5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For all Max owners read,check that gas pedal stopper!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:27 AM

For all Max owners read,check that gas pedal stopper!

This morning was some scary ish for me! On the way to work , i travel a 3-4 lane highway every morning. Well i went to pass a tractor trailor that was in the far left lane, as soon as i pushed the gas pedal, my foot, i noticed went further than usual , the rpms shot up then the car just died! The car went limp , rpms went back to idle and traffic was on my *** suddenly!!!!!!! Being in the middle lane i couldn't pull to the left because cars were flying, cars in the right lane were flying too but i was losing speed fast, threw the flashers on and fought my way over to the right lane on a low shoulder. Turn the car off then on and the same thing happened, the car was idleing at 800, i would hit the gas in nuetral and nothing! My "AT" check light started blinking, i knew i was screwed. Then i felt a hard object under my foot , got out the car and saw the gas pedal stopper fell off, my guess when i went pass the point where the pedal should have stopped it killed my engine. Well i turned her off ,unpluged the MAFS ,jumped back in the car tried to rev the engine, it revved with hesitation, the ses light went off, plugged the MAFS back in started her up and tried to rev the engine again, this time it was normal.With no tools on hand i had to ***** foot my car all the way to work.Its needs a screw driver to tighten the stopper back up, easy fix.

Just telling you guys to check that stopper because it would be a shame to get into a accident over a simple stopper that came loose. I know its something we shouldn't even think about , and should be the last thing to worry about going wrong, but doing so could meen your life.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daily Driver2k2
This morning was some scary ish for me! On the way to work , i travel a 3-4 lane highway every morning. Well i went to pass a tractor trailor that was in the far left lane, as soon as i pushed the gas pedal, my foot, i noticed went further than usual , the rpms shot up then the car just died! The car went limp , rpms went back to idle and traffic was on my *** suddenly!!!!!!! Being in the middle lane i couldn't pull to the left because cars were flying, cars in the right lane were flying too but i was losing speed fast, threw the flashers on and fought my way over to the right lane on a low shoulder. Turn the car off then on and the same thing happened, the car was idleing at 800, i would hit the gas in nuetral and nothing! My "AT" check light started blinking, i knew i was screwed. Then i felt a hard object under my foot , got out the car and saw the gas pedal stopper fell off, my guess when i went pass the point where the pedal should have stopped it killed my engine. Well i turned her off ,unpluged the MAFS ,jumped back in the car tried to rev the engine, it revved with hesitation, the ses light went off, plugged the MAFS back in started her up and tried to rev the engine again, this time it was normal.With no tools on hand i had to ***** foot my car all the way to work.Its needs a screw driver to tighten the stopper back up, easy fix.

Just telling you guys to check that stopper because it would be a shame to get into a accident over a simple stopper that came loose. I know its something we shouldn't even think about , and should be the last thing to worry about going wrong, but doing so could meen your life.
Dude! That is crazy s--t! Glad you're ok, and no accident. Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Maybe you should play the lottery tonight...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 AM

i had something similar happen to me with a 1978 mercedes... the gas pedal just got stuck but the car did not smartly shut down... it kept going......
Old 01-24-2005, 06:48 AM

sorry for the "newbie question", but what exactly was the point of unplugging the MAFS, starting the car, shutting it down, plugging the MAFS back and starting the car again?
I want to learn!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MrPoisse
sorry for the "newbie question", but what exactly was the point of unplugging the MAFS, starting the car, shutting it down, plugging the MAFS back and starting the car again?
I want to learn!

The reason why i did it, i know the ecu is always sending signals to the MAFS , checking on flow,temp, etc and vice/versa. When i went beyond the pedal stopper point the MAFS sensor must have shut down the engine because it read to much air velocity and volume entering the engine,i figured since the ecu is still reading the old readings, disconect the MAFS, start the car up, now the ecu reads the MAFS is off, which sets diffrent readings off throughout the system and stores in the ecu. But my main concern was to see if the car would rev, and it did. So i knew the old unresponsive settings had to be erased or set aside by the new readings of the MAFS being off. Which tripped off my SES light. So i plugged the MAFS back up and the ecu now was reading the MAFS correctly even with the ses light on . And now my car would rev normal and be back to its normal self.

I know these cars are always going off the last readings read from the ecu, so if you can somehow reset or change a variable to throw the ecu off, then replug the MAFS , then the ecu reads a new reading it may or may not help the problem.

It was a stab in the dark, i had to chance it , and it worked ....thankfully!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:08 PM

http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,act...-51054,00.html

check that out, i believe you're not the only ones to have this occur.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=Daily Driver2k2]This morning was some scary ish for me! On the way to work , QUOTE]

this doesn't really make sense- you said your A/T light was on, is there another problem with your car besides the stopper? Also, the A/T light could not have been reset by unplugging the MAF..weird
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by GreenSeMax
http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,act...-51054,00.html

check that out, i believe you're not the only ones to have this occur.
HOLY ISH!!!!! 30,592 freaking 02' Maxes have or had this problem!!!!
And i would have made 30,593 this morning! Ain't that some bull crap!!!

I tightened mine back up , it really is a **** poor design, a stupid philips screw is holding it on, when is should be a nut and bolt w/ washer to hold the stopper down! I am going to replace mine with a bolt and nut to keep that sucker from ever coming off again!

The thing that pisses me off and scares me is that i almost let my wife drive my car this morning!

Nissan you get the for cutting corners!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Y2KMaxGXE-R]
This morning was some scary ish for me! On the way to work , QUOTE]

this doesn't really make sense- you said your A/T light was on, is there another problem with your car besides the stopper? Also, the A/T light could not have been reset by unplugging the MAF..weird
Well when i went beyond the point of the stopper , it killed all drivability, meaning the transmision was dead. It was in a neutral state where it allowed the car to coast to a complete stop. Thank god for that, because it would have been very ugly if the transmission would have locked up doing 75-80 mph on the highway.

Nissan was at least smart about that.... but yes the AT light was flashing because of it. Only when i totally disconected /reconected the MFAS the AT light stop flashing and the transmision was working again. Yes , very weird indeed......

Took my car out during lunch, and my car drives fine , accelerates hard,shifts normal,etc. like nothing ever happened this morning....
Old 01-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Cletus

the ecu is always sending signals to the MAFS , checking on flow,temp, etc a
not to start an argument but...
the MAF does not recieve any signals. it only sends the signal to the ECU
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 AM

dont know if this helps, but theres a recall for the 02 i35 because of this. recently had mine done.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 AM

I had mine done a year or two ago but, never had any problems beforehand.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 PM

I always wondered what would happen if that stopper ever came off. WOW. Glad you are ok .
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Wat

There is a TSB about this.