5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I go from Audi to Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Audi E

I current have a 99 Audi A6, bought it mainly because of the quattro and refined looks. I like the 20th anniversary Maxima and it has 25 more hp than my 2.8 A6, which would make for more spirited driving.

Questions:
1. How is the fit and quality of a Maxima compared to Audi..is it all plastic and cheap...?

2. Have there been any concerns/problems with the 2001 model, specifically the 20th anniversary edition?

3. Is the 20th anniversary addition worth the extra money?

4. How is the Maxima in the snow?

5. If I just get a 2001 model (not the 20th anniversary), what is the best trim level (SE??) for sport driving. Also, is there a sport suspension option?

Any feedback/response would be great. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2001, 07:40 PM
My 4DSC

Questions:
1. How is the fit and quality of a Maxima compared to Audi..is it all plastic and cheap...?

Have'nt been in an Audi...but the fit/finish of the Maxima is on par w/ other cars in it's class...I'm sure the Audi's got a better interior though.

2. Have there been any concerns/problems with the 2001 model, specifically the 20th anniversary edition?

I havent had any problems with mine...but some people have had some minor complaints about brakes and stuff.

Worth $33K? HELL NO! I would never pay that kind of money for a Maxima....got mine for $18,500. If you're gonna spend that much just get an Infiniti I30.

Not bad....but will not compare to the quattro in the snow.

5. If I just get a 2001 model (not the 20th anniversary), what is the best trim level (SE??) for sport driving. Also, is there a sport suspension option?

Depends on what kind of options you want. If you're like me and only need the basics (power everything, cruise, A/C, etc) then the GXE or base SE should suffice. I would rather customize the GXE to my liking via the aftermarket... rather than spend almost DOUBLE just going from a GXE to an SE/AE (and it is THE SAME CAR!).

But thats just me.

Old 04-22-2001, 08:40 PM

1. audi's have nice interiors, the maxima has nice interior as well if u get leather, but pretty sure the audi was better.
2.i have minor problems/complaints and a major one with my 2k gle auto, the minor can be fixed under warranty, the major can be fixed by me selling my auto and getting a 5speed.
3. nope its not... i would wait till 2002 to get a new car, the altima is supponsingly getting a 240 v6 engine with very nice exterior and interior design, but the 2002 max is supposnly gunn have a 260 hp engine, so id wait for that.
4. in the snow the max is fine, but audi is better
5. well, IF u get the 2k1 max, and dont care so much as the interior design, then get the GXE, and mod it up, u can make it a better performace car than the se if u do it right. but if u want interior, get the se. and move on from there.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:25 PM

I test drove the Audi's before purchasing my Max. Here are my thoughts:

(1) Max interior feels larger, as does the size of the car in looking out or behind, while seated. The Max's door's seemed more "heavy", meaning the Max seemed more solid.

(2) Audi interior finish nicer (and it was more quiet on the interior of the Audi).

(3) Max feels like it has more muscle, and the sounds of the engine are more noticable. Audi was more gentle and quiet.

(4) Different types of power: Audi seemed quick and "like an import", but the Max just seemed real strong and sounded like it meant business (eg a strong engine, just short of a v8).

(5) The Audi salespeople were cocky bastards, which made negotiations more difficult. (Yes, this factored into my car buying decision).

(6) The paint of the Audi seemed of better quality. The paint of the Audi looked good in light, dark, semi-dark environments, whereas the Max's paint, especially the Silver (e.g. Sterling Mist), was not as "bright". I think the Max's "silver" variety is much, much darker than the Audi and the Honda, for that matter. What I mean is that the Audi's silver really looked silver.

(7) Audi, if I recall, had a better warranty/service agreement, at least through the dealers I spoke to.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

An Audi is an Audi ... a Nissan is a Nissan ...

I don't think u can really compare the two .... btw .. r u in Canada? The 33K price sounds very Canadian which seems pretty reasonable ... that would be about $21K USD which isn't that bad MY4DSC ...

N e wayz ... the Audi has a lot of sex appeal 2 it b/c it's known as a higher-end European import ... Nissan still doesn't quite have the appeal of an Audi ... granted .. the rear of your car is FUGLY!!

In all respects except raw power & speed will the Audi outperform the Max ...

If u r going 2 buy the Max ... wait until the 2002 model comes out ... it will b completely redesigned & will have 260+hp ...

ciao

Originally posted by Audi E
I current have a 99 Audi A6, bought it mainly because of the quattro and refined looks. I like the 20th anniversary Maxima and it has 25 more hp than my 2.8 A6, which would make for more spirited driving.

Questions:

Any feedback/response would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2001, 06:39 AM

Don't forget the AE has the limited slip differential in the front which will help in the snow. I have an AE and if you're already going with a fully loaded SE, then the AE isn't too much of stretch. For me the extra money on the LSD and special body trim was worth it.
Old 04-23-2001, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

AUDI OR MAX

I have a couple pieces of info for you. My friend has the exact same Audi that you apparently do. In comparison, the Audi fit and finish as in the plastics and interior, the Audi wins hands down. Some of plastics appear as Nissan skimped a little bit and they are easily scratched. The Audi's I have been in, have been nicely finished, no rattles or squeaks, which my 00 Max SE seems to be getting more and more of. The Audi of coarse has it's quatro and the handling especially in wet conditions, out does the Max. If you want power though, the Max defiantely has your Audi beat. I can easily beat up on my buddies Audi even with the air conditioning on and only a Stillen Intake for mod's. First gear your about the same, and then I shift in to 2nd, thats where you notice the difference. One other thing, the paint on the Maxima's is a bit on the crappy side. Chips very easily. I am very unhappy with the finish in the Max, but still love the car for it's ride, size, and engine quality, especially for it's class.
Any other questions, let me know.