001, 08:13 AM

Try Sunoco stations, I live near Philly and they sell 94, although it costs around 25-28 for a full tank...

Originally posted by Peshehod
Old 04-24-2001, 08:34 AM

Re: fuel cut doesn't cause "pinging"

Peshehod - It's not the gas although at first I thought it was bad fuel that was causing the pings - there are a few posts out there but I believe I was the first one to take it up to Nissan USA and my dealership ended up replacing three of the 6 coil springs above the spark plugs. Ran perfect now for over 5,000 miles.

Even w/ that I only put in 92 Techron or Texaco gas...

-jackp
Old 04-25-2001, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: fuel cut doesn't cause "pinging"

Originally posted by jlcpgord
Peshehod - It's not the gas although at first I thought it was bad fuel that was causing the pings - there are a few posts out there but I believe I was the first one to take it up to Nissan USA and my dealership ended up replacing three of the 6 coil springs above the spark plugs. Ran perfect now for over 5,000 miles.

Even w/ that I only put in 92 Techron or Texaco gas...

-jackp
Hi Jack. Nice to see you again. I was going to send you another e-mail but I thought my comments might have some bearing on the discussion in this thread.

My detonation problem has improved significantly and I haven't had to replace any coils . . . at least not yet. The culprit appears to have been an additive in the gasoline I was using (Unocal 76 Premium). I switched to Chevron Supreme about 2500 miles ago and ran a few tankfuls of Techron Concentrate followed by a tankful of Chevron Pro-Gard. That seems to have done the trick. I'm now running straight Chevron Supreme and everything seems to be OK, but I'm not prepared to state that the detonation and hesitation are gone for good. I want to drive my car for a few more weeks before I render a final verdict.

What makes this issue so difficult is that there are a number of variables that come into play. As my dealer informed me, gasoline additives could be the problem. But if a faulty coil is to blame, no gasoline brand, fuel additive or octane booster will fix it.

Based on my experience, here's what I'd suggest to those who are experiencing a detonation/hesitation problem. First and foremost, DO NOT USE INFERIOR QUALITY GASOLINE. If you can find it, use Chevron Supreme with Techron exclusively. Then run a tankful of Chevron Pro-Gard every two to three fill-ups for 2000 to 3000 miles.

Now before you take my advice, let me give you a quick heads-up. Nissan does not recommend the use of fuel additives. And if your engine behaves the way mine did, the Pro-Gard will make it seem as if the condition is getting worse while it's in your gas tank. But if a gasoline additive is to blame for your detonation/hesitation, the problem should begin to dissipate between treatments. And Chevron warrants that Pro-Gard won't cause damage to your injectors or other engine internals if it's used as directed.

If you decide to do what I did and the problem doesn't get better, have your coils inspected.
Old 04-26-2001, 03:10 PM

sensor error?

same here,
my pings are evident at lower rpms & half throttle no matter whose premium gas i use. i've had a feeling that it was because of the stillen intake since i hadn't moved the temperature sensor from the stock inlet to a position closer to the cone filter. i thought it was breathing warmer air from under the hood, but was sensing cooler air from inside the plastic inlet and was causing the ecu to run as if the air was better. i just moved the sensor this week to under the intake cone and i think i still heard pings this morning, only they seemed quiter (i may just be hearing what i want to hear though) if the problem persists, i will put the stock air box back on the car, listen again, and then take it in for some warranty tlc.

ps the best gas we have most places is 91. however, the lowest elevation for about 500 miles is over 4200 feet, and this is supposed to compensate. you can get 85 octane here from the cheap pumps. i think i even saw 84 once. i'm wondering if our 'mountain' maximas are experiencing more of this problem than the 'coasties'.
Old 04-26-2001, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: sensor error?

Originally posted by tb420
same here,
my pings are evident at lower rpms & half throttle no matter whose premium gas i use. i've had a feeling that it was because of the stillen intake since i hadn't moved the temperature sensor from the stock inlet to a position closer to the cone filter. i thought it was breathing warmer air from under the hood, but was sensing cooler air from inside the plastic inlet and was causing the ecu to run as if the air was better. i just moved the sensor this week to under the intake cone and i think i still heard pings this morning, only they seemed quiter (i may just be hearing what i want to hear though) if the problem persists, i will put the stock air box back on the car, listen again, and then take it in for some warranty tlc.

ps the best gas we have most places is 91. however, the lowest elevation for about 500 miles is over 4200 feet, and this is supposed to compensate. you can get 85 octane here from the cheap pumps. i think i even saw 84 once. i'm wondering if our 'mountain' maximas are experiencing more of this problem than the 'coasties'.
I can't answer your question, tb420, but I had the same problem you've got when I installed a Stillen Intake. And moving the ambient air sensor closer to the intake didn't do any good at all. Of course, I was running Unocal 76 Premium at the time. As you may be aware, using Unocal 76 gasoline is a definite no-no according to Nissan. So I really can't put the blame on the Stillen Intake. In all fairness, I should also point out that several people on this forum use SI's and JWT Popchargers and don't seem to experience detonation or hesitation problems . . . or if they do, they aren't saying so.

Although my detonation/hesitation seems to have disappeared, I'm not inclined to install an underhood cone intake again. The reason, simply put, is because the OSCAI conversion is just as effective. Unfortunately, it doesn't look nearly as sexy as a Stillen Intake or a JWT Popcharger when you pop the hood. But that's life!