5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSB for slipping A/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000, 06:04 AM

I took my 2000 Maxima SE in for it's first service and also to have them check out the A/T. The A/T sounds/feels like it is slipping, especially under acceleration. I told the Nissan dealer this and they said they would test drive it. Of course when I returned to pick it up, they said it was "just fine".
I wasn't satisifed so I looked around on the Web and found a TSB for the exact problem (TSB#: NTB00-039)! I found it on NHTSA's site, http://www.nhtsa.gov, as well as a scanned image of the document from Y2KevSE (maxima.org member) at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~chin/...Maxima/TSB.jpg .
I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this problem and what they did about it. I called back the service dept. and complained, and they are now "researching" the TSB. They claimed they didn't even know about it.
Any info would be appreciated!

Old 10-05-2000, 08:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Seems like most dealerships will deny everyone on their first try in getting the TCM fixed. There have been many stories from members of this forum stating that the dealership replied with "no slippage" or "it's just fine."

It does suck to know that we have a problem, but Nissan has to "verify" this problem. Hey, Nissan screwed up and we paid for their product, so shouldn't they correct the screw up? If it wasn't a screw up, then why'd they use new TCM's on the newer Maxima's?

What I say is fight for the new TCM (try to stay calm when talking to them). Took me 2 months to get it fixed, but it's worth having the tranny live longer. Good luck...
Old 10-05-2000, 09:04 AM

How did you search the website noted and find that information? I did the same and found nothing...probably user error.
Old 10-05-2000, 09:34 AM

Keep pushing them

the first 2 trips to my dealer I questioned the TSB and how did it affect my 4/00 build Max. I was told the first time that my car was fine and did not exhibt any slip. Well inbetween then and the next time I brought it in(for who knows what there have been so many flaky things about this car)I experienced a couple of incidents that I thought were attributed to the TCM. Mostly it was a really mushy shift from 1st to 2nd and every now and then it would seem to hesitate, rpm float and then hit 2nd.

I asked them to confirm what part # my TCM was sure enough it was the old one. The tech told me bluntly.."If I can't recreate it, I'm not replacing it" Basically being a dud head. Well I pretty much started a pretty lod but polite campaign about this issue with anyone at the dealer who would listen to me

Without going into the whole scenario again(do a search for my posts, I was pretty vocal on this)the SM took a ride with me one morning and of course I could not recreate the slip. I was leaving the car for some other work and he said he would test drive it later in the day. He called later and said while he didn't detect a slip he said he knew sort of what I was talking about with the soft shift and agreed to replace the TCM under the TSB. So it is replaced and and the more and more I drive the car I can feel the difference big time...at first I could not as it felt the same but shifts are much firmer now.

Mdeal...go to the TSB link, print it out and bring it with you...what month and build is your Max? Look at the bottom sill of the drivers side door...you'll see it there.
Old 10-05-2000, 02:55 PM
StreetMax

I just bought a 2k1 SE with Auto and I thought it was strange that it did this. Anytime while I'm on the gas and it shifts (1st to 2nd) the car seems to hesitate. Did they fix the problem in the 2k1's? Does turning off the traction Control help?

Thanks for any insight.
Dave

Old 10-05-2000, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
How did you search the website noted and find that information? I did the same and found nothing...probably user error.
Yeah, it is kind of buried in the site, but you can find it under problems/issues for cars. Here is the URL:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm
Then do a search for 2000 Maxima and it will show you all of the TSB summarys for the car.

Old 10-05-2000, 07:52 PM

Streetmax

Your 2k1 SE should be fine as it has the newer TCM in it. Under normal driving the shift still feels soft but when you give her the gas the shift is defintly firmer.
Old 10-06-2000, 07:15 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I'm not aware of any notices that

went out regarding the tranny slippage. I got a survey that asked my how I liked the shifting, but I didnt have a clue as to why until the TSB came out. I actually answered that survey negatively and never got a response. i was on my own to fight it out with the dealer(s) on the TCM.
Old 10-06-2000, 08:16 AM
StreetMax

TCM Model Number

I turned off the Traction Control system and it did seem to help a little but could have been because the car was cold, got cold last night here in Cincinnati.

Does anyone know what the part number or how to tell if you have the old TCM?

Old 10-06-2000, 06:36 PM

StreetMax

Old part # ends in 3Y100, new one is 3Y101. Tech with his Consultant II can read this for you once he hooks it up to your car.

What month and year was your Max built? Mine was a 4/00 build and TSB came out in May..so...chances are if built before then..well actually 100% chance you have the older TCM...
Old 10-06-2000, 08:44 PM
StreetMax

Talked with my service tech and he said it was normal operation in the 2001's. But wanted me to come in next week to have a tech look at it.

My car was built 07/00 so I would think it should have the new one but who knows.

jnm2kse, thanks for the model number.

Old 10-09-2000, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

same thing.

anyone in the SoCal area know where they won't fudge you up on this and will <i>actually</i> listen to this?

-areX
Old 10-09-2000, 07:57 PM

Re: same thing.

do this...
go to the nissan dealer
and don't leave until they fix it.
make sure that you take the mechanic for a drive...
a LONG drive..
until you feel it hanging.
you make the mechanic pay for gas and lunch too.
take it back to the dealer and say you want a new tcm
=)
but mine was messed up...
hehhe
my friend did that
Old 10-12-2000, 07:36 AM

TSB in Canada dealer is saying no problem here

my dealer is saying there has been none changed in canada here. i am not sure what more to say to him i told that i would look into it more. is there any canadains out there that have had it replaced??? and was it a fight to get it changed???
he checked stock in toronto and says none have been replaced he said once it is changed then there is not going back aswell said gas mileage will change any thoughts on this this deosnt make much sense

said it a problem in states not canada ??
thanks

Rocken
Old 10-14-2000, 05:00 AM
wideload

No hassles with my dealer

I guess I'm fortuate... I went in with a couple issues to my SM and ask him to check which version of the TCM I had for future reference. I guess during the check the found that I fell under the requirements of the bulletin and I'm getting mine installed on Monday.

I went in not with an attitude, but just a concern. The SM explained to me that many folks are coming in screaming bloody murder for this part (and don't know which one they have (grin)).

Anyway I'm grateful its getting fixed... I noticed some hesitation, but never felt it really slip like has been described on some of these postings.

Dealer: Rosenthal Nissan/Mazda - Tysons Corner, VA

Old 10-14-2000, 03:57 PM

Canadian Maxima TSB slippage

I just took my car to the dealer today and have them to check the slippage. The machanic said that every Maxima has that slippage. He wouldn't say that it's normal but he says that every maxima's like that. Also, he said that the shift points in 99, 2000, and 01 are all different. One more thing, he said that the part numbers for canadian nissans are different from the US. So if you bring the TSB in there's no use since they don't know what part that is. But.. he said he will try to find the part number for the canadi part if you bring the TSB with you. That's what he told me. It's from Richmond Nissan in BC.

littledog
2k GLE
Old 10-14-2000, 06:22 PM
steveyang

Whats TSP?? TCM?? sorry guys im just a newbie. How would I know if I have a slipping problem?? I posted a similar message on another post but reply here. Thanks

Old 10-14-2000, 06:38 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Refer to porkchop13's first post in this thread... or click on the TCM link in my sig.