5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The best the Max has served me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Ben

The best the Max has served me.

I was never so happy to own a Maxima as I was Wednesday. Here's why:

My wife was due with our first baby Wednesday. I gotl the call at lunch to come home. I fought through some seriously slow traffic to get home. We grabbed the doula and the luggage and loaded into the maxima. We had a 30 mile drive to our hospital of choice. Given that it was our first child, labor should have taken hours. We should have known that with my son, he would be in a hurry.
As soon as we get on the highway, my wife transitions to second stage labor (meaning it's VERY close,) and the doula tells me we need to get moving.

Here is where the max came in, we had a car packed with luggage and 3, soon to be 4, people. Every time my wife screamed, I pushed the pedal a little further. We passed a state trooper going the other direction. I had just slowed to 110 mph to work my way past traffic.

We got to the hospital and my son arrived 13 minutes later.
I don't know what happened to the trooper. Maybe he just never caught up.

Anyway, I was never so happy to own a large, powerful car. The max really hunkered down and handled well at high speeds. I was impressed.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:14 PM

i think someone's going to get flamed.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:16 PM
Z

I'm not sure if I should tell you you're a moron for driving so fast or not. The whole hospital of choice thing is stupid. You should've taken her to a decent nearby hospital or have an ambulance pick her up since she had to wait for you to get back from work.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

I wouldn't say it was dumb. I am sure that how people would act would greatly depend if they were in that situation.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Congrats on your first born son!
Ignore the flaming cops and other fools. I wouldnt sit around holding my **** waiting for an ambulance to take my wife to a second rate hospital. Thats what a fast family sedan is for.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:59 PM

Yeah although highly unsafe the end justifies the means. Congrats!

Mark
Old 12-18-2004, 01:03 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by Epacy
I wouldn't say it was dumb. I am sure that how people would act would greatly depend if they were in that situation.
Yeap. Different people would have reacted differently. I personally wouldn't have called an ambulance. I would drive my wife to the hospital.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:32 PM
BlkShadow01

Originally Posted by ni5moserspecv
i think someone's going to get flamed.

yea you are

Old 12-18-2004, 01:34 PM

Me too. By the time the ambulance got there, loaded her up, and brought her to the hospital the child would have been born already and if something were to happen like a breach then god only knows. Good decision man.

Mark
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM

lol...you have a doula..lol lol....but that's besides the point...it's nice to know that the speed of the max can come of use to someone once in awhile.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

he probably was just exaggerating (sp), but again other members need not to flame on him. It's driving insanely fast if you did and all I can suggest is slow down just a lil bit on your next child :-)
Old 12-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
I'm not sure if I should tell you you're a moron for driving so fast or not. The whole hospital of choice thing is stupid. You should've taken her to a decent nearby hospital or have an ambulance pick her up since she had to wait for you to get back from work.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Obviously Mr. Arnold has no children. But if Arnold had a ******** problem you could Guarantee he wouldent go to the closest Hospital. He would go to the best. Same situation. Pregnancys can be very difficult & problemmatic not very routine. You dont want the Earl Sheib paint job on the Maxima. Nor do you want the Earl Scheib of Doctors operating on your wife & child. I have first hand experience with Ambulance drivers as well . I sure trust my driving over any Ambulance driver any day.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Z

Doing 110 with 3 people is dangerous, especially with a pregnant person. Sh*t, if he were going 90, he'd have only lost 2 minutes on his trip.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Doing 110 with 3 people is dangerous, especially with a pregnant person. Sh*t, if he were going 90, he'd have only lost 2 minutes on his trip.

I was doing the speed limit religiously while driving my wife around when she was pregnant. Go easy out there Ben.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:25 PM

ONLY two minutes...jesus christ, two minutes could mean the difference between life and death...if you don't believe me, ask any woman who's ruptured a uteran artery during childbirth and almost bled out.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:37 PM

whats a doula?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Hey sorry, I don't know you and maybe you're a really cool, thoughtful guy. But it's not evidenced by this post.

Who are you to tell this guy he's stupid, and (incredibly) that he should have chosen a different hospital? It's his life and family, not yours.

Congrats Ben, kids are great!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ryans Maxima
whats a doula?
I've been asking myself the same question since I started reading the thread.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:21 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by albertj03
I've been asking myself the same question since I started reading the thread.
Its like a mid wife, someone who knows a lot about childbirth and what to do and when to do it. Simply put, someone who helps you through your childbirth.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:32 PM

Man, no offense, ok a little offense, but you are a major douche bag. How would you feel if some jack *** weaved past you at 110+ as you were driving your five day old home from the hospital. I doubt you would care about his excuse. All it takes is one 75 yr old driver to merge in front of you, and the maxima with three other people are going to pile up. Trust me ive seen many 100mph+ accidents, and generally people dont live through them. Especially pregnant people. I understand you have new father anxiety, but next time plan better, ie have a ride available for your wife instead of going home from work, dont waste time picking up a doula, etc. Just putting in my two cents as an emergency medicine resident in chicago. And generally speaking, the conditions that make two minutes life or death in a delivery are few and far between. I doubt sincerely that driving a responsible 15 mph over the limit, and taking ten extra minutes would have changed the outcome of your wifes delivery at all. Congrats on the new baby, I have 3 mos. old and can sympathize. Watch your reaction next time you have your baby in the car and someone tailgates your, or cuts you off, and you will see this situation from my point of view. If you still feel justified, then you fall into that category of people that would probably be best of not sending forth their genetic material. Hope this was harsh enough.
-getz

p.s. whats that line about not wanting a crack pot doctor, but youll use a doula. THey are the biggest joke in the obstetrics world, right behind midwives. Oh wait, i forgot yer in nascar kuntry, do yee have err confedrat fleg on yer windchild.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:33 PM

Congrats on the new arrival and I sure can relate. When my wife went into labor with our daughter, the louder she screamed, the faster I drove. Granted, it was 5 AM and traffic was light. Flashed the lights to cars along the way and almost everyone got out of the way (a couple of mules with blinders didn't).
Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 PM

Funny a guy from rural Illinois talking smack about the country. Isn't that called an oxymoron? Where is Plainfield? Is it even on a map?

Anyways that flame was unnecessary. A lot of us would have done the same thing if it was our family members. I guess "emergency medical residents" know what's up. OH BTW if you have a title to your name where you have to explain what you do it usually means your job sucks!!!

Example. Regular jobs: Lawyer, Doctor, Mechanic, Secretary
A little payback STOP FLAMING NEWBIE
Old 12-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Z

Originally Posted by mdloops
Funny a guy from rural Illinois talking smack about the country. Isn't that called an oxymoron? Where is Plainfield? Is it even on a map?

Anyways that flame was unnecessary. A lot of us would have done the same thing if it was our family members. I guess "emergency medical residents" know what's up. OH BTW if you have a title to your name where you have to explain what you do it usually means your job sucks!!!

Example. Regular jobs: Lawyer, Doctor, Mechanic, Secretary
A little payback STOP FLAMING NEWBIE
If he's a newbie...then so are you.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by getz1
p.s. whats that line about not wanting a crack pot doctor, but youll use a doula. THey are the biggest joke in the obstetrics world, right behind midwives. Oh wait, i forgot yer in nascar kuntry, do yee have err confedrat fleg on yer windchild.
Well, I can ignore all your other crap, but this part needs a response.
Doulas are a joke? Midwifes are a joke? Hmmmm, is that why cesarean rate is 200% higher without a midwide? Most doctors believe you have to gut a woman to deliver a baby. 90% of obstetricians just want the woman to lay down, take the drugs, and shut up. It's a lot easier for them to feel like they are in control when they are pulling a woman's intestines out. Giving birth is not a "procedure".
So F*CK You for trying to belittle other people's decisions about their health care because you were told it was a certain way.
Nascar sucks donkey **** and so do you.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Congrats Ben!
Old 12-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Qmax03

Originally Posted by getz1
Man, no offense, ok a little offense, but you are a major douche bag. How would you feel if some jack *** weaved past you at 110+ as you were driving your five day old home from the hospital. I doubt you would care about his excuse. All it takes is one 75 yr old driver to merge in front of you, and the maxima with three other people are going to pile up. Trust me ive seen many 100mph+ accidents, and generally people dont live through them. Especially pregnant people. I understand you have new father anxiety, but next time plan better, ie have a ride available for your wife instead of going home from work, dont waste time picking up a doula, etc. Just putting in my two cents as an emergency medicine resident in chicago. And generally speaking, the conditions that make two minutes life or death in a delivery are few and far between. I doubt sincerely that driving a responsible 15 mph over the limit, and taking ten extra minutes would have changed the outcome of your wifes delivery at all. Congrats on the new baby, I have 3 mos. old and can sympathize. Watch your reaction next time you have your baby in the car and someone tailgates your, or cuts you off, and you will see this situation from my point of view. If you still feel justified, then you fall into that category of people that would probably be best of not sending forth their genetic material. Hope this was harsh enough.
-getz

Leave the Guy alone, i wouldvr done the same maybe even pushed the car more so save it, give the guy a break

NYPDARNOLD.... c'mon man your pissed off he was drivng fast w/ppl in the car.. everythime any one drives fast its a risk to everone on the highway .. anyways....c'mon what ha[ppen thats day after the douglaston meet, chill out man, we all dont drive slow, i saw you punch the car and satrt moving into the upper 90's it was you me and packett, i knwo you were near 100's cuz i passed you doing 120 and you were kinda right there, so lets take off the NYPD.

CONGRATS on you new child best of luck with the kid and the car.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:37 PM

okay to answer a couple of questions.
1. I am a doctor, in residency, in one of the biggest emergency medicine programs in the country. Hopefully that qualifies as a regular job as listed by mdloops. When you graduate medical school, you complete a residency in your chosen field of specialty. Although I hold a permanent license in Indiana, I have two years left before I am board elgible in emergency medicine (though i can still write prescriptions for vicodin :P). We complete extensive months in trauma surgery as emergency medicine residents, from which my observations were made. My crack on midwives/doulas is warranted, I've done three months of obstetrics, with close to fourty of my own deliveries. I can tell you many horror stories regarding complications form the aforementioned practicioners. And if your doula is so competent, shouldn't she have been able to tell you to slow down, and that things are going fine. Instead, she had you driving like a moron to see one of us crack pot doctors.
2. Rural illinois, look at a map. I am a fourty minute drive from downtown chicago. There are three million people in the city if chicago, and another three million in the chicago suburbs, of which plainfield is one. If you care to hike out of the woods, and come to see a "city", I would be happy to put you up for a few days, maybe catch a cubs game, introduce you to electricity, indoor plumbing, even antiperspirant. You could throw the whole family in the maxima and do 125+ through I-55 and make pretty good time, hell even bring your doula. THe bottom line is yor still a moron for putting your whole family, your doula, and every body else on the interstate at risk to shave a few minutes. I am thankful that I am reading your story here and not in the chicago trib.
Round two.
-getz
Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 PM

Congrats on the baby, dont take the flaming to the heart, glad you enjoy your max and hope your going to be putting a babyseat in that b!tch lol
Old 12-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Why don't all you guys just chill. You're taking this way to seriously and should have something better to do than diss eachother in a Maxima forum. Maybe you just have too much time on your hands and should find something productive to do...

The guy was just praising his Max.....then you come in and start blabbing about midwives and yadda yadda. Just congradulate the guy on his new kid and agree with him that having a Maxima rocks.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:15 PM

Congrats Ben, my second daughter was born yesterday (dec17). Dont let the Johnnie law and Mr. Almostadoc get to you, they will find anything to whine about. With my first daughter i had a situation where my wife was going to thru a fainting spell.I called her doctor he told me to get her to his office ASAP, I headed the call. Now in those days i had a '89 5spd Maxima Executive edition, to save me the words and you guys the details i made a 5-6 mile ride in around 5 minutes thru traffic lights and disregarding the posted speed limit. Adrenaline helps a lead foot i guess, i would venture to say that i was a safe as possible while getting my wife where she needed to be as soon as possible.
You made it, your wife is fine, you have a new son, so lets be happy for Ben about that. I also thought that the forums had a standing rule on flaming anyway? Congratulations again Ben, what did your son weight/length. My daughter was 8lbs 11oz 19 and 1/2 inches long.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:59 AM

getz1 - Nobody cares what you do. The point was to stop flaming. You can "prove" yourself by helping people on the forum.

Congrats again Ben. Did you say whether it was a boy or girl? I may have missed that.

Mark
Old 12-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I cannot believe I'm reading this. Think about this..... you, your wife, your passengers, and your unborn child in the same car. Driving to Hospital a horrible crash..because the Maxima driver was so stupid that he was rushing thru traffic to get to the hospital. See my point.
Anyway what's done is done,

Congratulations on your new born... next time be more careful.. and think about what can happen. I still remember my first time too, but I will never put in danger my wife and anybody elses life. Do this; enjoy the new born as much as you can, they grow so fast...... mine is already 6 and to me he was born yesterday. Remember this also, when he(she) is 10 months old, FUN ohhh MY GOD, PM me when ten month has passed.

Congratulations to you and your wife.....
Old 12-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Congratulation for the baby, and forget the flaming about driving fast you did what you had to do and everyone is safe and alive. You have to be in similar situation to understand that when things like that happend you dont have the time to meditate and figure out the color of you cloth or should I pick this hospital or the other, you have to react very fast and perhaps dont dispose the reflexion time you would normally have.

I guess it's now time to go sleep one of your last night of sleep for weeks to come. lol... If that could encourage you my little one is 5 months old and he's been doing his night shift since he was 6 weeks old.

Good luck with the family, hope your wife is all well and please take good care of them.

Cheers

AA
Old 12-19-2004, 07:56 AM

mdloops,
you are the one who speculated that my job "sucked", you'll notice that I didn't call you out on you're job. Perhaps you should reread your previous post. My point remains that there is little justification, ever, for weaving through highway traffic in excess of 110 mph. As for remaining helpful to the forum, here is sound advice: people die everyday from poor driving , of which I see often, so reign it in a tad. There have been several org members killed in similar fashion. You cant logically argue the point that aggressive driving makes sense, because for every dumb point you try and make, you can hear ten stories about loved ones lost to automobile accidents in which someone was driving in a manner in which they shouldn't have been. I see this as no different than drunk driving. You get pulled over doing 110, you're gonna see a cell, and possibly lose your license and or car.
-getz
Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 AM

Stop writing Essays. How is that? The point is stop whoring this post!!! Currently I am deployed military (army), but who cares!!!!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:25 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Dude you need to chill with the friggn speeding thing, my mom has had a heart attack at 3AM in the morning and I had to take her to the ER room... do you think I'm going to take a DIESEL POWERED Ford E350 with a MAX speed of around 75 on the highway to the ER and pay around 3K dollars for taking her there ? Or I'm going to take my Max ? Guess who can get there FASTER and cheaper ? For FCKN 3K bux I will throw a blower on my car and not take the ambulance.

Oh Plainfield is the BOOONIES of Chicago burbs....

PS I did get stopped for doing 127MPH in MI by a unmarked GTP who chased me for 6 miles. I was let off with a ticket, AND I had no licence on me. I was driving on a ticket from the day before that I got in IL. This was 2 years ago, and I have not gotten a speeder since then.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

The only flaming being done is by that dunce Arnold.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:59 AM

lol, this has become the coolest thread ever...off-topic threads rule.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Congrats on being a proud poppa, Ben. I give you credit for what you did to get your wife to the hospital. Even if you did get pulled over by the state trooper and told them your wife was in labor, they would've given you an escort to the hospital.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Ben

To everyone who offered their congradulations:
Thanks. Everyone is home and well now. We have a healthy baby boy who was born 7 pounds, 8 ounces, 20.5 inches long.

To all those who criticize my driving:
I understand your concern, but you don't know the circumstances of either the delivery or the highway. I didn't do anything wreckless and I promise you the well being of my family was foremost on my mind. Any time I neared traffic I let off the gas and passed them at reasonable speeds.
I actually wanted to get pulled over early on in the drive. I wanted the escort. I was driving with my hazard lights on and flashing my headlights but the troopers ignored me.

To those kind enough to criticise the choices my wife and I made for delivering our child:

Quick Reply: The best the Max has served me.