5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vogtland Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Vogtland Springs

has anybody tried these springs, or does anybody know anything about them they are on custom maxima for 149. how low is 35mm in inches and 50-60mm in inches?

Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Seoul Man

35 millimeters = 1.37795276 inches
50 millimeters = 1.96850394 inches
60 millimeters = 2.36220472 inches

I've been wondering about the Vogtland springs too. They certainly have a good price (though the Maxspeeds are priced better at $100). I don't know of anyone on the Org who uses Vogtlands. I think somebody here on the Org commented that he has seen them used on Mustangs with good results. If anybody has more input on the Vogtlands (specifically how they perform on a Maxima), share it with us!
Old 01-23-2005, 11:01 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Never heard of them
Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by Ammi
Never heard of them
I have ten fingers and ten toes, and Riyadh is the capital of Saudi Arabia.

Now try saying something that actually improves the thread. So what if you haven't heard of them? Neither have I, but a quick Google search reveals that Vogtland isn't a new or unknown company. They are actively involved in professional motorsports. Nobody here on the Org knows about them because they probably only recently started supporting the Maxima.

http://www.vogtland.com/

On their site, they have links to a dozen NASCAR teams that use their suspension products. Now, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Despite the common belief that NASCAR is all about turning left for 500 laps, the suspension demands for a NASCAR racecar are heavy, and NASCAR race teams can't afford to use bad parts, but that doesn't mean that Vogtland knows how to make a good product for street use. No matter how nice the springs are, if Vogtland's engineers design their aftermarket springs using the same philosophy that they apply to their NASCAR race parts, then they may not properly address the needs of road racers, autocrossers, and street tuners.

I didn't post this long and fairly useless bit of speculation in my first reply because I assumed that mclarengts1 was looking for useful answers to his question, not speculation (like this post) or outright dismissal (like your post, Ammi). I think that the Vogtland springs are worth looking at, because the company has experience in motorsports and they must have decent quality control if pro race teams use their parts. What I don't know is whether Vogtland's springs for the Maxima are any good for what most Maxima drivers will be using them for (mostly street use and some autox/road racing). The description of the springs on CustomMaxima isn't exactly great, so all we can do is guess about them until somebody who actually uses them speaks up.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by spiromax
I have ten fingers and ten toes, and Riyadh is the capital of Saudi Arabia.

Now try saying something that actually improves the thread. So what if you haven't heard of them? Neither have I, but a quick Google search reveals that Vogtland isn't a new or unknown company. They are actively involved in professional motorsports. Nobody here on the Org knows about them because they probably only recently started supporting the Maxima.

http://www.vogtland.com/

On their site, they have links to a dozen NASCAR teams that use their suspension products. Now, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Despite the common belief that NASCAR is all about turning left for 500 laps, the suspension demands for a NASCAR racecar are heavy, and NASCAR race teams can't afford to use bad parts, but that doesn't mean that Vogtland knows how to make a good product for street use. No matter how nice the springs are, if Vogtland's engineers design their aftermarket springs using the same philosophy that they apply to their NASCAR race parts, then they may not properly address the needs of road racers, autocrossers, and street tuners.

I didn't post this long and fairly useless bit of speculation in my first reply because I assumed that mclarengts1 was looking for useful answers to his question, not speculation (like this post) or outright dismissal (like your post, Ammi). I think that the Vogtland springs are worth looking at, because the company has experience in motorsports and they must have decent quality control if pro race teams use their parts. What I don't know is whether Vogtland's springs for the Maxima are any good for what most Maxima drivers will be using them for (mostly street use and some autox/road racing). The description of the springs on CustomMaxima isn't exactly great, so all we can do is guess about them until somebody who actually uses them speaks up.
I simply answered mclarengts1's question. Don't chew me out for not googling; rather you should chew out mclarengts1 for not googling to begin with
Old 01-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Seoul Man

I simply answered mclarengts1's question. Don't chew me out for not googling; rather you should chew out mclarengts1 for not googling to begin with

BUT FIGHTING ON THE INTERNET IS FUN!!!

Seriously, though... These Vogtlands are interesting, but for just a little less you can get the Maxspeeds or for just a little more you can get one of the other brand names that is already tested and reviewed by other Org members. I know it sucks to have a product out there that we know nothing about, but unless you're willing to be the guinea pig who tries it out on your car first, we'll just have to wait to see if the Vogtlands are worth buying.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

i spoke to the NA president of operations on friday, and he used to work for eibach several years ago. as well as the owners of H&R...they too worked for eibach, but anyway, the vogtlands do seem to be very highly regarded by their competitors also...that says something to me. i have some more questions for him, and will probably speak to him again tomorrow. very nice guy and very down to earth. i was amazed that i was speaking to the head honcho, and he got the info for me regarding our application. look for more info to come.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Maxima Pilot

Since they are new to the game, ask him if he would be interested in a kit that lowers the front by just 1.2" and the rear by just .7" and with spring rates no more than 10% higher than the OEM SE rates.

This would be the perfect combo for many folks who want to maintain a smooth, cushy ride ( like me) while fixing the biggest wheel gap/ride height issue our Maxes have -the &*&^%%$#%$ nose-high look
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM

i had vogtland springs on my 93 2 door legend and absolutely loved it, very good and nice ride and handling wise I never had any other springs on that car so I wouldn't know but if i were to get springs again (when i first my I30 vogtland didnt offer) I wouldnt hesitate on purchasing vogtlands again.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:27 PM

heheh...everyone is such a b!tch on the intarweb. you answer a question and ppl b!tch about not googling it.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:31 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

Originally Posted by Galo
Since they are new to the game, ask him if he would be interested in a kit that lowers the front by just 1.2" and the rear by just .7" and with spring rates no more than 10% higher than the OEM SE rates.

This would be the perfect combo for many folks who want to maintain a smooth, cushy ride ( like me) while fixing the biggest wheel gap/ride height issue our Maxes have -the &*&^%%$#%$ nose-high look
i doubt that will happen, he was very disapointed in the sales of their current spring offering. as you can see, very few org members have them...maybe 3. so, they have been a loss leader for the company at this point. he made the comment that he hopes my research and "report" will help bring some attention to their brand. that tells me they are looking for any help they can get to move some of these springs. i have found that there is a lot of misinformation about these springs, and with no experience, people are telling others to stay away from them...not cool. do your research before you make comments about wether anything is "good" or "bad". as in this case, it could really kill some of the limited support that actually is out there for us. this is not directed at anyone in particular...
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 AM

I havent ever tried these springs but I have known people who have on different carrs and they were really happy with them. So I am sure they are of a good quality.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have them

I got my vogtland springs from custommaxima. The rear fender is right on top of the tire>>to put it like when cleaning the tires you have to put your hand under the fender to get the top clean, that is how much it lowered them in the back. As for the front, MUCH BETTER, it eliminated the 4x4 look on a family sedan. Still about an 1'' gap but it lowered almost 2" Smooth ride, but it took all day long for the shop to install them and it cost $150 to install them. They are not crappy at all and trust me when the old springs came off you knew immediately that the Vogtland's were much more superior in quality. Overall better look, smoother ride and great bargain. Get these springs while you can!!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Seoul Man

Originally Posted by darrick04
I got my vogtland springs from custommaxima. The rear fender is right on top of the tire>>to put it like when cleaning the tires you have to put your hand under the fender to get the top clean, that is how much it lowered them in the back. As for the front, MUCH BETTER, it eliminated the 4x4 look on a family sedan. Still about an 1'' gap but it lowered almost 2" Smooth ride, but it took all day long for the shop to install them and it cost $150 to install them. They are not crappy at all and trust me when the old springs came off you knew immediately that the Vogtland's were much more superior in quality. Overall better look, smoother ride and great bargain. Get these springs while you can!!
So they're high-quality springs with a great ride and handling. It sounds like these springs are pretty similar to the H&R springs (not surprising if the president of ops used to work for H&R), but the Vogtlands are more affordable than the H&R springs.

Unfortunately for me, the Vogtlands seem very similar to the H&Rs in the appearance category too. From your description, "The rear fender is right on top of the tire," but there's "Still about an 1'' gap" in the front. I have no doubt in my mind that the Vogtlands really are better than stock (just like the H&Rs), but that rear sag illusion (yes, I know the drop isn't ACTUALLY uneven) is going to cause a lot of people to buy something else.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

o well

either way, much better for the money than ANYTHING out there, especially 4x4 stock wheel wells