5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Kumho Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 01:04 PM

I made plans to get some Kumho tires on Sat.Some guy told
me 225/50/16 size would look good on my MAX. Total price
$406.00 and I keep my Goodyear rs 215/55/16 which still have a couple thousand miles left.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-27-2001, 01:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[i]What do you guys think? [/B]

All I know is that I just bought the Kuhmo tires, size 235/45/17 and just put them on my new chrome rims. And let me tell you these tires ROCK. In the rain the tires are unbelievable. I have been in a really rainy day going about 115mph on the interstate and i dont feel it floating or hydroplaning at all. The biga$$ Deep groove in the middle channels water like you wont believe.

EXCEPT the tires suck in the SNOW. But I dont care cause I aint worried about that.

Dixit.
Old 05-22-2001, 05:45 AM

Didja get the Kumhos? And Kumhos vs. Nitto

Ninja: Did you get the Kumhos? What do you think?

I've also heard the same about snow - I'm in the Philly suburbs, and snow around here can be in the feet for one winter, and a trace for the next. I guess I see a set of snows in my future.

Anyone else have thoughts on the Kumhos? Trying to decide between them and the Nittos. And yes, I realize the Kumhos are said to need a minimum 7.5 rim, while the Nittos fit on 7, but let's just say this is a hypothetical question about which is better.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Didja get the Kumhos? And Kumhos vs. Nitto

Originally posted by Pat DiPersia
Ninja: Did you get the Kumhos? What do you think?

I've also heard the same about snow - I'm in the Philly suburbs, and snow around here can be in the feet for one winter, and a trace for the next. I guess I see a set of snows in my future.

Anyone else have thoughts on the Kumhos? Trying to decide between them and the Nittos. And yes, I realize the Kumhos are said to need a minimum 7.5 rim, while the Nittos fit on 7, but let's just say this is a hypothetical question about which is better.
There's nothing hypothetical about manufacturer approved rim width ranges, Pat. You can choose to accept them or you can choose to ignore them. To quote from Tirerack.com:

"...staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters."

FWIW, I'm extremely conservative when it comes to two items on a motor vehicle. Those items are brakes and tires. So while you may be comfortable driving a vehicle with tires whose internal stresses may exceed their design parameters, I'm not.

There's also a lot of confusion over the difference in rim width ranges between 16" and 17" tires. I believe you're referring to rim width ranges for 17" tires, Pat. But NINJA1111111 has 16" tires. The width on the stock 16" rims is 6.5", not 7". So I'd suggest that NINJA1111111 do his homework before deciding on which tires to buy.
Old 05-22-2001, 08:42 AM

Ninja:

I, too, am looking at Kuhmo's...see http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=40532

I hear nothing but good things about those tires. Both wet and dry traction is suppose to be excellent, however forget about driving in the snow (I don't know where you live or if you have an extra set of rims for the winter). These tires are also suppose to be really quiet as well.

The guys are right about choosing the right sized tire for your rim. However, you should be OK. The 225/50R16 Kuhmo ECSTA 712 (I assume that's what your looking at) is spec'ed for a rim from 6-8". I think the 16" Nissan rim is 6.5" wide so you should be cool. Going with a larger tire may impact you speedo a little, otherwise you should be good.

You might want to look at www.tirerack.com for their pricing. They list the ECSTA 712 at $77 (V rated) and $79 (Z rated). You would, however, have to pay for mounting and balancing unless you're buying rims too.

Goodluck.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:42 AM

Drexel (OT)

OT. Are you from Philly? 92 Drexel Grad?

LETS GO SIXERS!!!
Old 05-22-2001, 05:25 PM

Re: Drexel (OT)

Originally posted by ed571
OT. Are you from Philly? 92 Drexel Grad?

LETS GO SIXERS!!!
Yup!!! The Sixers need to win one of these game 1's. Waiting for Iverson to break Jordan's playoff record.

Gotta go...game's on in 5.
Old 05-22-2001, 06:35 PM

Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Originally posted by 92drexel

Yup!!! The Sixers need to win one of these game 1's. Waiting for Iverson to break Jordan's playoff record.

Gotta go...game's on in 5.
I'm rooting for Philly too. Wanna see some Kobe/AI action in the Finals. Then, all h*** will break loose.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

I'm rooting for Philly too. Wanna see some Kobe/AI action in the Finals. Then, all h*** will break loose.
Yes! That would be great. IV vs Kobe would get big-time attention. Plus I think philly matches up better wit LA. I think LA would win, but it'll be good experience for us. I don't know how the six' are winning these games wit everyone so banged-up!

Back to the topic -> Did you experience any vibrations when you got your 18's and Kumho's? I want to firm up my ride a little, but not give up too much smoothness (I still need to live with my car as a daily commuter). I'm looking at going with 17" x 7.5" Moda R-6 rims with 235/45R17 Kumho's.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2001, 09:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 92drexel

Yes! That would be great. IV vs Kobe would get big-time attention. Plus I think philly matches up better wit LA. I think LA would win, but it'll be good experience for us. I don't know how the six' are winning these games wit everyone so banged-up!

Thanks!
[/QUOTE
Exactly. I was a long time season ticket holder for the Sixers (gave them up this year, because of work) and i can't figure out how the Sixers keep doing it, they are so banged up!! Went to a couple playoff games and the house was rockin'. Good time. BTW, i just attended Drexel last yr. fot evening MSCE program they offer. Great school. I graduated Northeast High class of 89, U?
Sorry for the off-topic BS.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Back to the topic -> Did you experience any vibrations when you got your 18's and Kumho's? I want to firm up my ride a little, but not give up too much smoothness (I still need to live with my car as a daily commuter). I'm looking at going with 17" x 7.5" Moda R-6 rims with 235/45R17 Kumho's.

Thanks!
Let me put it this way, I didn't feel too big of a difference when I changed to my 18's but that can also be attributed to my lowering. Now that my car is raised back to stock, we'll see after I drive it some more.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ed571

Thanks!
[/QUOTE
Exactly. I was a long time season ticket holder for the Sixers (gave them up this year, because of work) and i can't figure out how the Sixers keep doing it, they are so banged up!! Went to a couple playoff games and the house was rockin'. Good time. BTW, i just attended Drexel last yr. fot evening MSCE program they offer. Great school. I graduated Northeast High class of 89, U?
Sorry for the off-topic BS.
Drexel is a real good school. I want to get my masters in ChemE. Will start at DU this fall (there goes my social life!). I'm actually a Camden Catholic (NJ) grad. We'll keep our fingers crossed with the Sixers!
Old 05-24-2001, 04:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Let me put it this way, I didn't feel too big of a difference when I changed to my 18's but that can also be attributed to my lowering. Now that my car is raised back to stock, we'll see after I drive it some more.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered my new rims! Hopefully, they will arrive soon. I went with the wider and lower profiled 235/45R17 instead of the standard 225/50R17 (that's up from my 215/55R16). I'm saving those 16's for the winter.

I noticed that the Kumho's have a treadwear rating of 280 versus my Toyo A05 rating of 240. Weird...I never would have thought that a high performance tire would last longer than all seasons. Oh well.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Thanks for the info. I just ordered my new rims! Hopefully, they will arrive soon. I went with the wider and lower profiled 235/45R17 instead of the standard 225/50R17 (that's up from my 215/55R16). I'm saving those 16's for the winter.

I noticed that the Kumho's have a treadwear rating of 280 versus my Toyo A05 rating of 240. Weird...I never would have thought that a high performance tire would last longer than all seasons. Oh well.
No prob. Don't forget to put up pics. As for the treadwear, I believe that the number is arbitrary to the company that manufactures the tires so a 280 on Kumhos does not necessarily compare 1 to 1 with the 240 from the Koyos. Maybe another .org person can vouch for this.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Yup, Utog wear ratings on the tires are not universal. So yes 240 on one brand is not the same as 240 on another brand.

No prob. Don't forget to put up pics. As for the treadwear, I believe that the number is arbitrary to the company that manufactures the tires so a 280 on Kumhos does not necessarily compare 1 to 1 with the 240 from the Koyos. Maybe another .org person can vouch for this.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drexel (OT)

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yup, Utog wear ratings on the tires are not universal. So yes 240 on one brand is not the same as 240 on another brand.

.org Member tested, Mother approved!
Thanks Jeff.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:13 PM

KUMHO TIRES!!!!!!!!!!

I Love my KUMHOS .I know my 225/50/16s are small compared to
all you guys here. But , my KUMHOS cut the rain like a knife!!!!!

for you skeptics!!!!!!
http://www.kumhousa.com