5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why should my buddy buy a 5th Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why should my buddy buy a 5th Gen.

My buddy is the father of 2 kids and is married.
He's owned a 1990 Carolla for a long time and it may be on it's last leg.
He plans on buying a 2003 Carolla for $10-15k.

Tell him for me why he should instead buy a 2000-2001 Maxima.
He WILL NOT be modding it - so mods is not an argument to convince him.

Help me convince him - post pics/specs as necessary.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I miss the .org!

What he oughta do is buy a nice local Glacier Pearl 2K2 instead. Once it's returned to stock trim, pre his liking, of course...
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM

For under 15k?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM

why you selling your car, Triple?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 PM
retired moderator

-engine is extremely smooth and will run forever
-car has nice ride for family cruising
-much much more interior room than a corolla!!
-extremely safe car....4 airbags and good crumple zones. I have known 2 buddies who have totaled 5th gens and came out of these accidents without a scratch (at all)
-pre-attached child seat lugs in the back
-good stock sound system (if he gets Bose)
-stock heated seats, mirrors, steerign wheel if you get meridian edition
-reliable car. Aside from a few minor things that we all know about, the engine is very reliable
-large trunk for strollers and diapers

that's what I can think of at the moment...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM

And don't forget about the pick up factor... Unlike his Corolla, when he hits the gas, he knows it.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:03 PM

No timing belt to replace.
Won't get pushed around on the highway by a semis draft.
Probably stand up much better in an accident thereby saving the children considerable harm.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:04 PM

BECAUSE HE SHOULD. Like my answer?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

With two kids (that won't be getting any smaller), the bigger maxima is the better choice. If he needs good gas mileage of a 4 cylinder then maybe a diesel or a 4 door accord.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Probably stand up much better in an accident thereby saving the children considerable harm.
ypu those little cars get pushed around by semis draft alsot. feels like it will flip over.

my answer is the max is the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM

tell him to just test drive one, thats the best way to convince him.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:15 PM

um cause our cars are PIMP..
Old 02-02-2005, 07:16 PM

Tried to convince him, but if it gets under 30mpg, his wife won't let him buy it he says.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM

he can push it to work.. then itll get infinitiy mpg... and look good rolling.. maybe
Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by iansw
Tried to convince him, but if it gets under 30mpg, his wife won't let him buy it he says.

*whipping sound effect*
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
*whipping sound effect*

WAPPPPISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Because it's way cooler than a corolla and makes driving exciting unlike a pedestrian corolla, which is merely a commuter, point a to b, car. Nobody really cares about a corolla, do they, I mean, in the sense of being a car to get excited over. It's almost been 2 years since I gave up my 02 SE 6spd for my 350Z Roadster. Don't get me wrong...I love my Z, but I wish I had kept my Max instead of trading. I didn't have to trade, just really didn't think about how much I would miss that car, and I do. maybe one day I can get another. So, tell your buddy that! if he's going to have youngins in tow, might as well do it in style, and in a way that HE can get some driving excitement out of it in the process. When he's taking turns or chirping when pulling away from a light it will make the whining in the back seat less of a bother (grin)!!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:54 PM

Honestly, why shouldn't he?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

safer in bigger car especially w/ kids
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 AM

well tell him to put a intake and y-pipe and exhaust, our cars get 28mpg? on the high way, and with those mods, im sure you can gain some gas milage. probalbly up to 30 mpg. i know he doesnt like mods, just tell him thats good for our cars. and what if they end up with another baby? then what? hey our cars come with side air bags, and that whiplash protect thingy. plus when your not driving with your kids, you can really enjoy the full potential of the max, which i believe he will be blown away by the VQ power. i did. well good luck on convincing your friend.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:05 AM

Replace the wife, then get the Max.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 AM

Let his wife drive it... Women appreciate fast and slick....

Or better yet, point out the pretty stuff...woodgrain, supple leather, smooth shifter... AND!!!!!!! The Max has a spot where she can put her sunglasses... She won't be able to resist. Then, point out the safety features and the fact that her children will more likely survive an accident with an Explorer in the Max than in a Corolla. If she is still stubborn, then they deserve a Corolla.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:21 AM

1) Dude....I never, ever want to hear from any of my friends ever again that I am PW by my wife.

2) Corollas are good cars. So are maximas.

3) No one ever laughs at a maxima. Not true for Corollas. (unless you painted your maxima bright butt lime green like some goof ball in my home town)

4) Let's say he drives 200 miles a week. And let's say he averages 35 MPG in the Corolla, and 20 in the max. Here's the math:

200 / 35 = 5.71 Gallons per week X $2 per gallon = $45.68 per month
200 / 20 = 10 Gallons per week X $2.20 per gallon = $88.00 per month

For $42 a month....I don't see the rationale, unless he is on a super tight budget. But if he needs to budget for $42 a month, then he needs to be buying a $5,000 car, not a $15,000 car. AND..... $42 amonth is $1.40 per day for night and day difference performance wise.

5) and then finally, tell him my story. I just sold my max, and then four days later I buy the same car (SE with less miles though) because I missed it so much - and could not find ANYTHING comporable for that amount of money.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Never let the wife drive it ...If he does, then he WILL get another crappola or a Damry...Once she drives it, he will never sit in the drivers seat again..As stated earlier, women like fast cars just as well as we do...And most of them are really hard on cars...They just get in and drive...And the key word in that sentence is most, not all women...hehe...

But what isn't there to admire about a 5th gen? Sleek, smooth, and fast as hell... Maxima's rock!

If he plays by her rules, then he will be able to get it...Not married yet, but have seen that what your wife/girlfriend says, goes...I don't believe in that, but you'd be amazed at what a man would do for a woman!

Good luck
Old 02-03-2005, 08:41 AM

The maxima will have a more powerful engine, larger interior space, more trunk space, more comfortable for both short and long trips, better interior build quality, and I would guess overall it will be safer to drive since it has a larger frame (with all these HUGE SUV's on the road now!!). Plus it will be just as reliable as the Toyota.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 AM

Every time I see big heads in the tiny corrola I can't help laughing. Is this reason good enough?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 AM

alright...pretty much what everyone else said...its a WAAAAY better car...my friend has a corolla and the idiot was going too fast one day and rear ended someone, and he had his seatbelt on...well even though it was a minor accident (the truck's bumper was barely dented" his car was totaled and he was in the hospital for a week...now i've heard about people driving max's that flip or are involved in some other kind of serious accident and walk out w/out a scratch...just take that into consideration...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
is invisible

If he's not an enthusiast and worried about fuel economy why should he get a Maxima? There are plenty of other cars that will do the job.
IMHO, he should get a 4-cyl Camry (time to chime in Jeff!). Great gas mileage, interior room, better quality, reliability, resale value, and if he likes Toyota that much, he might as well stick with the brand.
I'd put a 4-cyl Accord as a close 2nd.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
sooo true....also you won't fear getting on the highway......when i had to drive one of those one time and pull onto the highway i floored it and the thing just revved like a nut and went nowhere....i was like is this thing broken? just scary driving those things....and yes the max is safer i've seen some nasty accidents involving maximas and people walking away from some crazy stuff.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yup Coolmax That is probably the best thing to do. Buy a 4 cylinder Camry. All the mileage of a 4 cylinder and all the room of a larger sedan. Don't know if it tops out the 30mpg thing but it's sure a hell of alot more than the maxima.

I drove a rental Camry for a few weeks. Was a very nice car. Peppy and great gas mileage. When we drove to Canada, I was getting well over 450 miles on a 12-13 gal refill.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
*whipping sound effect*
my thoughts exactly...

someone else mentioned somehting about the 4-cyl Camry or 4-cyl accord... those are definately cars to consider...

also, someone mentioned something about corolla getting 35mpg and maxima getting 20... i dont think the difference is that severe... depending on how he drives, the change in gas expenditures should be marginal. I used to get insanely good mileage out of my 4th gen, I would venture to say that it got 25+ constantly...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:40 AM

he should get a max cause then he can pick up all the hot ladies , ( even though he is married and has kids, why not keep the tradition goin , pick up another woman and have some kids with her too, then after the max he can get the pathfinder armada and so forth....) j/k if he is still indecisive between a corroded, i mean corolla, and a max- after taking a max for a drive- then maybe you should convince your buddy to get a kia! since he doesn't like upgrading maybe he will like downgrading! just tell him that everybody here on the org. said to get a max - you can even tell him even the people on the toyota orgs said to get a max too! peace
Old 02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
vsamoylov

my friedns be clowining on me cause i drive a sedan when they all drive old schools muscle cars but i really dont care becasue i am still faster and i get better gas mileage.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

Where ever you are getting 25+, he would be getting 35+ in a 4 cyl camry.

Originally Posted by jrod1014
, I would venture to say that it got 25+ constantly...
Old 02-03-2005, 11:26 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Yup Coolmax That is probably the best thing to do. Buy a 4 cylinder Camry. All the mileage of a 4 cylinder and all the room of a larger sedan. Don't know if it tops out the 30mpg thing but it's sure a hell of alot more than the maxima.

I drove a rental Camry for a few weeks. Was a very nice car. Peppy and great gas mileage. When we drove to Canada, I was getting well over 450 miles on a 12-13 gal refill.
Gave into the Gayry, eh?

Manual transmission 24/33
Automatic transmission 24/34

Mileage Estimates (mpg city/highway)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Well -

His wife and him (by proxy I think, but I never know) are both extremely liberal save-the-earth types.

Vegitarians, kids go to "Community School", etc,etc....

So the gas mileage thing trumps everything in their minds....

He's ridden in my car before and loved it - but like I said - his wife seems to always have the last word. It's like he wants to be a guy, but he can't.

Feel sorry for him.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Get a hybrid and put their kids on the roof of the car. Maxima are known not to save gas. The guy is wip big time.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Well, he is my buddy and I don't want to dog on him....

Let's just say he chooses to not have the stress of having to make the decisions in his household.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 PM

Well, he is my buddy and I don't want to dog on him....

Let's just say he chooses to not have the stress of having to make the decisions in his household.
DUDE...this thread is getting more and more way OT. BUT....that being said..... You are doing your boy a huge disservice by atleast not giving him the support to stand up for himself. If he lets his wife make ALL the decisions, not only will his kids grow up to not have any confidince in him, their personal confidince will be lacking as well! (esp if they are boys - my wife read that children are influenced 90% by their same sex parent).

This is getting way beyond cars....and we are talking about some joker none of us know or will ever meet. And who knows...maybe he is just whipped about the car thing.....but trust me....if this is how he is with all facets of their relationship.....it will get worse and worse until he hates himself. (have seen my own father go through this with every wife, and he is now on his third, and same thing is happening). ALSO (last point) WOMEN LIKE FOR A MAN TO TAKE CHARGE AND BE A MAN !!!!!!!!! - they do NOT LIKE to be the one all the time making ALL the decisions - they want a confident, intelligent partner that GIVES A DAMN - and one that will stand up for that!

OKAY- no more about this!! (from me, anyways)
Old 02-03-2005, 12:56 PM

there have already been a lot of good points made here so I'll just say...

so that some day, years from now, his kids can reflect back on their youth and talk about the sweet ride that their Old Man used to drive.

Quick Reply: Why should my buddy buy a 5th Gen.