5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K slippage

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 07:53 AM

Okay, i have looked all over this site for an old post, but i cant find it. i want to know how you can test your car to get it to slip so i can prove it to our service guy. it happens to me all the time on the road and its killin' me and every time i try to get it to do it with him in the car, it doesnt. how can i test my car with him in it to make it "slip"?

thanx!
Old 04-21-2001, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Okay, i have looked all over this site for an old post, but i cant find it. i want to know how you can test your car to get it to slip so i can prove it to our service guy. it happens to me all the time on the road and its killin' me and every time i try to get it to do it with him in the car, it doesnt. how can i test my car with him in it to make it "slip"?

thanx!

u are a nissan dealer and you are trying to get the slippage fixed at YOUR dealership and they are giving u sh*t about it?

hmmm...
Old 04-21-2001, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by psing23

u are a nissan dealer and you are trying to get the slippage fixed at YOUR dealership and they are giving u sh*t about it?

hmmm...
tell me about it. embarassing isnt it?.......
Old 04-21-2001, 08:13 AM

tell me about it. embarassing isnt it?.......

hehe find a new dealership for service...
Old 04-21-2001, 08:48 AM

Mine slips...VIN number doesn't match bulletin...dealer test drove & found nothing...politely told me tough...

Not a happy camper....
Old 04-21-2001, 09:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

thanx!
Get him in the car. Start from a dead stop. Floor the freakin thing (accelerator ON FLOOR). If you have the problem, it should slip between 1 and 2 under full throttle.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by acitrano

Get him in the car. Start from a dead stop. Floor the freakin thing (accelerator ON FLOOR). If you have the problem, it should slip between 1 and 2 under full throttle.
Its especially noticeable when heading up a hill (extra load on the tranny I'd assume).
Old 04-21-2001, 10:21 AM

do this....bring the speed up to about 10-15 mph...THEN floor it...worked every single time i did it
Old 04-21-2001, 11:00 AM
Got Bent?

posted my reply on the other thread you had:

When the engine is cold, even going up to 3 or 3.5 k rpm will cause it to slip. It is much more noticebale on a cold engine. Also, you can put the engine under load by going up a hill and then revving it so that it shifts at high rpms....it is much more noticebale then also.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:02 PM

Put some heavy stuff and have five persons sitting in the car would help too. And leave the car overnight so make sure it's cold, if it's not possible then just open the hood and let it vent for about an hour before doing the test drive. It worked for me.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by psing23

hmmm...

Now they know how WE feel!
Old 04-22-2001, 02:40 PM

Mine slips and I will bring it to the dealer as soon as possible!!!
Old 08-18-2001, 01:03 AM

I'm a little unfamiliar with what slippage feels like while you're driving... can someone explain it in technical terms please?
Old 08-18-2001, 10:38 AM

yeah i am also not familiar with slippage. is that when you are in second gear and punch the gas and takes a long time to go or something?
Old 08-18-2001, 01:08 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

I believe this is happening to me also. Last night I was doing about 10mph and floored it and it did not down shift into 1st until i took my foot off of the gas... wtf?? isn't first gear good up to 45mph? I was trying to make my way across 2 lanes of traffic, didn't get too close but kindof got me worrying....
Old 08-18-2001, 01:23 PM
Got Bent?

the tranny is slipping when it takes a noticeable amount of time to shift. ie... the tranny starts to shift and the revs continue to rise for maybe a second or so during the shift and then the next gear is engaged and the revs drop. The gear engagement can be abrupt also.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2002 nissan maxima se 24000 miles.. driving normal, its calm doesnt feel bad. like everyone else said, give it gas punch... takes one second / release of gas for it to switch to 2nd gear, i did it on the highway coming on the ramp, from 2nd gear it did the same thing.. now what i've been told its normal for the nissan tranny to be like that... you guys tell me if its serious?

all i know if the tranny goes and i am out of warranty , its getting traded quick for a bmw 325
lol
Old 08-22-2004, 09:18 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

another thread back from the dead
Old 08-22-2004, 10:55 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Stardust good thing we can shift on our own with our 5spds
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Banned

When mine finally dies, can it be switched over to a M/T? I thought I read about someone who did it. How difficult is it?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:21 AM

just fu** your car before you go to the dealer, my 2k2 did the same thing... when i went to the dealer it was fine and the servise guy was like "your car is fine"
Old 10-19-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mregenst
Mine slips...VIN number doesn't match bulletin...dealer test drove & found nothing...politely told me tough...

Not a happy camper....
where can i see the bullitin?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can Tranny slippage cause ae error P0740?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chrismuller
Can Tranny slippage cause ae error P0740?
1. Please don't post ***** in the Stickied threads. I understand that ya can't start a new thread until ya hit 15 posts, but it really pisses people off when there are random questions in the Stickies. Try to find a related thread and then pose your question (like ya did here).

2. Mods don't like it when ya post the same question in 3 different threads.

3. To answer your question, from the FSM:

Description
The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the TCM in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and throttle position sensors. Lock-up piston operation will
then be controlled.
Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low. When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2.0/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

Diagnostic trouble code TCC SOLENOID/CIRC with CONSULT-II or P0740 without CONSULT-II is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve.

Possible Cause
Check the following items.
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Harness or connectors (The solenoid circuit is open or shorted.)

Hope this helps somewhat.... wish I could give ya more, but I have no experience with AT issues like this...
Old 06-07-2005, 03:25 PM

WOW.....this is a really old thread!.......that I started!!!! Creepy.....
Old 03-24-2006, 09:48 AM

mine does this too. called nissan and said there is not a tsb be out for the 03. i had to pull all the answers out of her, not the best "people to deal wit hsince they cant understand a word of english
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 AM

my tranny shifts hard from 2-3rd, its noticeable from 1-2nd with light driving too, but i have over 110,000miles on it, how long was the warranty?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2k3SE Tranny Replaced at 62k

Hey guys, my 2k3 SE miles was hesitating to shift, just as this thread is describing. I thought it was normal, until at about 62k miles it refused to shift into 4th then eventually 3rd. I ended up driving it on 2nd gear until I got it to the dealer. Needless to say, by the time I got to the dealer, they could not tell me that it was working fine, it could barely do 30mph. luckily I have an extended warranty and I got it replaced, it now drives like new. If you notice a hesitation between shifts, check your tranny.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Tranny slipping behaviour can be attributed to plugs, coils, MAF, TCM etc. So, to exactly root cause the problem is quite difficult unless that person knows exactly what he is talking about -- that in essense tells us that Nissan will not own up to a tranny issue quite easily.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:50 PM

My 01 Pathfinder slipped every morning on the little hill leaving my house. At least I thought it slipped. I would press on the gas, the RPM's would jack up but it would not grab a gear. I would have to let go and then hit the accelerator again. Then it would grab it harshly and this was not flooring it or anything. Just between 2-3k rpm...
Old 07-21-2007, 07:35 AM

my 02 se shifts kinda slow but the rpms arent going up that much.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 PM

back from the semi-dead.. sorry guys... lol
Originally Posted by Love_00_Max
Tranny slipping behaviour can be attributed to plugs, coils, MAF, TCM etc. So, to exactly root cause the problem is quite difficult unless that person knows exactly what he is talking about -- that in essense tells us that Nissan will not own up to a tranny issue quite easily.
how can you tell if it's really the tranny or one of these things that's causing your tramsission to behave oddly?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Slips...

Hello

So I buy this used 2000 maxima gle, love it so far, 90k miles, everything is working great, the transmission is smoooth (automatic) however the last few days it's been getting cold and before the engine warms up, I have also noticed the tranny slipping (for example, when it's about to switch gear, the rev will go up to around 3.5k on "neutral" before switching gear) and that problem disapears as soon as the engine is warm.

Should I be worried? I have a one month warranty from the dealership I bought it from (mazda tho) and here in Canada it's pretty strict for used cars... So I'm thinking of taking it to my old Nissan dealership and have them look at it...

Otherwise, everything is so smooth, fully equipped, LOVE the car...

Last edited by squirsier; 11-11-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typos... probably a few left :D
Old 11-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Mine starts to act very bad after every battery disconnect.
Car was fine but had to replace the battery. Right after that tranny felt like shot. Every time I accelerate it harder it feels like it goes to neutral for 5 or so seconds before moving to a higher gear.
It took couple months to start working like it suppose to.

Now another day I disconnected the battery again to clear the codes. Tranny is f'ed again. Hate it. It's alright if you don't accelerate past 3k rpm
Good thing my wife drives it, I couldn't bear with it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Check your long term fuel trims with an OBD-II scanner, you very well may have a maf issue.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus, this thread just wont go away, will it?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
01 Maxima SE, 5-spd

Originally Posted by squirsier
...however the last few days it's been getting cold and before the engine warms up, I have also noticed the tranny slipping (for example, when it's about to switch gear, the rev will go up to around 3.5k on "neutral" before switching gear) and that problem disapears as soon as the engine is warm.

Should I be worried?
Yes, you should be worried as auto-trannies do not do this normally. And, yes, you should take this to the dealership to have it examined. Don't hesitate to tell them that it acts up when it is cold, and that leaving it for the night might be the only true way to get it to exhibit its symptoms.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by aksansai
Yes, you should be worried as auto-trannies do not do this normally. And, yes, you should take this to the dealership to have it examined. Don't hesitate to tell them that it acts up when it is cold, and that leaving it for the night might be the only true way to get it to exhibit its symptoms.

I don't agree...

My tranny works perfectly fine, but when it's cold I have to take it easy on the acceleration till the engine/tranny warm up otherwise it will slip.

Nothing is wrong with the tranny, it's the cold tranny fluid.

PS: when we say cold, we mean 35ish and colder.

Last edited by upstatemax; 11-11-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by upstatemax
I don't agree...

My tranny works perfectly fine, but when it's cold I have to take it easy on the acceleration till the engine/tranny warm up otherwise it will slip.

Nothing is wrong with the tranny, it's the cold tranny fluid.

PS: when we say cold, we mean 35ish and colder.
That is pretty much what is happening, around the same temperature. Takes like 5 mins to warm up and then everything is fine... I'll go see a technician at Nissan, see what they think and I'll post his comments here

Thanks to everyone who answered
Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by squirsier
That is pretty much what is happening, around the same temperature. Takes like 5 mins to warm up and then everything is fine... I'll go see a technician at Nissan, see what they think and I'll post his comments here

Thanks to everyone who answered
yeah im pretty sure it's normal for a tranny to not perform perfectly when it's cold... as long as it performs well when it's warm, then you're good to go

Quick Reply: 2K slippage