5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird problems due to the snow..

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weird problems due to the snow..

Well this was very weird to me, so I got stuck on the snow trying to get out of my ally street (a street where all the garages for all the houses are and faced each other, very crappy). Since no one wants to clean the damn street, I had to clean it as much as i can to get the car out. Anyway, after getting stuck, going back adn forth and spinning on 1 spot, I finally get out. After I get on the road, the car felt like it wouldn't move. It was as if I was driving with my handbrake on. So I pull over and clean out all the snow from the wheel well and bottom of the car and the mudguard as well. I start driving, still the same hesitation. My rpm would go upto like 2000 - 2500 and then i'd move very slowly. So I thought maybe my MAF is gone or my coils? So I drive around a bit to see if i get the SES light, but nothing. In order for me to drive the car, i'd have to floor it to go properly. Anyway, I get on the highway and the car didn't move past 60mph even if I floor it. So I go to my local autozone to get code pulled (even tho there's no SES light), I turn the car off, get code pulled and no code shows. So I decide to go to my friends mech shop, I get in the car and start driving, and it drove fine. As soon as I tap the gas it starts jumping like a rabbit just as it should have been doing. It was back to normal, anyone know what in the world happened? Was it my ECU?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM

man that would have pissed me off... glad everything turned out. I have no idea what that coulb be, but I thought that stuff only happened to me.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:11 AM

i had something similar happen to me a few months ago... i was trying to teach my GF to drive standard and she was slaming the clutch and the shifter around pretty hard so i finnaly was like your done and when i got back in and was driving the car would rev to about 2500 and then just die in any gear so i pulled over got out looked under the hood and everything seemed fine so i figured i would try and turn it off and restart it and see if that did anything... it seemed to have fixed it and i havent had any problems since.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:46 AM

Sounds like the cars went into limp mode.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:02 PM

Sammzway, I Had The Similar Prob Here In Chicago While Driving On The Highway During A Bad Snowstorm, Car Kept Slipping, All Of A Sudden Tcs/slip/ses Lights Came On! I Was Like Wtf! Tried To Give It Gas Could Not Past 2500rpm/50mph, Everytime I Stepped On The Gas It Felt Like It Slowed Down Instead Of Picking Up Speed! I Drove It Home, Then Shut It Off For About 5 Min. Started Up Fine No Tcs/slip Lite On, But Ses Lite Stood On! Drove Car Around The Block A Few Times And Everything Seemed To Accelerate Fine And Rpm's Were Able To Redline . I Though It May Have Been Caused By Too Much Slipping On The Tcs/trans, And The Ecu May Have Known To Not Let The Car Go Past 2500 Rpm For Whatever Safety Reason! Not Sure! But It Was Fine After I Restarted The Max! Still Had Ses Lite Though, But That Came On Due To Maf Meter, When I Brought It In To The Dealer! It Was Weird Though Cause The Car Was Driving Fine After I Restarted It, Now I'm Just Wondering If The Dealer Just Said That It Was The Maf Meter To Get Some $ Off Me. And If The Ecu Would Have Just Been Reset , Would The Ses Lite Come Back On Just From The Car Slipping Too Much During Driving In The Snow! Good Luck But It Sounds Like The Car Just Needed To Be Restarted For You!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, I think all the car needed was just restarted. Like desperado said, it was probably in limp mode. I think my MAF needs to be replaced as well, because my car has been very lazy lately. I'm gonna do that once i change my plugs and ignition coils. It's just weird because it shows how sensitive our maximas are, a little tug and pull in the snow and next thing u know ur limpin lol.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
Sammzway, I Had The Similar Prob Here In Chicago While Driving On The Highway During A Bad Snowstorm, Car Kept Slipping, All Of A Sudden Tcs/slip/ses Lights Came On! I Was Like Wtf! Tried To Give It Gas Could Not Past 2500rpm/50mph, Everytime I Stepped On The Gas It Felt Like It Slowed Down Instead Of Picking Up Speed! I Drove It Home, Then Shut It Off For About 5 Min. Started Up Fine No Tcs/slip Lite On, But Ses Lite Stood On! Drove Car Around The Block A Few Times And Everything Seemed To Accelerate Fine And Rpm's Were Able To Redline . I Though It May Have Been Caused By Too Much Slipping On The Tcs/trans, And The Ecu May Have Known To Not Let The Car Go Past 2500 Rpm For Whatever Safety Reason! Not Sure! But It Was Fine After I Restarted The Max! Still Had Ses Lite Though, But That Came On Due To Maf Meter, When I Brought It In To The Dealer! It Was Weird Though Cause The Car Was Driving Fine After I Restarted It, Now I'm Just Wondering If The Dealer Just Said That It Was The Maf Meter To Get Some $ Off Me. And If The Ecu Would Have Just Been Reset , Would The Ses Lite Come Back On Just From The Car Slipping Too Much During Driving In The Snow! Good Luck But It Sounds Like The Car Just Needed To Be Restarted For You!
Please don't type with caps.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM

sorry aliti19 it'll never happen again! please forgive me! i know in some countries you can get a hand chopped off for using capital letters! peace!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

You're lucky that you're from chicago, or things would get really ugly!!

Old 01-26-2005, 07:56 PM
arron01SE

if you intend to YELL, CAPS are appropriate

Originally Posted by aliti19
Please don't type with caps.