5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

(*&(^o(&*&&***

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 AM

(*&(^o(&*&&***

I'm at my wits end with my '00 Max SE. I had a '97 and never had the bs problems that this car has had. Aside from the various sensor failures, etc. the interior rattles are driving me nuts!!! They're coming from everywhere, center console, passenger side, cup holder, everywhere. This is complete crap for a $30k car.

I've looked at the TSB's, and have added felt tape, but nothing is proving to be a reliable fix.

This annoyance, coupled with how fast these cars depreicate, the plodding road manners and flighty handling, and pretty dismal fuel economy (considering its competition) are making me seriously think of selling this thing.

any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

If it's 5spd, I'll take it.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by JazzyFunkyKool
I'm at my wits end with my '00 Max SE. I had a '97 and never had the bs problems that this car has had. Aside from the various sensor failures, etc. the interior rattles are driving me nuts!!! They're coming from everywhere, center console, passenger side, cup holder, everywhere. This is complete crap for a $30k car.

I've looked at the TSB's, and have added felt tape, but nothing is proving to be a reliable fix.

This annoyance, coupled with how fast these cars depreicate, the plodding road manners and flighty handling, and pretty dismal fuel economy (considering its competition) are making me seriously think of selling this thing.

any suggestions?
Quite whining like a baby and sell it then.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Other people have been discussing this too... if ya had gone back several pages ya woulda found it....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=370908
Old 02-01-2005, 08:11 AM

it is a 5spd; pearl white, i'm the second owner, 245/45 kuhmo exsta's; amsoil synthetic, new 02 sensor, new cam positioning sensor, new crank positioning sensor, new nissan pads, leather, etc.

seriously, how much you offerin?!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Sounds pretty loaded, but I'm looking for an everyday driver, aka not so many options, but 5spd is nice . . How many miles? I'll check the NADA in a bit.

i have already viewed this page and have gone through the actual nissan rattle tsb's...if you actually read my post, you wouldn't have felt the need to be such a smart ***.

57,738 miles
Old 02-01-2005, 08:25 AM

i have already viewed this page and have gone through the actual nissan rattle tsb's...if you actually read my post, you wouldn't have felt the need to be such a smart ***.
I read your post... this is what you said:

Ya never said, "I've also considered what people have suggested in the various noises and rattles threads... ", which is why I posted the link....
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 AM

cheers for noticing my lack of clarity...my apologies for any inflammatory statements.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

haha, i just rolled out of bed not too long ago. This was one of the first threads i read while in the process of waking up.

It takes me a while to get the ball rolling.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:34 AM

I highly doubt that there is any competition for 5th gen's price that offers the same power and fuel economy. Remember, you bought this car used, and didnt pay the full 30k for it. The depreciation sucks in first 5 yrs, after that it is very decent.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Acura TL; 3 series

this is my second max; so i deliberately sought this one out, and waited a while to find it, but this still doesn't excuse the shortcomings of this car.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM

trade it in for 5.5, less problems...
Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by chun
trade it in for 5.5, less problems...
......And it's a whole lot faster!! Luv my 6spd!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Acura TL; 3 series

this is my second max; so i deliberately sought this one out, and waited a while to find it, but this still doesn't excuse the shortcomings of this car.
ok but the TL will cost you more than you paid for your Max, and 3-series is even more $$$. And who said they are faster and have better gas mileage?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:11 PM
XGaSpAcHo

the maxima especialy used is nowhere near 30k which is the price for a TL and a 3 series for 30 is a tiny and weak POS. i'm with ya on the rattles but what can ya do?

Old 02-01-2005, 02:34 PM

I actually own a TL, and it does get better gas mileage and has no rattles...the reason I have had maxima's for so long was the manual transmission, and like i said, none of these problems occured in my '97 that i drove to 100k miles.

why is it that this car costs more, and has more problems? moreover, why should we put up with it?

while all this banter is fun, what i'm really looking for is discovering any new/innovative rattle fixes...dave b can't even help me.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 PM

I have a project for the summer which I hope will help with interior noise. My plan is to use foam and other sealants to tighten the trouble area (i.e. take apart from dash and place any foam I can to compress the area between the dash and the sitting). It's really annoying and I'm sure many of you blast your radio to keep the noise down. If any other new yorkers are willing to give this a try we can make it a team project. Anyone interested?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:57 PM
I Miss My Maxima

I've never had a rattle in my 2k2 that wasn't caused by something I left in my car...
Guess I got lucky when they built mine.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by Sizzo718
I have a project for the summer which I hope will help with interior noise. My plan is to use foam and other sealants to tighten the trouble area (i.e. take apart from dash and place any foam I can to compress the area between the dash and the sitting). It's really annoying and I'm sure many of you blast your radio to keep the noise down. If any other new yorkers are willing to give this a try we can make it a team project. Anyone interested?
as soon as i began reading your post i actualy looked over to see your mini profile and upon seeing that you were from NY was going to ask if you wanted to make this a joint effort. i'd definitely up for this man if i don't get rid of atleast some of my rattles i'm going to go insane!! email me or PM me and we can exchange info so come summer time we can do this.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
QMaxed03

Sizzo718 and XGaspacHo Lets do this i also have the same problem but im ahead of the game i found out where 2 of the most common rattles come from , i had me and 2 other 5gen owner get togher and we came up with the clock on the dash and the instument cluster have a rattleing the clock does have alot thought in all 3 of our cars, im down wit the project ! i had a lot commign from the radio and the shift **** is i fixed those , now those 2 stand.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:50 PM

yes the maxima isnt as luxerious as benz or bmw, but its a sporty car, yet classy. im glad thtat it doesnt weight 4,000lbs like my moms vovlo. or my uncles E300. the cabins inside benz are really quite and soft ride. its also a v-8. a slow *** v-8. and the suspension is very soft. maxima for 30k? it is kind of expensive. thats why i got mine for 22k used!!! you know the quality of nissan, either you hate it or you love it.what did you expect? it costs money to produce real quality cars.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by QMaxed03
Sizzo718 and XGaspacHo Lets do this i also have the same problem but im ahead of the game i found out where 2 of the most common rattles come from , i had me and 2 other 5gen owner get togher and we came up with the clock on the dash and the instument cluster have a rattleing the clock does have alot thought in all 3 of our cars, im down wit the project ! i had a lot commign from the radio and the shift **** is i fixed those , now those 2 stand.
aight i'll bring the beer...

send either one of us a PM dude and we can all exchange email addresses and stuff.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Yeah, the cam position sensor on my car went less than 24 hours after i got the car used. I couldn't start it and I was really disappointed...had to have it towed to the dealer..but at least they replaced the sensor for free. But since then, no problems...

As for the rattles and noise...we can thank cost cutting in corporate america...
Old 02-01-2005, 07:32 PM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by frankd121
As for the rattles and noise...we can thank cost cutting in corporate america...
what kills me is that my dad has an I35 which is the essentialy the exact same car with some slightly different looking components and his is quiet as can be. not a single rattle and the car has more miles than mine on it. i know that it's an infiniti but how much could it possibly cost to do the same in a nissan. i'm sure people wouldn't mind paying extra if it means that **** doesn't rattle.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:36 PM

Nissans quality must have went down hill after awhile. The only rattles my 17 year old 2nd gen maxima makes is whenever there is money in the ash tray.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
The Definitive AE Master

another consideration is that the 2000 is the product year where the 5th gen body first came out. A lot of the minor bugs, kinks, and defects are usually fixed after the manufacturer has had time to see real world results.

Hence 2001-2003 maximas have less and less problems
Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 PM

I don't care what kind of car you buy or how much it cost, every car has its problems. I know someone who bought a brand knew Benz and she said it was a POS.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 PM

Just do what i do and turn your radio up, i promise you wont hear any rattles or sounds or anything at all. LOL
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 AM
XGaSpAcHo

Originally Posted by 2000 Maximus
Just do what i do and turn your radio up, i promise you wont hear any rattles or sounds or anything at all. LOL
yeah after a while you really won't hear anything at all...just the ringing in your ears.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 AM

honestly, turning up the music shouldn't be the solution to reducing our interior noises. what happens when all you want is peace and quiet while you drive home after a hard day of work but all you hear is the ear-itating sound of the rattles... don't know about you but that would drive me absolutely !!!!!!

Originally Posted by XGaSpAcHo
yeah after a while you really won't hear anything at all...just the ringing in your ears.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:10 AM

yeah... we'll definintely get together once it gets nice out.

Originally Posted by QMaxed03
Old 02-02-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sizzo718
honestly, turning up the music shouldn't be the solution to reducing our interior noises. what happens when all you want is peace and quiet while you drive home after a hard day of work but all you hear is the ear-itating sound of the rattles... don't know about you but that would drive me absolutely !!!!!!
i dont know, i like music and to me its a way of relaxing.. after hard day of work, i usually crank it up louder, to forget about everthing, and just cruise. loud music = less **** to think about. but thats just MY way of relaxing.i dont know bout anyone else. i do drive with the radio off when i just get into the car, but so far so good. little rattle, but not so much that i cant stand it.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
XGaSpAcHo

i dont know, i like music and to me its a way of relaxing.. after hard day of work, i usually crank it up louder, to forget about everthing, and just cruise. loud music = less **** to think about. but thats just MY way of relaxing.i dont know bout anyone else. i do drive with the radio off when i just get into the car, but so far so good. little rattle, but not so much that i cant stand it.
sometimes i like that as well and sometimes i just want to have some peace and quiet. you can't always have loud music playing everytime you drive.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 PM

^^^ like i said, after a HARD day of work. i only have mine on to vol 20 or 19, normally, if im having a bad day, then i just turn it up to like 26, which isnt loud at all. becuase of the road niose and i drive 80 on the HWY. and i just drove mine now with the radio off, still no rattle. i dont like unforfortable silences. i gotta have atleast little bit of music, even its low.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
XGaSpAcHo

^^^ like i said, after a HARD day of work. i only have mine on to vol 20 or 19, normally, if im having a bad day, then i just turn it up to like 26, which isnt loud at all. becuase of the road niose and i drive 80 on the HWY. and i just drove mine now with the radio off, still no rattle. i dont like unforfortable silences. i gotta have atleast little bit of music, even its low.
20 or 19 is normal for ya? i'd say normally i have mine on 12 or 15 and 22 is where i stop. but in either case, i don't want to cover up the problem instead of fixing it.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:44 PM

sometimes i like having the window rolled down and hearing the sound of wind noise as opposed to interior noise... but not during this season... it's F@(#*$ cold outside! =P