5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

are my brakes/calipers sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 05:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are my brakes/calipers sticking?

the past few mornings (and once after work), i would get in the car after letting it warm up, shift into reverse, take off the e-brake, if i have it on, and then let my foot off the brake...and nothing, the car doesnt move backwards slowly like it normally would (im on flat ground). i noticed i have to push the gas just a little, and i hear something "breaking loose" in the rear and then the car moves backwards. i DO need new brakes (ordering today), and i *think* this only happens in the cold, although im not 100% sure. i also hear and feel a grinding from the rear brakes when i brake immediately after this, but a few minutes later during braking, that grinding is gone. im HOPING that the new pads and rotors (irotors, hawk pads) will stop this, but does anyone know what this might be?
Old 01-14-2005, 05:31 AM

My rear caliper piston got stuck, so it kept the inside pad pushed against the rotor, even when my foot was off the brake. Because of that, my right rear side wore down 3x faster than the left rear side. You may need new calipers if this is the case, because I did. I never had the issue of not rolling in reverse, not sure what that issue is.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I get that breaking loose sound at times, too. It happens in wet, cold weather. I think it's the brakes that have frozen a bit to the rotors. Once it breaks loose it's ok, but it sure sounds bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:51 AM

someone else i spoke with mentioned condensation in the cold weather, so that is probably what it is. im still gonna do my breaks soon, but i just wanted to make sure nothing was busted.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:39 AM

my right caliper froze too, wore down the pads and got it replaced under warrenty. They put on a remanufactured one though... that's how the warrenty works..

Clean your wheels and see which wheel gets dirtier first. If the caliper is sticking, that wheel will be considerably dirtier than the others. Usually our front wheels will be dirtier than the back ones ( more brake force) but mine was dirtier at the right rear than the fronts! So I knew something was up and the pads were ground down compared to the other side. Also I saw some beads (tiny) of metal? on the rotor near the hub side... so something was melting..
Old 01-14-2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
one of my friends who is a Audi mechanic, told me you never need to use the E-brake, unless you park on slopes like in San Fran. he said the gear for Park is very strong and can withstand parking on slight inclines/declines...if you put the ebrake when the rotors are hot ( after city driving), there is a good chance that the rotors wil eventually warp....just a thought
Your friend the Audi mechanic is on crack. It is important to use parking brake regularly for three reasons:

1. So your car doesn't go careening down the hill - P on an autotragic is not as reliable.

2. So the parking brake doesn't seize up, and works when you need it (like an emergency?)

3. Many cars (including my Max) use parking brake actuation to set clearance of rear calipers against rotors. If you don't use parking brake, you lose rear braking.

For your problem, you could have a sticking caliper, but I would also examine parking brake mechanism for free movement and release.

5th generation front rotors have a heat warping issue because they are crappy, but I've never heard of rear rotors warping. Front rotors can be replaced by OEM size Brembo blank rotors at ~$40 each, problem solved.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:04 PM

well, i payed attention when i got in the car after work, before going out to dinner, and leaving dinner, and it never did it again. it only seems to do it in the morning except one night that we had a snowstorm. its making me lean toward just wet, cold weather, since it doesnt happen when the car sits for 10 hours at work, but it DOES when the car sits 10 hours overnight.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Wat

Its the Ebrake more than likely....have them check that. However, you will prob have to leave the car with them overnite....thats the PITA part
Old 01-15-2005, 04:35 AM

Treasure that breaking loose sound - it means your calipers are releasing! The pads stick to the rotors overnight and the rest of the rotor develops a film of rust. When you break them loose they will grind a little until the haze is cleaned off. This is common on rear disk cars, not just Max.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:41 AM

I agree with mhadford. Your mechanic is on crack. I use my parking break
whether the ground is level or not just so I don't stressed my tranny. Check
your calipers anyway just to make sure nothing is really wrong. Just because
it hasn't done it again doesn't mean that the problem is gone. Check it to make sure.

Mike

[QUOTE=mhadford]Your friend the Audi mechanic is on crack. It is important to use parking brake regularly for three reasons:

1. So your car doesn't go careening down the hill - P on an autotragic is not as reliable.