5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spelling and Grammar and best 5th-gen quote...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:20 PM
retired moderator

Spelling and Grammar and best 5th-gen quote...

Forget I said anything. You guys take everything way too seriously.

QUOTE/POST OF THE WEEK:
"My mechanic had a dead rat inside his car(under the hood, somewhere). This could be a problem. "
Old 12-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

"questioner"? is that a legitimate English word?

While all you says is true, there are a number of immigrants on here as well. While they should make every attempt to be legible, that may not be as easy. However, those who use slang is more than a pet peeve. If you want to talk to your friend like that, that's fine and dandy, but if you want help from others, then please be clear. Do NOT use upper and lower case letters like "i GoTs My m-Ride wItH 22s AnD RuBbEr BaNds FoR tIrEs. fI-ShIzZlE mY nIzZle! WeRd!" That's most irritating and I'm sure most of the veterans on this site would be reluctant to help.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by max5spd
"questioner"? is that a legitimate English word?

While all you says is true, there are a number of immigrants on here as well. While they should make every attempt to be legible, that may not be as easy. However, those who use slang is more than a pet peeve. If you want to talk to your friend like that, that's fine and dandy, but if you want help from others, then please be clear. Do NOT use upper and lower case letters like "i GoTs My m-Ride wItH 22s AnD RuBbEr BaNds FoR tIrEs. fI-ShIzZlE mY nIzZle! WeRd!" That's most irritating and I'm sure most of the veterans on this site would be reluctant to help.
lol

Websters: "Questioner" (KWEST-chun-ur): One who questions
Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM
mjg

ahm sworry j00 no like my graamr.

stwap twying to act like u aw bedda den us. You donut o0n dis place, so mind yer own biuziness.

Seriously man, who do you think you are, why do we need to be lectured by you about how to spell or write? Give me a godamn freaking break. Your not even a modereator, i bet you wish you were one so you can lecture us all in cyber space all you want, and we can bow down and worship your self-righteousness.

The problem here is alot of people here think they are better then each other, and need to put each other down, not how i chose to convey myself, or anyone else for that matter. There is the idea worry not about what others do, but worry about your own problems.

All due respect man, get off the high horse and come back to earth. We just use this place to talk about maximas, not have profound sediments about what is acceptable grammar, and how to communicate.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Come on Kids, let's change the subject. I undrestand the point of Irish,but trust me this is going to turn into a race Crap... so let's don't go there

Thanks
Another immigrant like evry body in this country......... abd remember the only TRUE american is the people leaving in reservations right now.....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
mjg

I'm sorry if that comes off rude, yet seriously, i've been on here a year longer then you, that does not make me better then you. In the same respect, you should share respect to newbies, and people who share this place with you. Great, now i'm lecturing you... Still.

Another thought: Imagine you are having a conversation. Do you practice proper diction and eununciate every syllabel, and make it a point to articulate and correct all of your peers or friends? This is how this comes off to me, and i'm sure i'm not alone in that.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Maxima Pilot

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Come on Kids, let's change the subject. I undrestand the point of Irish,but trust me this is going to turn into a race Crap... so let's don't go there....the only TRUE american is the people leaving in reservations right now.....

Amen. Bien dicho.....
Marianao de nacimiento, Humacao, PR de crianza!

Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Z

Originally Posted by mjg

stwap twying to act like u aw bedda den us. You donut o0n dis place, so mind yer own biuziness.

Seriously man, who do you think you are, why do we need to be lectured by you about how to spell or write? Give me a godamn freaking break. Your not even a modereator, i bet you wish you were one so you can lecture us all in cyber space all you want, and we can bow down and worship your self-righteousness.

The problem here is alot of people here think they are better then each other, and need to put each other down, not how i chose to convey myself, or anyone else for that matter. There is the idea worry not about what others do, but worry about your own problems.

All due respect man, get off the high horse and come back to earth. We just use this place to talk about maximas, not have profound sediments about what is acceptable grammar, and how to communicate.

I think I'm better than you, Mark.

(too bad my car isn't).

Old 12-15-2004, 04:05 PM
retired moderator

Has nothing to do with anyone being "better" than anyone. It has to do with communication. We are all here to communicate in one way or another, and it works best if we can all understand each other.

God knows I don't speak in "proper" english on a daily basis, but everyone here is from all over the place, and from various backgrounds (including english as a 2nd language), so it works best if we all speak in the same generally-accepted grammar.

There's a guy I work with who has 2 master's degrees in engineering, grew up in McLean, Va (a VERY rich area) and is WHITE. But the guy walks around talking like he grew up in Compton or something....the guy is brilliant, but he never gets any respect from anyone.

I'm not trying to act like I'm better than anyone here...when I'm on IM with my buddies, it's all slang. But again, we're here to communicate to each other, and we can't easily do that if some people are trying to act like they're all hard by typing like they're some kind of gangsta or something. The west coast people don't talk like the east coast or Canadians or the random foreign guys on here. The one thing we all have in common (besides maximas) is that we all KNOW how to write in decent english, where we can all understand each other.

rant over, sorry if I offended anyone ....also was not referring to people on here who are still learning English as a 2nd language or whatever. I was referring to the average joes on here who know how to write correctly but don't (you know who you are).
Old 12-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mjg

So true...... YO!! like Ice cube sayz....'If yall dont like it, EAT A DYCK!'
If I see or read something I do not like or disinterests me, I keep it movin....

Sorry, I just do not see how anybody other than a bored, sad man will take time of his day to post a thread with intent to patronize other 'public forum users' on their grammar. If you want to form an 'itty bitty tittie commitee'
and ramble on stupid matters, please donate $20 to the org and do so in the OT forum. If someone cares, they'll join your your Lions club there....
Old 12-15-2004, 04:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
If I see or read something I do not like or disinterests me, I keep it movin....

Sorry, I just do not see how anybody other than a bored, sad man will take time of his day to post a thread with intent to patronize other 'public forum users' on their grammar. If you want to form an 'itty bitty tittie commitee'
and ramble on stupid matters, please donate $20 to the org and do so in the OT forum. If someone cares, they'll join your your Lions club there....
I have donated far more than $20 to the org....

funny you should say that Manny, since you almost always write with good grammar and we can all understand everything you say. And yes, I'm bored sitting here with my wife watching lame TV shows so you're right on target.

Pretty sure Snoop said "If yall don't like it, eat a d1ck" though...

but you say "If I see or read something I do not like or disinterests me, I keep it movin...."

that's apparently not true.....since you had to respond to my lame thread that you do not like....
Old 12-15-2004, 04:18 PM
XGaSpAcHo

I have to agree with irish but I'm not as much bothered by all the mistakes however they do stand out at times. Like the two mistakes that mjg made while respoding.

I mean after all, this is a public forum and there's nothing you can do about it. So what's the use getting upset over it?

Old 12-15-2004, 04:20 PM
mjg

Note to Irish44j:

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. This fails irish's proposed maxima rule#1, which stipulates we all always proper grammar.

You are fined 10 respect points, and are now shall be humailliated and wear the dunce cap in the corner. Now lets all act like children and laugh and point at the (I used a run on sentence there, woops!)
hypocrite:

HAHAHAH. You suck.

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max

Oh man....I have to post in this thread. ****, so everyone can see how good my english is. Seriously, I agree with him above. It's nice to know that you care about how effective (oh **** I hope I didnt mix that up with affective) we all communicate, but for you to take the time to try and school your fellow .org members says something. You know, sometimes people are just in a hurry, or might be drunk, **** who knows. It seems some people have the need to try and show off the little bit of intelligence that they may have. I agree with you above. End of discussion!
retired moderator

[QUOTE=mjg]I'm sorry if that comes off rude, yet seriously, i've been on here a year longer then you, that does not make me better then you. In the same respect, you should share respect to newbies, and people who share this place with you. [QUOTE]

I have alot of posts mostly because I spend alot of time helping people on here out when they ask (my PM box if full like every two weeks!), especially the newbies (and I'm still a newbie on many subjects too...)

Ask the org Newbie who peppered me with questions on AOL IM for 3 hours last week and I did my best to help him, even though I don't know him and he lives 2000 miles away from me and I was trying to watch a movie....That's alot more respect than alot of people on here give, and I think I'm generally respectful 99% of the time.....we're all allowed to be rude or blunt every once in a while IMO.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by HotMax03
Oh man....I have to post in this thread. ****, so everyone can see how good my english is. Seriously, I agree with him above. Its nice to know that you care about how effective (oh **** I hope I didnt mix that up with affective) we all communicate, but for you to take the time to try and school your fellow .org members says something. You know, sometimes people are just in a hurry, or might be drunk, **** who knows. It seems some people have the need to try and show off the little bit of intelligence that they may have. End of discussion!
Jesus, people. I'm not saying to type in "perfect" english. I know I don't! I was just saying it's easier to discuss things if we're all using some basic grammar. Then I was trying to have some lighthearted fun with the misspellings and quote. Lighten the hell up, people!

That paragraph alone had several grammatical errors! OMG! But at least you know what I'm saying....that was the overall point.

Sorry I posted this thread...deleting now since everyone who thinks I'm talking directly to THEM is getting offended.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:31 PM
mjg

Look:

Your a person, same as the rest of us. Your a bit of a hypocrite or whatever, and you love yourself. That's fine. Let me just say, i wouldn't of said a comment, or even made a mention to you, had you not just admitted your a hyporcite and moved on. The man who admits his own flaws gets more respect then the guy who needs to make an excuse all the time, and then insists he is always right.

I don't believe maxima.org is offering merit badges at this time, and helping this guy and then demanding respect for that doesn't work. Deal with that man, i'm sorry what can i say?