5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
PTP

burning oil?

So this is the situation. I changed my oil today and only 2.5 quarts came out! Similarly, last time I changed it only 3 quarts came out. I always add at least whatever comes out then check the oil dipstick to top off if needed.
Is this normal??
The manual says its takes 4.75 quarts so why is only 3 and 2.5 quarts coming out. I checked the engine and underneath the car and theres definitely no leak. I am pretty sure of that. A friend of mine claims that manuals "burn off more oil". Is this true cause this never happen in any other car I've owned. Should I be worred or is this normal? Thanks.

P.S...Not my main concern but my dipstick is really strange. I get different measurements almost everytime I check it meaning the level reads differently everytime I put it in and take it out and I mean really different not just bearly. Anyone else have this problem? Is my dipstick defective?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 AM

I think I have experienced this, but not to this extent. Usually when I drain my oil only 3.5-3.75 or so quarts come out, even though I put in 4.5. I figure some doesnt get to drain out all the way, along with some of it in the oil filter and what not. Either way, you should let your car sit for 10 or 15 minutes befor you can get an accurate reading from the dipstick. Also let the oil drain out for 10 or 15 minutes. If your worried about your oil pump not being primed when you turn your car back on, remove your fuel pump fuse before doing the oil change and let the car die while it is running to release any pressure in your fuel line. Then when you are done with the oil change, turn the engine over with your starter until your oil pressure light goes off. Then put the fuel pump fuse back in and let her start up and you wont have to worry about a dry start.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:07 AM
PTP

Originally Posted by MaxOctane
I think I have experienced this, but not to this extent. Usually when I drain my oil only 3.5-3.75 or so quarts come out, even though I put in 4.5. I figure some doesnt get to drain out all the way, along with some of it in the oil filter and what not. Either way, you should let your car sit for 10 or 15 minutes befor you can get an accurate reading from the dipstick. Also let the oil drain out for 10 or 15 minutes. If your worried about your oil pump not being primed when you turn your car back on, remove your fuel pump fuse before doing the oil change and let the car die while it is running to release any pressure in your fuel line. Then when you are done with the oil change, turn the engine over with your starter until your oil pressure light goes off. Then put the fuel pump fuse back in and let her start up and you wont have to worry about a dry start.

So do you then refill only the 3.5-3.75 or another 4.5?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by PTP
So do you then refill only the 3.5-3.75 or another 4.5?
I start with 3.5 and then turn the car on and let it run for a minute. That way the oil filter has a chance to get primed. After that I check the dip-stick to see where I'm at and then I add until it's full. Usually I end up adding another quart at this time.

Are you changing the filter too? Make sure you always get an accurate reading on the dip-stick by letting your car sit for awhile ON A LEVEL SURFACE. I think the dip-stick goes into the oil pan on the front of the car, so if you are on an incline, you will get a false low reading, and if you are on a decline, you will get a false high reading.

2.5 quarts seems kinda low. As long as your dipstick shows that you are full you should be okay - just check it often. Your engine oil is not something you want to take lightheartedly. Also, remember to let your car sit for awhile before checking your oil. It takes time for the oil in the engine to seep all the way down into your oil pan, and in the process of seeping, it often seeps down the hole that your dipstick goes into and thus will make it hard to get an accurate reading.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:23 AM
DAP

Next time you change your oil do it on an inclined surface with the nose of the car pointed up. Also make sure your engine is hot. The oil should flow better. I'm assuming 4.75 is the total amount of oil the engine holds. The amount added during an oil change is less since it is impossible to get all the oil out.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by DAP
Next time you change your oil do it on an inclined surface with the nose of the car pointed up. Also make sure your engine is hot. The oil should flow better. I'm assuming 4.75 is the total amount of oil the engine holds. The amount added during an oil change is less since it is impossible to get all the oil out.
Don't misguide with faulty assumed information that causing overfill. Read your owner's manual carefully, all 5gen engines receive 4.25qt with oil filter change.