5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help Me Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 AM

Help Me Please!

Im having a problem with may car. I dont have a problem with my transmission but I am experiencing really slow acceleration, the gears change but the the car accelerates real sluggish. Im getting VERY poor gas mileage. This is the story, I bought a Lemon from Nemmit Nissan on hillside av and Im still fixing all the problems they sold the car to me with. The service engine light came on once, but I guess so they wouldn't lose anymore money they just cleared the code and didnt tell me what was the problem. They have been jerking me around since the day I bought the car. I've since taken the car to another dealership and they cant find the code, yet my car is still slow! Somebody help me please.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 AM

maybe you got a banana in the tailpipe.

what year is the car? how many miles? warranty?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 AM

LOL, I have a 2001 SE with 37k
Old 02-08-2005, 06:30 AM

Oh yea, I have a warranty also but Nothing is covered unless the Service engine light comes on
Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Go to autozone, have them check the code, and fix it, probably a MAF or coils.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 AM

1. fluid level
2. park / neutral switch adjustment
3. shift solenoid valves
4. control valve assembly
5. running in safe mode
Old 02-08-2005, 07:38 AM

Could The ignition coils actually cause the car to drive this way? I bought the car with 30k, do they normally go bad at such low mileage? If I take the car to autozone I doubt they can find a code if nissan couldnt find it
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 AM

I still appreciate the suggestions, I'll keep all of them in mind as I check out each possibility
Old 02-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by AngryMax
Could The ignition coils actually cause the car to drive this way? I bought the car with 30k, do they normally go bad at such low mileage? If I take the car to autozone I doubt they can find a code if nissan couldnt find it
1. yes the coils can go bad.
2. you would be surprised what autozone may find. dealers suck and will rip you off. bring it somewhere else.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gsilk
1. yes the coils can go bad.
2. you would be surprised what autozone may find. dealers suck and will rip you off. bring it somewhere else.

I agree with dealers ripping people off but I know someone on the inside and he personally hooked the computer up to my car in front of me to see if it could read any codes. Everything came up fine. So basically I got screwed when Nemmit nissan cleared the code the first time because it wont come back up. The main thing Im wondering now is if the problems can occur without setting off the service engine light?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you also get rotten egg smell inside the car too when u accelerate or try to accelerate hard?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:26 AM

LMAO! YEAH, WTF IS THAT?! I thought I was the only one!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 AM

From the way it sounds, you might want to have the codes checked just in case they disabled the SES light. Shady dealership, man, good luck with them.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Do you also get rotten egg smell inside the car too when u accelerate or try to accelerate hard?
You have to have the same problem I have!

Originally Posted by Skizza20
From the way it sounds, you might want to have the codes checked just in case they disabled the SES light. Shady dealership, man, good luck with them.
Thanks for the heads up, Im about to take it to autozone this afternoon
Old 02-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ihavea5spd
3. shift solenoid valves

Can Someone explain to me what a solenoid valve actually is? Its possible that I may know it under a different name
Old 02-08-2005, 09:31 AM

Im also thinking it may be my Variable Intake. I was doing some reading and found This to be a problem for quite a few maxima owners.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 AM

Has the previous work done by the dealers been covered under the Emissions Warranty? Is this car stock? Here's a dumb question....does the car "roll freely". Sounds like the tranny is at least shifting thru the gears. Has the car been driven on the road with an OBD ll or Consult ll scan tool hooked up? The dealer cleared the code/s and at least temporarily put out the SES light, but I doubt that he would disable the SES light. I believe that is a Federal Offence. You mentioned other issues with the car. What the heck are they??
Old 02-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Yes, I have the same problem as you. Car is sluggish, when you are cruising or whatever and you step on the gas real hard, rpm shoots up and car doesn't move, but then when u let go of gas and push the gas in slowly, car shifts and accelerates fine. Just can't do the pedal to the metal. If that's the problem you're having then you and I are on the same boat. As well as when u floor the car or give it TOO much gas, u get this nasty azz wrotten egg smell. I pulled my SES code, i got P0172 and P0175. After discussing this issue with many org members and nissan techs, it got narrowed down to either MAF sensor is bad, or my 02 sensors are bad (2 of them). So what I did instead of going to the two timing, back stabbing, son of a bi.... nissan dealership in Queens. I bought a new MAF sensor and 2 oxygen sensors Bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. I am gonna install the MAF sensor tomorrow and see if it improves. If it doesn't improve, i'll change the 02 sensors. And if that doesn't improve it, i'll have to go in to the dealership for a diagnostic test. Anyway, another test you can do is, park the car, and step on the gas. See if your rpm shoots up and drops below 700 and goes back to normal. If that happens, then ur MAF is acting up. My rpm drops below 700 to like 400 and goes back up. I'm so frustrated with this problem, it's not even funny. From the annoying SES down to my car acting like a honda civic.. and even worse, my girl nagging and nagging about the rotten egg smell. GRRRRRRRR.

To top it all off, i just put new spark plugs and coils.. but can't even enjoy them cuz the car does not move.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I Miss My Maxima

I think Nissan just needs to go ahead and add:

"Replace all 6 ignition coils"
"Replace both (or all 4) o2 sensors"
"Reflash ECU"
"Replace MAF"

to their 60,000 mile maintenance interval -- it sure would solve lots of complaints.

Hell, why not go ahead and add the catalytic converter to that list.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:25 PM

Yes, I have the same problem as you. Car is sluggish, when you are cruising or whatever and you step on the gas real hard, rpm shoots up and car doesn't move, but then when u let go of gas and push the gas in slowly, car shifts and accelerates fine. Just can't do the pedal to the metal. If that's the problem you're having then you and I are on the same boat. As well as when u floor the car or give it TOO much gas, u get this nasty azz wrotten egg smell. I pulled my SES code, i got P0172 and P0175. After discussing this issue with many org members and nissan techs, it got narrowed down to either MAF sensor is bad, or my 02 sensors are bad (2 of them). So what I did instead of going to the two timing, back stabbing, son of a bi.... nissan dealership in Queens. I bought a new MAF sensor and 2 oxygen sensors Bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. I am gonna install the MAF sensor tomorrow and see if it improves. If it doesn't improve, i'll change the 02 sensors. And if that doesn't improve it, i'll have to go in to the dealership for a diagnostic test. Anyway, another test you can do is, park the car, and step on the gas. See if your rpm shoots up and drops below 700 and goes back to normal. If that happens, then ur MAF is acting up. My rpm drops below 700 to like 400 and goes back up. I'm so frustrated with this problem, it's not even funny. From the annoying SES down to my car acting like a honda civic.. and even worse, my girl nagging and nagging about the rotten egg smell. GRRRRRRRR.

To top it all off, i just put new spark plugs and coils.. but can't even enjoy them cuz the car does not move.

Ok then, you and I are definetly on the same boat. Theres just one difference. My engine is not showing any codes whats so ever. I dont know what happend after they cleared the light. All I know is it came on initially after a hard acceleration. The egg smell comes and goes with my car. I'd say its there about 80% of the time after I put the pedal the floor. Please keep me informed about your progress. Hopefully one of us can find the problem soon and get it fixed. I plan to get the MAF changed sometime within the next 2 weeks. If that doesn't help the situation then at least I'll still have a brand new MAF and 1 less worry.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
Has the previous work done by the dealers been covered under the Emissions Warranty? Is this car stock? Here's a dumb question....does the car "roll freely". Sounds like the tranny is at least shifting thru the gears. Has the car been driven on the road with an OBD ll or Consult ll scan tool hooked up? The dealer cleared the code/s and at least temporarily put out the SES light, but I doubt that he would disable the SES light. I believe that is a Federal Offence. You mentioned other issues with the car. What the heck are they??

The car is a completely stock 2001 SE with 37k. I bought it with 30k and it seemed fine until I drove it off the lot. You wanna know my other issues??

1. The steering wheel was off center and the car was in desperate need of an alignment. (Because of this the radio controls on the steering wheel worked only half the time).
2. The brakes were horrible, I'd touch the pedal on the highway and the car would slow down but with a serious vibration through the pedal.
3. It burns gas like a V8.
4. I could make toast waiting for the windows to roll up (With the exception of the driver window).
5. The Acceleration problem I sated above of course.
6. Last but not least, the service engine light came on.

The only problem the dealership fixed at first was the front brakes. They gave me new rotors and pads after I gave them this list of complaints within a 14 day period but they didnt touch the back ones. They also turned the service engine light but I was so mad at the time that I forgot to ask why it came on in the first place. When I came back the next day no one knew why. The service department gave me a bunch of BS about the steering problem. They kept telling me parts werent in, they were on backorder, etc. The kept giving me BS for 3 months Until I eventually came back and yelled everyone stupid. They fixed the steering problem that same week. The car does "roll freely" but 9 out of 10 times when you accelerate you get more noise than movement. I've since taken the car to another dealership to give it a tune up. The engine sounds much better now but Im still having the same problem. I wanted to changed the spark plugs but they told me the car comes with "double platinum-tipped" spark plugs that shouln't be changed until it reaches 100k. I've only had the car since september so wether any emissions work was done by the previous owner I have no clue. I 've changed the rear rotors and pads on my own and lubricated the windows. There were other problems on that list as well but thats all I can remember right now
Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

rotten egg smell = bad catalytic converter
Old 02-09-2005, 05:17 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I FIXED ITTTTT!!!

It was a BAD MAF. I just replaced my MAF, (thanks DaveB) and my car is FKIN fastTTTTTTTT. It threw me back into my seat for once. LOL. WOO HOOO..
Hey it' was the bad MAF that was causing the egg smell and lag. GOODLUCK.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM

oy yeah

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I FIXED ITTTTT!!!

It was a BAD MAF. I just replaced my MAF, (thanks DaveB) and my car is FKIN fastTTTTTTTT. It threw me back into my seat for once. LOL. WOO HOOO..
Hey it' was the bad MAF that was causing the egg smell and lag. GOODLUCK.

YESSS!! PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE, I'LL BRING THE LIQUOR AND THE GIRLS, LOL. Thanks now Im definetly replacing it friday!! Thank you to everyone in this forum. You guys definetly are a great help!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:29 PM

YESSS!! PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE, I'LL BRING THE LIQUOR AND THE GIRLS, LOL. Thanks now Im definetly replacing it friday!! Thank you to everyone in this forum. You guys definetly are a great help!
Hey man, just glad to help bro. I KNOW how frustrating it is when you pay money for a car and have great expectation from it and it does not live up to the expectations. Pisses the crap outta you. SPECIALLY when the MO FKIN dealers wanna mess with you by charging you arm and a leg for sh**. Pm me later and let me know how it turns out dude.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM

Hey man, just glad to help bro. I KNOW how frustrating it is when you pay money for a car and have great expectation from it and it does not live up to the expectations. Pisses the crap outta you. SPECIALLY when the MO FKIN dealers wanna mess with you by charging you arm and a leg for sh**. Pm me later and let me know how it turns out dude.

Great, I just found out I have another problem. The dealership refuses to change my MAF because my service engine light is not on. Just my friggin luck. I already bought the part too. If only I could prove that Nemmit Nissan disabled my service light. I"d sue the Sh*t out of them!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:55 PM

wow Man!!!! WTF with that dealer....

If I'm not wrong you were cover but the lemon law, and after the third attemp you shouldn't pay for anything....

Why you didn't call 1800 nissan1 ...

Take your car to Star Nissan.... I can't say names but make sure the Asian guy the first one take care of your care....

And YES sue the sh*t out of them.... Another tip call any channel news .....Bad publicity will burn down that place.....
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yaco_Max
wow Man!!!! WTF with that dealer....

If I'm not wrong you were cover but the lemon law, and after the third attemp you shouldn't pay for anything....

Why you didn't call 1800 nissan1 ...

Take your car to Start Nissan.... I can't say names but make sure the Asian guy the first one take care of your care....

And YES sue the sh*t out of them.... Another tip call any channel news .....Bad publicity will burn down that place.....

Im hoping you mean STAR Nissan cuz thats the place I go to now and their the ones that wont install my MAF. Im letting a local shop handle it. I wish I could sue, If I had documented everything that happend to me as it happend and if I had found out about a majority of these problems alot sooner I wouldnt have even hesitated
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Im hoping you mean STAR Nissan cuz thats the place I go to now and their the ones that wont install my MAF. Im letting a local shop handle it. I wish I could sue, If I had documented everything that happend to me as it happend and if I had found out about a majority of these problems alot sooner I wouldnt have even hesitated
Bring your car over my house in my backyard. I'll install it for you. It's easy as 1 2 3.

Yes, Star Nissan is the best dealer in Queens from what I hear. Nemet is one BAD BAD dealer. They're crooks there, my friend bought a maxima from there, for 15gz, but when he got his first payment bill. It said 20gz. They screwed him up, they changed figures after signing papers. He tried to take them to court and sue, but it was no good. They have their own lawyers. I HATE all the nissan dealerships in Queens, except Star. You can forget about warranty and all that crap from Nemet. Goodluck man.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Bring your car over my house in my backyard. I'll install it for you. It's easy as 1 2 3.

Yes, Star Nissan is the best dealer in Queens from what I hear. Nemet is one BAD BAD dealer. They're crooks there, my friend bought a maxima from there, for 15gz, but when he got his first payment bill. It said 20gz. They screwed him up, they changed figures after signing papers. He tried to take them to court and sue, but it was no good. They have their own lawyers. I HATE all the nissan dealerships in Queens, except Star. You can forget about warranty and all that crap from Nemet. Goodluck man.

Man its like your in my brain. Thanks for the offer but I got someone takin care of it for me. Usually when its just a simple bolt off and on procedure I do it my self or with a friend but my firend is the on with the tools, and right now he's out of town. One question though, Star had mention something about reprogramming the MAF. Is that neccasary or are they just tryin to get me like everyone else
Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 PM

*** Really ***

Hey, Sam !!!

I need to replace the belts can you help me out ??? I'm a little short of cash....
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM

yes this forum is great..

im just wondering:::

how much does the MAF cost and where can you get it? its the sensor you bought right
Old 02-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tisucka
yes this forum is great..

im just wondering:::

how much does the MAF cost and where can you get it? its the sensor you bought right
Call Dave Burnette, 1888 254 6060. He'll send you a MAF right to your door. He charges $80 + shipping. Great guy.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 PM

What is the MAF?? I am having similar problems and I am not sure what MAF is. I am thinking I need to replace the coils on the 00 GLE. She doesn't giddy-up like she used to.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
What is the MAF?? I am having similar problems and I am not sure what MAF is. I am thinking I need to replace the coils on the 00 GLE. She doesn't giddy-up like she used to.

Read up on this, you'll know what a MAF is.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=376605
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
maximized2

I am having the same problem too, thanks guys!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 PM

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!! You were right!!! It was the MAF!!! Its amazing how that one little thing makes such a big difference. Now the only problem I have is I might get a ticket, lol. Thank you's to everyone in this forum, especially Sammzway, you were a great help. I appreciate it. Much respect
Old 02-11-2005, 08:36 PM

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!! You were right!!! It was the MAF!!! Its amazing how that one little thing makes such a big difference. Now the only problem I have is I might get a ticket, lol. Thank you's to everyone in this forum, especially Sammzway, you were a great help. I appreciate it. Much respect
Haha, glad things worked out for you. You gonna LOVE the max now more then EVER. Enjoy that power. Just don't speed and becareful.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:21 PM

How do you know that it's bad? Can you see it? I am getting sluggish acceleration when the car is cold and I first accelerate .
Old 02-20-2005, 09:31 AM

AHHH F@#!^&!!! THIS CAR IS GETTIN ON MY DAMN NERVES. I finally fix the problem right, and the car drives good for like 2 weeks!! Then its back the sh*tty acceleration problem I had before! Could the the brand new MAF I just bought have gone bad already?!?!? Once again can somebody help me please!?!!