5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 PM

Bose Issues

So I've been lucky to have no problems with my Bose system so far...

But I just noticed that my subwoofer is not working. The rest of the speakers are fine, and the fuses are fine. I'm not good with electrical/audio equiptment. I guess I should just take it to a place that deals with stereos....

Has anyone else had issues with their subwoofer?
Old 02-04-2005, 05:13 AM

Mine has been messed up for over a year. I narrowed it down to. ..... this part circled in yellow. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...oseSubAmpR.htm

At first I could just like have the radio going and push up on it and it would start working again. Now it does not work at all, I have tried buying one off of somebody on here but nobody has one. It is covered in foam, you can just try pushing up on it to see if it fixes it.

It will probably cost alot to get it repaired, could probably get a better one for cheaper. I am not paying more than 20bux to fix mine, if I cant get it for that cheap I wont fix it.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by zamac_man
Mine has been messed up for over a year. I narrowed it down to. ..... this part circled in yellow. http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...oseSubAmpR.htm

At first I could just like have the radio going and push up on it and it would start working again. Now it does not work at all, I have tried buying one off of somebody on here but nobody has one. It is covered in foam, you can just try pushing up on it to see if it fixes it.
I had to do the same thing as zamac. I would actually pull over on the highway just so that I could get my bass back! Mine completely stop working about a month ago. I'm thinking the connectors are messed up, so when I get a chance and the weather gets better I'll try to splice the wires without the connectors.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:25 AM

hmm... interesting to see more people pouring in with this problem. Mine hasn't worked in the past 5 months. Bought 2 or 3 subwoofers and they didn't work. One had the connector wrapped in foam (thats where the problem is) & MINE still didn't work. Thinking maybe it's the amp now. But I know the problem lies in that little chip because when u wiggle the wire, the sub comes on but after too much wiggling it'll stop playing.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:39 AM

So you bought a new wireing harness and it still did not work? Do you think it is that chip in the harness?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:38 AM

my hole car is under warranty. Do you think it will cover the non working sub?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Mine still didn't work other getting a "used" harness. Hopefully the .org member who sold it to me was honest in a "working product". But, for now, I'm gonna see if its the amp; I had the wires plugged in wrong at one point, so, I'm thinking something went wrong. This was after the subwoofer stop playing of course. I was trying different combinations to determine the problem.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM

I had the same problem...I think its some kind of realy in the chip when you move around the big black thing on the chip it comes on and off...i put duck tape around it and it hasnt cut out since....bad manufacturing job BOSE!!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KmaxSE
I had the same problem...I think its some kind of realy in the chip when you move around the big black thing on the chip it comes on and off...i put duck tape around it and it hasnt cut out since....bad manufacturing job BOSE!!!!
are you talking about the black thing on the wireing harness?

like seen in this picture?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:03 PM

does anyon'e rattle in the rear deck? Mine does. Our TL has a Bose system and there are no rattles. Will the dealer fix things like this under warranty?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 PM

My sub is fine, but that's about the only thing on my whole system that is. I'm about ready to throw that piece of crap in the trash.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:41 AM

I just got my car back yesterday from the dealer for the same problem. The Nissan official fix is to bypass it out and charge you $54 doolars for a simple two wire harness that is 5 inches long($286 parts/labor). That part is a lowpass passive crossover, we used these back in the "80's, it is very cost effecttive. You can go to your local audio shop and buy it very cheap or just buy pass it. Most aftermarket componet systems come with them for highs and the mids

The warrenty covers everything except the radio and components
Old 02-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Fix For Inop Bose Sub

Ok here it is down and dirty. There are three wires(black, orange and blue) going into the switch beside the sub and two wires(orange and black) leading out. On the side with the two wires, splice into the Orange wire and connect it to a + power source. I hooked mine to the red wire powering the trunk light bulb. Maybe one day I will do a nice write up.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jazzyjay
Ok here it is down and dirty. There are three wires(black, orange and blue) going into the switch beside the sub and two wires(orange and black) leading out. On the side with the two wires, splice into the Orange wire and connect it to a + power source. I hooked mine to the red wire powering the trunk light bulb. Maybe one day I will do a nice write up.
is this the wires you are talking about?

or is it something else?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Yes Exactly The Ones
Old 02-06-2005, 07:25 AM

Now I am confused. You said it is this set of wires with black, orange and blue. Going into the little green board the connect. On the board there are words written on it with wires leading to it (Orange goes to +B)(Blue goes to Amp)(Black goes to GND). Comeing out on the other side (Blue goes to ON\OFF)(Orange is blank)(Black is GND). You said there is only two wires coming off? Do you have pictures of this?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 PM

Circuit pic

My circuit looks like this. I don't know if the circuit varys for different years.I can't get the pic to work but you can see it AT .
Old 02-08-2005, 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the replys...I think I may just upgrade to a better subwoofer, any suggestions on which brand?

However, my SES light came on today, so I may have to save money to get that fixed first, booooo! I'll probably go to Autozone, and see what the problem is. I hate that SES light!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by frack1217
Thanks for all the replys...I think I may just upgrade to a better subwoofer, any suggestions on which brand?

However, my SES light came on today, so I may have to save money to get that fixed first, booooo! I'll probably go to Autozone, and see what the problem is. I hate that SES light!
good brands are eclipse, kicker, jl. Might want to ask questions like this on the audio part of the board
Old 03-27-2005, 02:14 PM

My circuit looks like this. I don't know if the circuit varys for different years.I can't get the pic to work but you can see it AT .
I have tried doing what you said but no luck. I could not find the power to the light but I tried another one. Here is a better picture of mine.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 PM

I just got my car back yesterday from the dealer for the same problem. The Nissan official fix is to bypass it out and charge you $54 doolars for a simple two wire harness that is 5 inches long($286 parts/labor). That part is a lowpass passive crossover, we used these back in the "80's, it is very cost effecttive. You can go to your local audio shop and buy it very cheap or just buy pass it. Most aftermarket componet systems come with them for highs and the mids

The warrenty covers everything except the radio and components
does anyone know where I can buy this lowpass passive crossover?