5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bryan/(h2kFrosty)'s 2001 GXE 500+whp Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 AM

Bryan/(h2kFrosty)'s 2001 GXE 500+whp Project

My buddy in Baton Rouge, LA.. brought me his 2001 Maxima a while back. We were going to do a few upgrades to his existing turbo setup.. however, after looking it over, to my horror.. we decided to redo the entire setup. The company that turbo'd Bryan's car fubared the entire thing. This is the NASTIEST turbo car that I have ever seen.. having come out of someone's actual "shop". Here's a few pics..

This is just a little bit of the carnage.. There's oil EVERYWHERE.. from a leaky oil drain line.. that Bryan said has leaked from day one when they gave him the car back. The exhaust housing... is resting right against the coolant hose for the radiator. There's wires and hoses going everywhere.. It's a mess. The turbo is shot.. due to improper placement of the oil drain line.

Amazingly, the car ran low 13's at around 110mph for a while. Things started breaking.. and the car barely runs now.

I will be ripping the entire engine bay to shreads.. the engine is coming out. Forged pistons, arp studs, all new bearings/rings and seals will be going in. I will be building a set of stainless steel schedule 40 2" tubular manifolds for the new turbo. We will be using a Precision SC61, or a Garrett GT35R. We are undecided right now. Management will be done through a JWT ECU. I will be wiring in a early 4th Gen ECU/wiring harness. Should make around 500-550whp when it's done.

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 12:41 AM

Also.. you guys can check out the progress on our forum..

www.fi-r.com/phbb

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 04:12 AM
Isn't that a girl's name?

how many cc injectors do you plan on using? whats the target compression?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:52 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Hal sold and installed this mess as well:
http://doug.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=206034
Old 12-28-2004, 11:03 AM

We are going to be using 550cc injectors.. That should get me to 500whp easily. 550cc injectors will do about 85whp each, comfortably. So, 510whp should be easily attainable at a reasonable duty cycle.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
Hal sold and installed this mess as well:
http://doug.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=206034

Not trying to start a flame war... because I can tell that this could easily escalate into that with all of the tension that's apparently between forum members and Hal. But, I agree, this kind of work shouldn't even be allowed to leave a shop. I know it would never happen on my watch.

I'll show you guys how to build a nice, functional turbo setup. Here's some of my work..

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 11:10 AM

Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM

Gotta love nitrous and turbo

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 AM

Hey travis, this is Chris (you hooked up my SAFC at the track a while back). Glad to see frosty's car is in good hands. I might need to drive down to your shop sometime soon because i am getting upgraded injectors and emanage and might need your help

Also bryan said i could have his old intercooler so could you hang on to it for me.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM

-1 for the improper use of the Acronym F.U.B.A.R

500 WHP is stupid for a maxima. If you want to build a drag car buy a RWD platform
Old 12-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Isn't that a girl's name?

i havent even looked into aftermarket injectors as far as the maxima goes. is there a manufacturer- or even a market for them? or were you planning on using some from a different car? are maximas top or side feed, ive got six new greddy 550cc tops if you need them. i dont think 550 will get you to 500whp, but im just a silly hater so...

whats stock compression and your target? planing the head and a thicker headgasket should move you a handful of points. im interested in seeing this come out- ive done builds on toyotas and dsms but never explored the idea on a maxima. the 3.0l should be a big enough workhorse to spin a decent trim, sounds promising.

that much power on the stock drivetrain isnt feasible by any means, besides getting the tranny and clutch done- what are you going to do about the halfshafts? this is not a 9" rear end were talking about.

edit: mdloops- slow your roll picklewasher. dont kill try to kill this dudes motivation. i cant stand people like you. theres a handful on this board like that, dont let them get to you. throw 21s on a max, turbo that *****, and slam it with airbags- just dont get a y pipe and act like you know. bishes.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
The Definitive AE Master

the 2000+ maximas can run the 350z/g35 coupe injectors, we both use top feed injectors. Some companies need splicing, i know the power enterprise injectors are plug and play

the stock compression is 10.3. This looks like a good project, just make sure the tranny and axles can hold all that power
Old 12-28-2004, 03:31 PM

500 WHEEL HP in a front wheel drive sedan is unfeasible as far as drivetrain. You can put 700 HP into a 3.0 I am sure but what is the point of having the power in a car that was not designed to have over 300HP? A rear wheel drive could be configured for this much easier. The result will be interesting, and I am not tryign to hate. Anybody who knows anything about drag racing will laugh at the though of a FWD drag car and that is what it will be. Go talk to some of the guys who have been doing it for years and see how long you can make them laugh.

I would clean up the turbo setup and spend the time and money to have it very well tuned. I would not go for all that power because it already has enough. Do some suspension work, engine mounts, etc. Make it somewhat reliable too.

Mark
Old 12-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mdloops
-1 for the improper use of the Acronym F.U.B.A.R

500 WHP is stupid for a maxima. If you want to build a drag car buy a RWD platform
Why is it stupid? I didn't see anything anywhere in this thread about a drag car. A 500 whp street maxima would be sick, and totally unexpected.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:54 PM
I Miss My Maxima

No offense to you, mdloops, but a large number of SCCA or similar clubs now offer fast FWD classes for autocross and drag racing, as well as closed-circuit racing.

There are a large number of Civics out there (some would say too many) in the 300+ hp range, some up to 500hp and then some. I've seen front-wheel-drive sport compacts run in the 11s and 10s, and i'm almost positive there are several, if not quite a few more, that are faster yet.

The only real disadvantage to the fwd setup in bracketing is the torque steer, which can be dealt with via suspension or diff mods. Having the weight of the engine over the driven wheels is a plus in my book (no wheelie bars needed!)

Therefore, your statement, paraphrased, that no drag racer would run a FWD platform, or that you cannot build a 500 whp fwd bracket car, is wrong, or misguided, on any level.

-1 for correcting someone for correctly using an acronym in the first place. FUBAR (and SNAFU and TARFU) are often " 'ed "both in the service and out.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:51 PM

Alright guys. Once again the people who know it all own maximas! I'll just go tell all the old timers who started drag racing at the track they should waste their time racing a 500 HP FWD FAMILY SEDAN. HA HA HA HA. What a waste of time and money.

Edit. Why is this even in this forum. Isn't there a special FORCED INDUCTION FORUM??
Old 12-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I Miss My Maxima

BMW seems to be quite successful with its 500 HP family sedan.
Drag-racing optional.

That's why bracket racing has classes.
It's not like you're running your 500hp FWD vs. a nitro-gulping 8-second pro street Z28 like my assistant manager's ex-bracket car.

Anyway, I'm getting too far OT.

1. That's a crappy turbo install;
but... 2. it takes mess-ups and entrepreneurs and attempts to develop good products.

He'll learn from his mistakes and the end result will be truly wonderful.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:27 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Cool project. Keep us updated as well.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 PM

Guys i will vouch for travis, he isn't some ignorant jack a$$ throwing out crazy ideas. He is extremely good when it comes to nissans and from what i understand one of the best when it comes to the SR20.

mdloops stop being such a hater and a pain in the a$$. I am getting tired of people acting like they are the damn forum police. Frosty's car is a 5th gen and so i guess posting in the 5th gen forum would make some since wouldn't it? Granted there is a boosted forum but not everyone goes in there so they may not get a chance to read about this. And about the front wheel drive drag car comment, what the hell are you talking about? Pickup a D-sport or a Turbo magazine and see how many big time import drag cars. Stephan Papadakis's car is a FWD and he has one one of the fastest times for imports.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:37 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

sounds like a great goal to shoot for. seems as though it is in capable hands so it will interesting to see what pans out. if its not your money or time, then who cares what you think. im certain there is nothing in this thread asking whether they should do it or not.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Wow... certainly a few negative people here.

Guys, trust me on this.. I know what I'm doing. I have been building cars for almost 10 years. I have just as much FWD as I do RWD experience under my belt. I owned and built domestic, V8 powered cars years before getting into the import scene. I have been building 4 and 500hp Sentra's for 4 years. For those who still fall under the delusion that FWD is a waste.. you need to do some reading on current technology. The ONLY reason that a RWD car has an advantage (usually in stock form), is that weight transfer puts a big load on the rear axle. The biggest mistake that FWD guys make.. especially when it comes to big HP turbo cars.. is to build a 500hp FWD car, and not address the suspension. I see it all the time.. Guy builds 500whp FWD car. Guy goes to track, and gets his *** handed to him by a 250whp RWD car. Why? Because he didn't put any thought into getting the power to the ground. I have built mid 11 second high 300whp Sentra's. They cut 1.7-1.8 60ft times on small slicks. It's all in the suspension/tire combo.

When this car is finished... you will see all that you need to see with your own eyes. I'm not one to cause a big uproar with big claims. I will finish the car, and give you the data. Then, you can judge me, and this project. Brian is spending good money to get his car done right.

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 08:21 PM

im for the project!!! good luck...
Old 12-28-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by luxbond
i havent even looked into aftermarket injectors as far as the maxima goes. is there a manufacturer- or even a market for them? or were you planning on using some from a different car? are maximas top or side feed, ive got six new greddy 550cc tops if you need them. i dont think 550 will get you to 500whp, but im just a silly hater so...

whats stock compression and your target? planing the head and a thicker headgasket should move you a handful of points. im interested in seeing this come out- ive done builds on toyotas and dsms but never explored the idea on a maxima. the 3.0l should be a big enough workhorse to spin a decent trim, sounds promising.

that much power on the stock drivetrain isnt feasible by any means, besides getting the tranny and clutch done- what are you going to do about the halfshafts? this is not a 9" rear end were talking about.

edit: mdloops- slow your roll picklewasher. dont kill try to kill this dudes motivation. i cant stand people like you. theres a handful on this board like that, dont let them get to you. throw 21s on a max, turbo that *****, and slam it with airbags- just dont get a y pipe and act like you know. bishes.
A 550cc injector at a brake specific fuel consumption of .52, should yield around 85whp per injector at a safe duty cycle. I use .52 BSFC, because that's safe for a turbo motor of this calibur. So, multiply that by 6, and you get 510whp safely. The could be pushed to around 540whp.. but I don't like leaning on injectors that hard.

We will be using custom Arias forged pistons.. in 4032 alloy. I don't like using headgaskets to lower compression.. it kills the quench area and makes for rough combustion.. especially at this power level. It makes the engine more likely to ping. 4032 alloy is nice.. because it's got a high silicone content. This allows for tighther skirt clearance versus a traditional forged piston. You can run these at 2.5 thousanths clearance.. and you won't have any siezing issues. Tighter clearance means less piston slap, and longer wear-life.

I like the GT35R's compressor wheel. It's very efficient at high Pressure Ratio's, and is very reasonable in terms of surge on a smaller engine. The SC61 uses the same compressor.

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 09:56 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Finally Travis, what up man this is Mike Jez from the SR20 forums, I rarely post but my brother has a nasty 500WHP G20, with a custom equal lenght manifold I build years ago for my SE-R. Anyways lemme know when the Turbo Ypipe or manifolds will be ready, I'm all ears brotha ! BTW Serban says HI.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 PM

Travis- aka unlucky, how bout some Power Enterprise injectors- 580ccs, along with a TechnoSquare ECU- car is a 01 so they should be able to program a Q45MAF along with 580 vs 290cc injectors for it. I know they just finished most of their testing on the ECU, I highly advise not to go JWT 4th gen ECU on a 5th gen, you will run into alot of wireing issues. I would just Emanage it with J&S SafeGuard, WideBand LHT O2 sensor with data logging, 580cc injectors, Q MAF and GT35R, this is exacly what I'm doing to my Maxima right now. Waiting for the laptop to come in so I can mess around with the Emanage on the Max. And please sell manifolds/turbo Ypipes to people separatelly, unlike all the turbo kit companies out there who just say F-U to all of us DIY people who can put togheter the whole thing and even tune it. Hal promissed us Ypipes in Late August, and since then..... all I hear is crickets.... NOTHING. Good luck with the project, I'm doing mine with 500WHP in mind, regardless to what mdloops and all the other - "SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A 4 BANGER CAMRY"- Maxima drivers say.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 PM

haha! What's up Mike! It's funny to connect with all sorts of people that you know on different boards. Yeah.. I'm going to come out with some nasty stuff for the Maxima. I was amazed to find out that no one realy has any big-time, nice stuff for the Maxima on a mass production scale. No worries though.. we'll fill the void.

Travis
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM

I'm not much on the SR boards no more, kinda like to keep to myself with all the projects going on. I am here for the 00-01 Maxima owners with all the technical problems. Problem with alot of Maxima owners is that they don't feel the need for speed as much as the SR folks do, I know about 10 people here that want to buy my turbo Ypipe when its all finished for their 00-01 Max, I'm also working on a good SAFE Emanage program for people to get a base programing for their turbo rides. I'm going to push the stockers (injectors) to 4 bar FPR, which should be good enough for my goal of around 320WHP for the basic Emanage program. Using a Walbro and Adjustable Nismo FPRs- since we need 2 on the Maxima. I'm planing on using PE 580s unless someone else has some cheaper solution- it will cost about 1K for injectors alone. Still get away from JWT :P It cost me a SR20 6 years ago cause of their ECU program not being the correct one I needed.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:02 AM

man i dont care about the haters on this forum, but I cant wait for Travis to finish up this project and post some sound clips of this baby. Damn.. 500hps... gonna be crazy.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Alright guys. Once again the people who know it all own maximas! I'll just go tell all the old timers who started drag racing at the track they should waste their time racing a 500 HP FWD FAMILY SEDAN. HA HA HA HA. What a waste of time and money.

Edit. Why is this even in this forum. Isn't there a special FORCED INDUCTION FORUM??

Your opinions are duly noted. Why don't you try being a bit more respectful next time, fellow Georgia member...

Anyway, best of luck with this project. It's about time someone truly stepped up to the plate and did something for the 5th Gen Maxima...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch
Wow... certainly a few negative people here.

Guys, trust me on this.. I know what I'm doing. I have been building cars for almost 10 years. I have just as much FWD as I do RWD experience under my belt. I owned and built domestic, V8 powered cars years before getting into the import scene. I have been building 4 and 500hp Sentra's for 4 years. For those who still fall under the delusion that FWD is a waste.. you need to do some reading on current technology. The ONLY reason that a RWD car has an advantage (usually in stock form), is that weight transfer puts a big load on the rear axle. The biggest mistake that FWD guys make.. especially when it comes to big HP turbo cars.. is to build a 500hp FWD car, and not address the suspension. I see it all the time.. Guy builds 500whp FWD car. Guy goes to track, and gets his *** handed to him by a 250whp RWD car. Why? Because he didn't put any thought into getting the power to the ground. I have built mid 11 second high 300whp Sentra's. They cut 1.7-1.8 60ft times on small slicks. It's all in the suspension/tire combo.

When this car is finished... you will see all that you need to see with your own eyes. I'm not one to cause a big uproar with big claims. I will finish the car, and give you the data. Then, you can judge me, and this project. Brian is spending good money to get his car done right.

Travis
You obviously know your stuff . I commend you on being professional and I am sure you will be very successful in this venture. Are you a member of www.sr20forum.com and if so, what is your screen name?

Welcome to the org and I do wish you the best on this project!
Regards,
Jason
Old 12-29-2004, 08:56 AM

Do you ever post anything useful? Or is it just useless jibberish
Old 12-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by TopElement
Anything to talk **** about Hal huh.
Just making the point that Frosty's "kit" wasn't the only shoddy product from Hal.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
You obviously know your stuff . I commend you on being professional and I am sure you will be very successful in this venture. Are you a member of www.sr20forum.com and if so, what is your screen name?

Welcome to the org and I do wish you the best on this project!
Regards,
Jason
Hey..

My screen name is "unlucky" on the SR forums.. I've been a member there since late 2001.

Travis
Old 12-29-2004, 10:27 AM

I was a little harsh but I use the 5thgen forum because I, myself, feel these projects are better left in drag racing or Fast and the Furious forums I would love to see somebody devote a project to increasing 1/4 mile times through acceleration and suspension mods. I just think if you want to build a car that is not what this particular forum is about. If you want to modify and have a totally street legal, insurable car then that is what this is about.

Good luck anyways but keep it in the correct forum.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TurboS13Hatch
Hey..

My screen name is "unlucky" on the SR forums.. I've been a member there since late 2001.

Travis
Good stuff man, I am actually looking at the SR forums right now as well
Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Banned

I was a little harsh but I use the 5thgen forum because I, myself, feel these projects are better left in drag racing or Fast and the Furious forums I would love to see somebody devote a project to increasing 1/4 mile times through acceleration and suspension mods. I just think if you want to build a car that is not what this particular forum is about. If you want to modify and have a totally street legal, insurable car then that is what this is about.

Good luck anyways but keep it in the correct forum.
Personally, I'm glad he posted here. I'd like to see it done!

mdloops: just remember: opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one and they all stink!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
enthuzed.........

wow, this looks like a lot of fun, keep us posted
Old 01-01-2005, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't consider any of the Maxima turbo kits out there anything spectacular, they look like AZZ and supprisingly even make power. What makes a Civic a good car to modify ? what makes a Cavalier a good car to modiffy ? It takes heart n soul of the person who loves their car, and wants to take it to the next level of performance without buying some overpriced, engineered by someone else- vehicle. This is WHY some of us own Maximas not Camrys, or Accords. Some of us love our cars, dependability, performance and stealthy appeal. For some of us these new age performance vehicles- like the EVO or STI for instance are too small, and not luxurious enough. Take a 5th gen Maxima, throw on a set of good brakes, suspension, light pressure turbo-10psi, and you have a car which will outaccelerate a EVO or STI on the highway, it will handle with the best cars in the world, and stop just as well- all with a very spacious interior capable of carrying 5 people in comfort. This is why I modiffy my Maxima, if you don't like it F-off, buy a Camry and join the Camry Forum- where topics are like "will tornado air intake will finally help me break into the 17s ?"
Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for all the support guys. To let you know what my plans for my car actually are... I am doing this mostly for drag racing, I have a daily driver as a matter of fact. Most of you have probably even seen pictures of it or maybe even videos of it before... I have Ramius83's old car (96 Maxima 5spd), which also used to be turboed. It's not turboed anymore but it is now my daily driver. As far as my turboed 5th gen goes, it's going to be set up for the track mainly. My goal is to run the fastest 1/4 mile time ever in a Maxima, because 5th gen's deserve to be in the 11's... Tired of all the credit going to the 4th gen guys. But that's not the only reason I'm doing this... I'm also doing this because my kit was falling apart and needed to be replaced, and what better time to upgrade than now? This is just the next step for my car. Also I will be purchasing some rather large slicks to accompany my car to the track, so mdloops... I hope you bite your tongue when you see me running insansely low 60's and owning rwd v8's at the track... I'll be sure to personally PM you the link when I post some videos of it.

Bryan
Old 01-02-2005, 10:30 PM

Don't let the .org stop ya from whatever your doing, there will be a few of us doing the similar things to our 5th gens this coming year also. All it takes is dedication, skill and $$$. Good luck on your project, godspeed.

Quick Reply: Bryan/(h2kFrosty)'s 2001 GXE 500+whp Project