5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein / jic magic

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:42 PM

Tein / jic magic

I need a poll on this who thinks which ever is better im goin to be being a set soon im leaning towards the jic magicz but i need to knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. which are beter please let me know thankz
Old 12-30-2004, 08:51 PM
drag racing is for wussies

probably should have made this topic a POLL other than a question, this way you can see who voted on what, and they can give you their personall opinion. I would like to hear from people runing Teins myself- and NOT the S-Tech or H-Tech springs, but the coilovers.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:26 PM

YESS!! i am in the same exact boat as you. i am looking to get the coilovers real soon...like next week. i have been leaning toward the JIC magic flt-a1's.i have seen the drops and everyone who is running them says that they are comfortable ride for actually being a coilovers drop. i have not heard a word on the tein ss coilovers tho.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by TopElement
Go with either the JIC FLT-2's, or the D2's. Either way, they both have issues.
The D2's sellers seem to be very helpful to resolve problems, although the coilovers have some quirky/cheap design issues.
The JIC's are higher quality overall, but servicing them is not a pleasant issue to deal with.
any word on the flt-a1s? what do u mean servicing them?? u mean adjusting the rates and heights?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 PM

When they break, good luck getting help from anyone. Their US distributor will want you to pay $1,400 to rebuild your old set. For another $200 you could go buy another brand new set, but that's how they are.
they break??? i imagine for the money u pay u should be getting quality coilovers?? man i have never heard of anything like this.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:45 AM

yeah that;s kinda scary i'm looking at doing flt-a1s soon, mostly because i can't afford flta2s. Anyone running them have any comments on this, any problems so far?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Oh hi....

Yeah of course they break, they aren't made of magic and wizardry. Don't expect the JICs to break all that early you should get quite a few tens of thousands of miles on them if you aren't actually racing with them. As for prices, you've got to pay to play.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SeaFoam2DMax
Yeah of course they break, they aren't made of magic and wizardry. Don't expect the JICs to break all that early you should get quite a few tens of thousands of miles on them if you aren't actually racing with them. As for prices, you've got to pay to play.
what a dissappointment. of course they break?? last time i remember coilovers weren't supposed to have an expected "break" during their lifetimes. tires ok...they wear. engines...ok it has stuff exploding inside, but coilovers?! geez its like someone who sells expensive headers and says...oh yea they are going to crack after x,xxx miles and then you have to replace them, but they make great power!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:21 PM

Don't let anyone fool ya, JIC is top notch, people who speak bad against JIC can't afford them and just tell ya to stick to H&Rs and Illuminas or something. I'm getting FLTA-2s next week
Old 12-31-2004, 02:38 PM

i wish i did a poll if i only new how im still kinda new to this forum thing but anyway im most likely gonna go with the flt a1z because they come with a camber plate and a pillow ball and the travel time is muchhhh better than the tein coilovers. as far as them breaking unless u jump your car like knight rider i havent heard seen or read anything about coilovers breaking after a few miles. Yea everything breaks over time but not just like that. that would be pointless and they wouldnt be as big of a company as they are today if they did not make nice quality products i am even lookiing into getting there catback exhaust system over the greddy but well see in do time, in do time
Old 12-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Oh hi....

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
\ I'm getting FLTA-2s next week
You won't be dissapointed, I've been rolling on them for over 14 months now, I'd never go back. As for the repair issues, I wouldn't know, but this is the first instance I've heard of bad customer service from them.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:12 PM

I have had my JIC FLTA-1s for a few monthes and really liked the ride but now I am having problems with the drivers side. It is making a banging noise if I hit a bump which is deep. I think it might be just an adjustment of the spring which I haven't fixed yet because of the cold.

It is still expensive though and I did wish I just bought the illuminas and progress in the first place. I might sell my JIC's and get the other ones instead. If someone out there has any offers, let me know.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:28 PM

True, don't let anyone fool you, but do let them tell you what's what.
JIC's are the best coilovers for us, but even the best maxima coilovers aren't all that great. Maybe people who speak bad of JIC's can afford them, and that's why they have experience with them. If we had Penske or Ohlin kits available, i'd go with those, but we don't.
Here are some pics I took of the JIC's like 4 months ago:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...lder_id=915277

As you can see, they're in pretty decent shape, just some grime typical of being used on the road. When I went to adjust the damper setting on the front struts, the shaft snapped! I figured JIC could simply replaced the broken parts, whatever it may cost, and they could be on the car quickly. Well they've been sitting at JIC USA for several months, and they don't want to fix the problem, so apparently the warranty is useless. They will only fix it if all the shocks are disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled. For that, they want $1400. Don't get any new parts, or any warranty, just clean shocks which I could do myself. They won't sell me any individual parts either.
At least with D2's, if you blow a strut, you get a replacement quickly and at no cost. I wouldn't even mind paying whatever to get a new part, as long as they let me fix the darn things.
But I'll just keep quiet since I can't afford them.

I broken Konis like that, the shaft will freeze. You can't just try tor crank the **** over thinking you will break the rust off and free up the shaft. I need to spray the Konis with PB blaster then I can just turn them with the Koni adjustment ****. I seriously doubt you can buy a better coilover set for a Maxima for the price of A2s, I road race my car and autoX so I will see how long these last. I know how long Konis can, and thats unacceptable my me.