5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Dash Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 PM

Rear Dash Rattle

The stock bose sub rattles the rear dash like crazy... anyone know for to stop it? Does anyone know where it actually rattles? Im thinking of throwing some tissue where it does rattle.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:58 PM

check the audio forum, there is a write up on it, pretty simple and straight forward.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:34 PM
XGaSpAcHo

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/bose_deck_fix.html

enjoy...

there are some things he doesn't note on there. which is how to remove the plastic trim on the sides. you just have to pull on them. they should snap right off.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:55 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/bose_deck_fix.html

enjoy...

there are some things he doesn't note on there. which is how to remove the plastic trim on the sides. you just have to pull on them. they should snap right off.
I did the same thing but rattle came back after few weeks. I can't really figure out where it's coming from.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Ammi
I did the same thing but rattle came back after few weeks. I can't really figure out where it's coming from.
you put sound deadener all over the deck and on the mounting tray thing that comes out as well? cuz that worked for me. i still have the rattle sometimes but it's only when the bass is excessive.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i heard that those child seat latch thingys rattle against the plastic covers...i dont remember who, but someone said they stuck something in there and it silenced it...it was on a thread not too far back
Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
i heard that those child seat latch thingys rattle against the plastic covers...i dont remember who, but someone said they stuck something in there and it silenced it...it was on a thread not too far back
i personaly don't see how those could rattle since they're about half an inch away from the plastic piece and arent soft enough to bend but i did see pictures of someone putting dynamat on them. what's more likely IMO is that the actual plastic caps are what's rattling.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
i still have the rattle sometimes but it's only when the bass is excessive.
Maybe that's my case too
Old 12-30-2004, 11:45 PM

i think EVERYTHING rattles cuz i've done everything and more and fatmat and i still rattle like a ****
Old 12-31-2004, 01:35 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
i think EVERYTHING rattles cuz i've done everything and more and fatmat and i still rattle like a ****
it all depends on what kind of music do you listen to, how loud you listen to it, with the factory speakers/head unit, and at what bass setting?

i personaly listen to punk/heavy rock and i have my bass turned up all the way with stock everything and i listen to it on like 15 volume level and i never hear any rattling. but i know one song which if i turn it up louder i'll hear the rattle. actualy all you guys that say you fixed the rattling i'd like to see you try this song out. i believe it's track 15 from the latest lost prohphets cd. that one makes my **** rattle everytime.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:21 PM

^^ i'm running a little bit more power than you

just a little
Old 01-03-2005, 01:35 PM

Mine rattled so bad I thought the Bose speaker was blown. I replaced it with a Kicker and new amp and found that the ratlle got much worst. Somebody on here gave me a link to a how to fix page. I took it up to HIFI buys and they removed everything the link tells you to, and Dynamatted the entire deck lid, seatbelt attachments speaker mount and the rattle is virtually gone. Every now and then with some bass, I hear a little bit of rattle but it's NOTHING like before. They did the entire thing for under $100. Not bad when the knock off dynamat door kits cost $69. He told me though that if I put the speaker in a box it would sound much better. But that's cause I have the Kicker now opposed to the Bose.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
^^ i'm running a little bit more power than you

just a little
what you got?

Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

That is a swell price for that work. That would almost be worth taking to someone for that price.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:44 PM

i dynamatted the whole thing too, top and bottom because i mounted an amp underneath, and it was still rattling. one of my bigger rattles is the actual seatbelt unit. i took it out of the plastic housing and shook it and there is definitely a rattle in there. i didnt take it apart becasue it said do not remove (i was thinking the belt might unravel) im thinking of goin to a junk yard and getting one that doesnt rattle. then ill take the old one apart and post a thread to see if you can actually fix it.

check it out, see if yours is rattling. if its that, no dampening will ever help it
Old 01-03-2005, 02:58 PM

^^ just take it out dont be scurred lol it isnt a big deal. btw i did this and the rear deck fix, helped a little but came back. the max is hopeless seriously, people are always shocked by how much the car rattles compared to their 88 pos american ride
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM

thats really the only rattle in the car though. given i have a 2001 with 70k, it still rattles a lot less than any american car that myself or my parents have had. compared to my 1997 blazer, this thing is a BMW.

i should just take it out, but it wouldnt look good without a seatbelt coming out of it
Old 01-04-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Andoskyy0130
i dynamatted the whole thing too, top and bottom because i mounted an amp underneath, and it was still rattling. one of my bigger rattles is the actual seatbelt unit. i took it out of the plastic housing and shook it and there is definitely a rattle in there. i didnt take it apart becasue it said do not remove (i was thinking the belt might unravel) im thinking of goin to a junk yard and getting one that doesnt rattle. then ill take the old one apart and post a thread to see if you can actually fix it.

check it out, see if yours is rattling. if its that, no dampening will ever help it
wow you must be on crack if you think it's only the rear deck that rattles. my entire trunk rattles with it OPEN!! a;fdjasl;kfja;lwefi!!