5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Thank GOD!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:50 PM

Thank GOD!!

History
Ever since I purchased my 2000 Maxima SE in January of 2004, it felt down on power. It's an automatic, but my previous 2000 Maxima was a GXE 5spd that did 14.80s virtually stock (aftermarket 18" wheels, RSB, y-pipe).

This one does 17.20s. Needless to say, it's sluggish. BUT, i didn't care cause it's my daily driver. It has AC, heat, a radio, and suspension travel. I enjoy driving it as it's easy to drive and comfortable. Outside of that, the fast car is my Honda.

More current
Three weeks ago or so, Maxine [the Maxima] has been stalling at stops or drops idle. Never good, since it's related to a faulty MAF Then two weeks ago, she threw a CEL (or MIL for Nissan guys). P1320 (damn drag racers and their karma) is the code and it's for ignition coils...

So, I park Maxine and start driving my CRX.

Uber Current
Homer [the CRX], as you may or may not know, is a completely gutted, purpose built track/drag/autoX car. It's got uber-stiff springs (for a street car), stiff sidewalls for tyres, race brakes that don't work unless heat is introduced, and no heater/ac...

...and I've been driving it for the past two weeks... to and from work. It's street legal though (legally insured and registered)

What-a-****ing-pain-in-the-***. I love my CRX when I race it. I hate it every other time. It sucks driving cause I get stupid questions from people like:
- "Whatcha got done to it, yo?!"
- "How fast does it go?"
- "What's it run?"

Well, today, i finally got all the parts to fix Maxine...6 ignition coils ($302 shipped) and a MAF sensor ($89 shipped)... 25mins later, Maxine was up and running again..and she feels stronger.

So, Homer goes back to gathering dust until the next race/event. Thank GOD!

CN: my maxima broke, had to drive my CRX for the past two weeks. My CRX is loud, smelly, and rattles a lot. Fixed the Maxima today, now I don't have to drive my CRX anymore!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 PM

I used to love my go-cart... err CRX... when I had it. The AC worked but I never used it and I had heat so it wasn't so bad to drive. The engine wasn't stock but the suspension was for the most part so it drove and rode pretty well at normal speeds. And I got nice gas mileage. But the Max is a whole different world. Noise to a minimum unless I crank up the stereo; AC that works so well you don't even realize its on; heat on my butt, hands, feet, and face; and it rides and handles well without a lot of creaks and groans. Plus I'm not constantly looked at like I'm supposed to rice-my-ride or by the cops who assume you must be 16 to drive a CRX and should immediately be given a ticket because you must be doing something wrong (yep, there's a story there...).

I'm glad to hear you got Maxine back on the highways. I loved the Rex but I don't think I would want to trade my Max for the little guy any day so I know what you mean!